ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Eating raw garlic at work

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bogues2009
Posts: 87
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:20

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by bogues2009 »

Hi
After 11years witnessing how filthy some posties are at my workplace(intentionally sneezing/coughing at you, not washing their hands after leaving toilet) I decided to eat(chew) raw garlic at work to keep all the bacterias, germs away. This is my great grandparent method he used before antibiotics became popular.
It keeps me healthy and helps overcome any colds etc much quicker.
However, as you can imagine some colleagues are not happy and complained to DOM. He asked me to stop eating it at work and asked Union Rep to speak to me as well. He however said cant see a problem with that.
Any thoughts???
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by Postie45 »

thoughts are - you probably stink and i wouldnt want to work near you, sorry
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by Justanotherstar »

As horrible as garlic smells at least you don't smell like you haven't washed your arse for 10 years like a certain person at a certain office i've worked in :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :Sick :Sick :Sick :Sick :Sick :Sick
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by nickbsmooth »

Justanotherstar wrote:As horrible as garlic smells at least you don't smell like you haven't washed your arse for 10 years like a certain person at a certain office i've worked in :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :Sick :Sick :Sick :Sick :Sick :Sick
Maybe we've worked at the same office or perhaps every office has one stinky arse, I'm sure most have a few arseholes
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by daveyeff »

a bloke at ours was taken in the office and spoken to about his personal hygiene. he said...'' that's the way a blokes supposed to smell''. I still laugh about it to this day. :Very Happy
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by Nigel1505 »

We have a couple in our office who think its sociable to drop their guts and stink the place out, in front/behind of everyone. The DOM even thinks its funny and says nothing to them. Its bloody unsociable, especially at work in front of women as well. Call me old fashioned, but what moral standards have they got, very little it seems. But they get away with it and don't seem to care a jot about how they demean themselves. Would they do it on a first date..............probably. :speak to the hand
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by enskied »

Or you could swallow a galic capsule..? A chinese friend of mine eats a teaspoon of raw garlic mixed with honey and doesn't smell at all. I love garlic but only eat it when I am on a week off as I am one of the ones who stink after eating it, not only my breath, it comes out of my pores. I really stink after eating it.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by Chelseablue »

Garlic eater sorry but id just stay away from you, god help if you ended up my walker in shared van lol
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by daveyeff »

imagine the smell of his exchange & marts!!
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by DB1100 »

I can't see it being any worse than being near a smoker and breathing the fetid discharge out of their decomposing lungs TBH.
For we were soldiers once,and young
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by bustedflush »

I wouldn't work with somebody like that. A fart is temporary, but somebody deliberately inflicting a nauseating and pungent smell like garlic should be spoken to. It affects the colleagues and the customers too if you get in close proximity to them. I remember a 'race row' years ago (it wasn't a race-thing but naturally the professional umbrage-takers made it one) when a cinema manager asked an Asian couple to leave as nobody would sit around them because they stank of it - quite rightly too.

Yes, I accept the point that a smoker may smell of tobacco when just having had a fag or every office has a person who smells like a badger's ballbag but to deliberately make yourself nauseating to others? Surely that should be solely the domain of managers.....
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by Chewster »

I rather like the smell of garlic personally, reminds me of my Italian grandparents lol. But yeah if it's putting other people off, and you're doing it deliberately, then I'm sorry but the DOM is quite right to have words with you. If other people's smells/habits are offending you so much then have a word with the DOM rather than wandering around with a clove of garlic all day. That's just inconsiderate. Personally I'm a bit of a sweaty betty so I always have a can of deodorant at work with me. I'm also a smoker so I always have chewing gum with me. Common courtesy and empathy for your colleagues no matter how much of a smelly arsehole (both literally and figuratively) they may be.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by Creditshampoo »

Just stop being terrible
rhia
Posts: 27
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 15:09
Gender: Male

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by rhia »

The wife smells of fish but i still love her,work together for your love of royal mail :nana :nana :nana :nana
bogues2009
Posts: 87
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:20

Eating raw garlic at work

Post by bogues2009 »

It looks like the problem lies in the fact that usually there is only one person in the group who eats garlic therefore ''upsetting'' majority. If more people were doing it, it wouldn't be that highlighted. We have more and more ladies at work now and the amount of perfume there are using is unbelievable..but people are worried to complain about them not to be accused of harassment! I also dare to say that eating garlic increases your chance of winning one of the Ford Fiestas!!! :dance