ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Not sure if I should be angry or not.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hewittinspain
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 266
Joined: 20 May 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

Not sure if I should be angry or not.

Post by hewittinspain »

Im a 25hr reserve that has been employed for over 3 years. Recently we have had a 3 day 25hr cover man leave and I asked my manager if I could do his duty until it was advertised (although I can't think of anybody that would want it as the other floaters are on over 30hrs). I was told that nothing could be done til after xmas which was fair enough. Anyway my manager has gone temporarily to sort out another office maybe for weeks, maybe for months and has instructed the stand in boss to give the new lad which has been employed since October 2016 the vacant cover duties but not on an official basis. I kicked off about this and the new boss said that he wont be getting set days off and that he will still be brought in more days as they cant do his contract over 3 days anyway. I spoke to my rep and although he sided with me he did tell me it wouldnt be wise to put in a grievence because technically I would be getting more hours per week as a reserve. The duty wont be advertised yet as we are unsure if we are having another office revision soon which is fair enough.

Now my point is, I do need the hours and regularly work between 35 and 39hrs a week which im happy with. Would I be better to keep my mouth shut and just carry on doing my reserve duties? Maybe the downside of this lad temporarily taking on 3 set duties a week is that he could be lumbered with 5 different duties a week or he truely might not be getting as many hours as what I could.


I did tell my rep that I will be monitoring his days off and if he starts to get more Saturdays than me then I would have cause to complain. All reseves in our office get 1 in 6 saturdays and that cover duty is 1 in 4. that to me would be discrimination. what would you do in my shoes?
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Not sure if I should be angry or not.

Post by bustedflush »

If you like your O/T yeah, I wouldn't rock the boat. The new reserve will inevitably get the dirtier end of the stick than you as you suggest. I used to frequently observe 'injustices' both perceived and real, and an experienced colleague advised me just not to think about things as they will drive you barmy and increase stress. He was right. At the end of the day you know by now a DO is generally every man for himself and collegial cooperation is limited. As the old saying goes, "Not everyone who lands you in the sh*t is your enemy, not everyone who gets you out of the sh*t is your friend, and if you're in the sh*t and happy keep your ****ing mouth shut!" :dance :dance
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Not sure if I should be angry or not.

Post by koolishy67 »

Mouth shut