ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Always working on Saturday , advices needed.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Limey
Posts: 33
Joined: 30 Sep 2011, 21:43
Gender: Male

Always working on Saturday , advices needed.

Post by Limey »

Hello all,


I been working for Royal Mail for 4 years.
I'm PT reserve postman on 24 hours contract; 4 days a week, Wednesday to Friday-start at 10am, finish at 4pm
Saturday - start at 9am, finish at 3pm.

Before I want to ask my union rep , so thought I ask here first..

Basically I always work on EVERY Saturday(apart from my A/L), that's how my social life is limited and is screwed lol.
It's annoying to ask for AL many times for Saturdays off or switch a day, which most of the time are rejected, and I would like to see my very young kids esp on Saturday or take them out for a day, but I'm stuck with working on Saturday :Sick

However, am curious if I'm entitled to have a Saturday off once a month or something??

P.s Think it would be possible for me to lose working Saturday and use those 6 hours added spread into my over working weekdays? :)
that would be epic lol.

Hope to hear for advices, cheers.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Always working on Saturday , advices needed.

Post by Postie45 »

I believe all staff are entitled to 1 in 6 or 1 in 4 saturdays it depends whats been agreed in your office. Im not guaranteeing this is the case, id speak to the union rep about it, after all hes supposed to be doing his best for you.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Always working on Saturday , advices needed.

Post by fishtank »

If you've been employed on a Wed- Sat contract your days off are fixed Sun-Tue. Was this not explained to you when you were offered the job?
Check your contract before approaching your rep, if it does state Wed-Sat you're not entitled to any Saturday off other than A/L.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Always working on Saturday , advices needed.

Post by Creditshampoo »

24 hour contract Wednesday to Friday or to Saturday?
Made me think you were working Saturday as overtime
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Always working on Saturday , advices needed.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Postie45 wrote:I believe all staff are entitled to 1 in 6 or 1 in 4 saturdays it depends whats been agreed in your office. Im not guaranteeing this is the case, id speak to the union rep about it, after all hes supposed to be doing his best for you.

At a single and first glance probably not in this case. He has been hired on a 4-day contract starting Wednesday. To me that would mean Saturdays are compulsory/contractural.

I have been at RM 14 years now and haven't had a non-leave Saturday in the last 12. But then when it got put to a vote to rotate days off, the status quo wide won.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.