ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to take a sick day

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Decpassat06
Posts: 65
Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by Decpassat06 »

Hello everyone, I'm still new here been a postie for 3 months or so, don't want to go into to much detail but tonight I'm feeling rather ill, not been of the toilet all afternoon.... what do I do? Am I aloud to take a sick day or will I get the sack?
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by Acca Dacca »

yes but unpaid I'm sure

you won't get sacked
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Decpassat06
Posts: 65
Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by Decpassat06 »

Thanks, do I just text the manager tomorrow? It's unlikely I'll be getting any sleep so could do it tonight
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by Acca Dacca »

Decpassat06 wrote:Thanks, do I just text the manager tomorrow? It's unlikely I'll be getting any sleep so could do it tonight
I wouldn't text

Phone in at least half hour before you are due to start
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by Nondescript »

Decpassat06 wrote:Thanks, do I just text the manager tomorrow? It's unlikely I'll be getting any sleep so could do it tonight
Phone in tomorrow as soon as you think the manager will be in - the earlier you phone, the easier it is for him/her to arrange cover. Not that arranging cover is any of your concern, but it will probably make the overpaid and under-employed twat less argumentative.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by rehabron »

Decpassat06 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm still new here been a postie for 3 months or so, don't want to go into to much detail but tonight I'm feeling rather ill, not been of the toilet all afternoon.... what do I do? Am I aloud to take a sick day or will I get the sack?
If you are unwell and unable to work and inform your line manager of this giving him/her sufficient time to cover your duty then there is no fear of you being sacked but as you are fairly new and have not mentioned that you may be still on a probation period then there is the likelihood that this may be extended. Your absence will be unpaid and should it progress into further days you willreceive SSP from the 4th day of absence. First 7 days would be a self-certificate and thereafter a GP fit note.
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by PHARRY »

Decpassat06 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm still new here been a postie for 3 months or so, don't want to go into to much detail but tonight I'm feeling rather ill, not been of the toilet all afternoon.... what do I do? Am I aloud to take a sick day or will I get the sack?

ALLOWED
Decpassat06
Posts: 65
Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by Decpassat06 »

PHARRY wrote:
Decpassat06 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm still new here been a postie for 3 months or so, don't want to go into to much detail but tonight I'm feeling rather ill, not been of the toilet all afternoon.... what do I do? Am I aloud to take a sick day or will I get the sack?

ALLOWED
What?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3726
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by yellowbelly »

Decpassat06 wrote:
PHARRY wrote:
Decpassat06 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm still new here been a postie for 3 months or so, don't want to go into to much detail but tonight I'm feeling rather ill, not been of the toilet all afternoon.... what do I do? Am I aloud to take a sick day or will I get the sack?

ALLOWED
What?
He is referring to your use of 'aloud' instead of 'allowed' but he missed the 'of' instead of 'off'....not your biggest concern in the situation you were in
I would imagine LOL, hope you're feeling better.
newbie75
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jan 2017, 13:41
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by newbie75 »

Can a line manager have the right to phone me and demand me have a face to face interview?
I have been off since Monday and ive been asked to come in to the DO tomorrow to have a face to face
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by Acca Dacca »

newbie75 wrote:Can a line manager have the right to phone me and demand me have a face to face interview?
I have been off since Monday and ive been asked to come in to the DO tomorrow to have a face to face
He can ask but you can say no
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
newbie75
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jan 2017, 13:41
Gender: Male

How to take a sick day

Post by newbie75 »

that's exactly what I said going back in the cold to do a silly face to face interviews not going to clear it up any faster
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

How to take a sick day

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=75333" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.