ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by mickeymacca »

Any of you training or have trained for any 10k, half or Full Marathon?

How do you combine with job? Run before or after work etc

I am training for Manchester Marathon (April 2) currently doing about 25 miles a week.

Any training advice gratefully received

HNY
'Libraries gave us power'
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by Darren Bent »

do the harder running in light days not heavy day like Wednesdays. Make sure there is a balance and good diet and recovery and don't push too hard.
fussyotter
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Jul 2016, 16:33
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by fussyotter »

I'm not training for anything specific just enjoy it, I have tried running both before and after work and definitely prefer straight after work I find my muscles are properly warmed up.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by mickeymacca »

How far would you generally run after a shift fussy?



Thanks for moving this TBT,

was n't sure if this was the appropriate section,

:thumbup
'Libraries gave us power'
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Try doing a search on Running Marathons MM. I'm sure it's been discussed in depth before. :hmmmm It rings a bell because I remember being surprised that anyone would have enough energy left after their days work. :shock:

Apparently quite a few have, so instead of taking the piss, I'll just say more power to your elbow (or more usefully your legs). :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by postslippete »

Theres a few guys at our depot that must be practising some form of 'Fartlek' whilst still doing their duty. That is some light jogging in between calls interspersed with fast walking. :Very Happy
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by mickeymacca »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Try doing a search on Running Marathons MM. I'm sure it's been discussed in depth before. :hmmmm It rings a bell because I remember being surprised that anyone would have enough energy left after their days work. :shock:

Apparently quite a few have, so instead of taking the piss, I'll just say more power to your elbow (or more usefully your legs). :thumbup
Thanks DP, done a lot of running during my week in Dorset last October (Lyme Regis- Seatown- Bridport) and to be fair its quite undulating down that way, so can appreciate you being drained after a duty. Will give that a search :thumbup
'Libraries gave us power'
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by postslippete »

Actually, I wouldn't mind a round in Dorset meself


A nice duty around Weymouth Harbour or near the Jurassic coast if you please.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
fussyotter
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Jul 2016, 16:33
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by fussyotter »

mickeymacca wrote:How far would you generally run after a shift fussy?



Thanks for moving this TBT,

was n't sure if this was the appropriate section,

:thumbup
Usually about 8-10 KM
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

postslippete wrote:Actually, I wouldn't mind a round in Dorset meself


A nice duty around Weymouth Harbour or near the Jurassic coast if you please.
A lot of the coastal towns can have some bloody horrendous hilly bits. Weymouth has it's fair share. I did one duty that went down steps on one side of the road and up steps on the other! :sad: God knows why some many people retire to some parts as they're not exactly flat? The Estate Agents normally make a big thing about,... "A Level Walk to the Beach"! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by kingeric »

postslippete wrote:Theres a few guys at our depot that must be practising some form of 'Fartlek' whilst still doing their duty. That is some light jogging in between calls interspersed with fast walking. :Very Happy
There's a lot of fartlek going on on the ips after the Xmas break too.
Natagora
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by Natagora »

Twenty-five miles per week right now seems absolutely fine. Ran the Manchester marathon in 2012. Working as a postman gives you a good base anyway, but I simply ran about five miles every Monday, roughly eight on Wednesday and then about a dozen on Friday.
I'd increase the distance of the Friday run gradually until I was comfortable putting fifteen in. You should have no problem achieving this. Plenty of opportunities to take part in races between now and April though, and this is where you can get some valuable experience in. Prior to my marathon run I'd done a half-marathon the previous September, the weekly programme I specified above from January onwards, then a twenty-mile event about six weeks before the big day. This puts you on a nice upward curve where the marathon is an obvious next step, rather than a massive leap in the dark.
One more (very important), tip - from eighteen miles onwards is where you're likely to be running on empty. Put a small bag of jelly babies in the back pocket of your shorts and pop one or two each mile from then onwards. It'll make getting over the line relatively comfortable, rather then making you hit the wall and become a really miserable, utterly exhausted wreck in the closing stages, which will impact badly on your final time. Good luck!
Last edited by Natagora on 04 Jan 2017, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by mickeymacca »

Thanks for that Natagora, really useful. Some of the training plans I've seen are a little bit convoluted and are perhaps not so suitable for a postie, so that is a good guide. I've heard about the 18-20 mile stage getting a bit tricky, so will give the jelly babies a go! :thumbup
'Libraries gave us power'
gerrys
Posts: 33
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 16:15
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by gerrys »

year I joined Royal Mail I did London Marathon [2008]; the fittest I have ever been; 8 years doing delivers and my body is crying out for a rest !Good luck to you & I mean it,take things slow and only train on "easy ' days; I found cross training ie cycling & swimming helps.Your diet is important but once you get to a decent level of fitness you can eat almost anything!.I brought 'Training For Marathon For Dummies' paperback.....great advice & training tips .
Natagora
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Gender: Male

Runners - 10k half or Full Marathon?

Post by Natagora »

mickeymacca wrote:Thanks for that Natagora, really useful. Some of the training plans I've seen are a little bit convoluted and are perhaps not so suitable for a postie, so that is a good guide. I've heard about the 18-20 mile stage getting a bit tricky, so will give the jelly babies a go! :thumbup
Mickey, whatever you do, don't forget those jelly babies because they will play a crucial role!
When I ran in the twenty-mile event, I could clearly feel that I was tying up in the final two miles. Was obviously at the bottom of my fuel tank by then. Should have learnt from it for marathon day but didn't.
Instead, I got to about mile 22 and was completely washed up. Some woman in the crowd lining the streets gave me a handful of jelly babies and the effect they had was unbelievable. Just a big, instant hit of energy, which carried me over the finish line!
If I'd prepared better I would never have reached that stage of utter exhaustion. Like I said, just pop one or two from eighteen miles in and you'll be fine.