ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Signing for a duty

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
stephen.cal87
Posts: 72
Joined: 19 May 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by stephen.cal87 »

Can I sign for a full time duty if my contract is only 30 hours?
paul1231
Posts: 112
Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by paul1231 »

stephen.cal87 wrote:Can I sign for a full time duty if my contract is only 30 hours?
Ive held one for a year now and I'm still on a 25hour contract
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by Creditshampoo »

paul1231 wrote:
stephen.cal87 wrote:Can I sign for a full time duty if my contract is only 30 hours?
Ive held one for a year now and I'm still on a 25hour contract
1. Yes, but you'll only get it if you're the most senior applicant.

2. Get your contract increased then.
stephen.cal87
Posts: 72
Joined: 19 May 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by stephen.cal87 »

Thanks for the replies. Knew I was being fed BS as usual.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by rehabron »

Creditshampoo wrote:
paul1231 wrote:
stephen.cal87 wrote:Can I sign for a full time duty if my contract is only 30 hours?
Ive held one for a year now and I'm still on a 25hour contract
1. Yes, but you'll only get it if you're the most senior applicant.

2. Get your contract increased then.
Totally agree with " Creditshampoo" on (2). You are exactly what RM are looking for completing F/T duty on less contracted hours which will effect your holiday pay entitlement and should their be a downturn in traffic volumes you can easily be returned to your contracted hours. Get your contract substantiated to full time hours pronto.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by daveyeff »

not necessarily on seniority though. you might get it if no one else puts in for it or doesn't want it etc
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by Creditshampoo »

daveyeff wrote:not necessarily on seniority though. you might get it if no one else puts in for it or doesn't want it etc
Which is seniority
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by Creditshampoo »

daveyeff wrote:not necessarily on seniority though. you might get it if no one else puts in for it or doesn't want it etc
Which is seniority
stephen.cal87
Posts: 72
Joined: 19 May 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by stephen.cal87 »

Most of the senior members above me have already signed for duties. There are afew vacant and have been for some time now but thats another matter entirely! Apparenlty the vacant duties will be put up for signing "soon". I can see this whole revision talk messing things up however.
scorched
Posts: 44
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by scorched »

There was a list of vacant duties advertised in our office, there was a full time float and I was the only one who applied for it. I am 30 hours and the duty I applied for is 39 hours. That was 3 months ago and they are still arguing about whether to give me the duty, let alone increase my hours. Same goes for all the 30 hour people who applied for 34 hour vancancies. Where do we stand? Do they have to give us the duties and increased contract due to some kind of CWU agreement or can they just do what they like? I'm getting pissed off with it all, I feel like I have had a full time contract stolen from me.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by rehabron »

scorched wrote:There was a list of vacant duties advertised in our office, there was a full time float and I was the only one who applied for it. I am 30 hours and the duty I applied for is 39 hours. That was 3 months ago and they are still arguing about whether to give me the duty, let alone increase my hours. Same goes for all the 30 hour people who applied for 34 hour vancancies. Where do we stand? Do they have to give us the duties and increased contract due to some kind of CWU agreement or can they just do what they like? I'm getting pissed off with it all, I feel like I have had a full time contract stolen from me.
The F/T floating duty was advertised giving in the advertisement a time period to allow colleagues on sick or A/L the opportunity to apply for this post the result being that you was the only applicant and was successful so what is the argument about you having this duty ? This duty requires 39 hours and therefore your contract of employment should be aligned for this duty. Either you or your cwu rep need to inform your manager to contact HR Sheffield for a new contract to be issued. To increase the pressure put this request in writing to your manager with a copy to cwu rep and ask for a written reply.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by daveyeff »

Creditshampoo wrote:
daveyeff wrote:not necessarily on seniority though. you might get it if no one else puts in for it or doesn't want it etc
Which is seniority
no it isn't... if he gets it because no-one else wants it, he's not the most senior person is he.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Signing for a duty

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

daveyeff wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:
daveyeff wrote:not necessarily on seniority though. you might get it if no one else puts in for it or doesn't want it etc
Which is seniority
no it isn't... if he gets it because no-one else wants it, he's not the most senior person is he.

He is if he is the only 1 who applies for it. The duty should be given to the most senior of the applicants.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
scorched
Posts: 44
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by scorched »

rehabron wrote:
scorched wrote:There was a list of vacant duties advertised in our office, there was a full time float and I was the only one who applied for it. I am 30 hours and the duty I applied for is 39 hours. That was 3 months ago and they are still arguing about whether to give me the duty, let alone increase my hours. Same goes for all the 30 hour people who applied for 34 hour vancancies. Where do we stand? Do they have to give us the duties and increased contract due to some kind of CWU agreement or can they just do what they like? I'm getting pissed off with it all, I feel like I have had a full time contract stolen from me.
The F/T floating duty was advertised giving in the advertisement a time period to allow colleagues on sick or A/L the opportunity to apply for this post the result being that you was the only applicant and was successful so what is the argument about you having this duty ? This duty requires 39 hours and therefore your contract of employment should be aligned for this duty. Either you or your cwu rep need to inform your manager to contact HR Sheffield for a new contract to be issued. To increase the pressure put this request in writing to your manager with a copy to cwu rep and ask for a written reply.
Thanks for the reply!
Their argument is that there are too many full time staff in our office... then how was there a vacancy? Unfortunately it's even more up in the air now since the DOM was sacked just before Christmas. When he is replaced I will definitely do what you said, thanks.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Signing for a duty

Post by daveyeff »

the DOM was sacked! why?