ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Flexi time advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jesscaw
Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Jan 2017, 22:49
Gender: Female

Flexi time advice

Post by Jesscaw »

Hello!
Quite new to the company(6months in) and have had the piss thoroughly taken of me by my 2 managers but the latest one takes the cake. I just want to see if it's legit.

Situation: spare at my office so sent out on a lone walk with a guy to learn it as I am going to be on it, on my own in a coming week. Finished before noon, finish time is 14:45. Manager requested I come in early the next two days "to make up the time owed" since there was no more work for me that day. The same was not asked of the guy I went out with.
As I was on the spot I agreed to it but wasn't a happy bunny. I can't find anything in my contract to say this is doable. Any advice as this will surely happen again?
stephen.cal87
Posts: 72
Joined: 19 May 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

Flexi time advice

Post by stephen.cal87 »

Provided you didn't claim til 14.45 if you finished before noon then I don't see how it is time owed. Unless you are going to fall short of your contracted hours for that week? 6months into the job they are testing to see how much you will let them get away with in my opinion.
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Flexi time advice

Post by Pompey Boy »

Don't know which DO you are at, but they will use any excuse to get people in early.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
Jesscaw
Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Jan 2017, 22:49
Gender: Female

Flexi time advice

Post by Jesscaw »

stephen.cal87 wrote:Provided you didn't claim til 14.45 if you finished before noon then I don't see how it is time owed. Unless you are going to fall short of your contracted hours for that week? 6months into the job they are testing to see how much you will let them get away with in my opinion.

Oh yes they try their luck with me. I know that. no there was no way anyone at my DO finished to their time that day as there was hardly any mail at all. We just happened to be the first ones back. they encourage most everyone to come in early and most everyone finishes before their timeI took the job as a 9am start for a reason. Majority of the walks are out before 9. But if I came in say at 820 everyday that's 3hr 20mins every week working without pay. Might be soft. Not that soft.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Flexi time advice

Post by bustedflush »

Basically he can find you work until your finishing time if you return early, that's his right. Most don't though as it makes posties work to their time and cut-off and become uncooperative. So they let you go home. If he let the rest go early and not you, that's wrong. The DIM cannot 'bank' hours it's forbidden in the agreement. What he's done is take the p!ss because you're new. He should have say asked you to prep a few D2D's or something and let you go around the average time the rest got back due to the exceptional fact you were doubled-up on a single round. But to send you home and require you to come in early to do unpaid overtime with banked hours is wrong. See your rep. :sad:
Kobi72
Posts: 43
Joined: 16 Sep 2012, 11:01
Gender: Male

Flexi time advice

Post by Kobi72 »

Have a word with your union rep..are they doing the same with everyone else? It seems like your being singled out! Ask the other guys if they go through it..it they ain't put a grievance against the manager & if that doesn't sort it,given out ceo moya a call...
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Flexi time advice

Post by rehabron »

Jesscaw wrote:Hello!
Quite new to the company(6months in) and have had the piss thoroughly taken of me by my 2 managers but the latest one takes the cake. I just want to see if it's legit.

Situation: spare at my office so sent out on a lone walk with a guy to learn it as I am going to be on it, on my own in a coming week. Finished before noon, finish time is 14:45. Manager requested I come in early the next two days "to make up the time owed" since there was no more work for me that day. The same was not asked of the guy I went out with.
As I was on the spot I agreed to it but wasn't a happy bunny. I can't find anything in my contract to say this is doable. Any advice as this will surely happen again?
You finished this lone walk so early because you were being supervised by a another colleague who has knowledge of the walk and because there was two of you your colleague knew that this could be completed early and would probably get job and finish while the manager is not allowing you the same conditions as you are a new. On the day of your earlier finishing time the DOM should have given you the opportunity on how he wanted the unworked time to be repaid that was acceptable to you as you could have stayed on that day until 14.45 hrs if you so wished as it is not your fault that the DOM had no other work for you. You should have agreed a time that was suitable to you to repay the time back and you could have stated that your colleague has not been asked to repay back hours but being new you would not have wanted to push this point. The possibility of this being repeated when you are doing this walk on your own will be few and you can bear in mind your repayment of hours should there be higher volumes of mail in the future then you will know if unable to finish on you contract hours to advise this DOM in advance that you will be using the cutting off procedure.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Flexi time advice

Post by Creditshampoo »

See rep. Can't treat people differently and it's the managements job to find work for you on THAT day there is no need to make up hours any other day of the week