ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
Not my office, but I'm curious.
A van share pair were on the way back after a delivery. They had an accident. The manager is incandescent with rage apparently, as the passenger can offer no help. He has no idea what happened. Passenger is worried about telling the truth (either had eyes closed or was texting, I forget) as he thinks manager won't take that well.
In my opinion, if managers phone or text us, which they do, then it's OK to use your phone at any time. If he had his eyes closed, that is OK as well. I often close my eyes as a passenger.
So.. as a passenger, do I have a responsibility to watch the road, be aware of whats happening with regards to roads / driving etc, or am I OK to go on being blissfully unaware, staring into space or closing my eyes?
A van share pair were on the way back after a delivery. They had an accident. The manager is incandescent with rage apparently, as the passenger can offer no help. He has no idea what happened. Passenger is worried about telling the truth (either had eyes closed or was texting, I forget) as he thinks manager won't take that well.
In my opinion, if managers phone or text us, which they do, then it's OK to use your phone at any time. If he had his eyes closed, that is OK as well. I often close my eyes as a passenger.
So.. as a passenger, do I have a responsibility to watch the road, be aware of whats happening with regards to roads / driving etc, or am I OK to go on being blissfully unaware, staring into space or closing my eyes?
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
does any passenger in any vehicle have a responsibility to watch the road.......no don't think so
the passenger can be txting....reading....sleeping no responsibility to the road.
the passenger can be txting....reading....sleeping no responsibility to the road.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
The pressure is off for a non-driver as they don't drive. Whereas the driver is ultimately responsible for the safety of both themselves and of the passenger.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
I'm glad you both agree with me. I can't see the managers point at all. He seems to think the passenger should be watching everything.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
You should inform your manager's that there is nothing more dangerous than someone trying to drive a vehicle from the passenger seat, a driver has to concentrate on driving and not face distractions from someone trying to second guess potential hazards. I made the mistake of letting my passenger decide if the road was clear once, it almost killed both of us.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
NewPostieUK wrote:I'm glad you both agree with me. I can't see the managers point at all. He seems to think the passenger should be watching everything.
It's Royal Mail not the World Rally Championship! There are NO co-drivers as far as I'm aware. It's the insured driver who is 100% responsible and whether the passenger seat is occupied or not is irrelevant. To question the passenger as to what they saw is reasonable but that's as far as it goes. If they saw nothing, for whatever reason, no foul.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
I would assume that if the accident was another drivers fault..... My P&L Partner would leap to my Defence.
On the other hand if it was my fault... I'd appreciate him being asleep at the time.
On the other hand if it was my fault... I'd appreciate him being asleep at the time.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
In the event of a serious accident where death or serious injury occurred the truth is what you tell turning a blind eye is immoral. To be fair you should act as if the other car was you or a family member driving and if the R/M driver was at fault so be it.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
To be fair op has stated passenger has no idea what happened so if u have,nt seen anything you can,t tell what happened passenger has no duty of care as he is not driving.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
The point is, the manager says the passenger should have been paying attention, he can't understand why he didn't see anything. Passenger saw nothing, no idea what happened.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
ehhh so what ? let the manager have a go at trying to take any conduct because of this lolNewPostieUK wrote:The point is, the manager says the passenger should have been paying attention, he can't understand why he didn't see anything. Passenger saw nothing, no idea what happened.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
Postie45 wrote:ehhh so what ? let the manager have a go at trying to take any conduct because of this lolNewPostieUK wrote:The point is, the manager says the passenger should have been paying attention, he can't understand why he didn't see anything. Passenger saw nothing, no idea what happened.
The Judge at an ET

Even based on a reasonable belief defence by RM, that the passenger is lying or being less than candid with the full truth, I don't think it would work because there are enough work related tasks the passenger could be doing that would make it impossible for them to observe the driver and the road.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
No its the passengers responsibility to belt up but I do ask my passengers to do so. With a bit of luck the new tracking devices will stop dangerous drivers before they harm anybody.postslippete wrote:The pressure is off for a non-driver as they don't drive. Whereas the driver is ultimately responsible for the safety of both themselves and of the passenger.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2029
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
Isn't the driver required to make sure that every passenger is wearing their seatbelt correctly and any fine for not doing so is issued to the driver?cpsteve wrote:No its the passengers responsibility to belt up but I do ask my passengers to do so. With a bit of luck the new tracking devices will stop dangerous drivers before they harm anybody.postslippete wrote:The pressure is off for a non-driver as they don't drive. Whereas the driver is ultimately responsible for the safety of both themselves and of the passenger.
-
kingeric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
- Gender: Male
P&L Does passenger have 'driving' responsibilities?
Nope. Once you hit 14 years of age the law says that you're responsible for wearing your own seat belt. Nothing to do with the driver.A2B wrote:Isn't the driver required to make sure that every passenger is wearing their seatbelt correctly and any fine for not doing so is issued to the driver?cpsteve wrote:No its the passengers responsibility to belt up but I do ask my passengers to do so. With a bit of luck the new tracking devices will stop dangerous drivers before they harm anybody.postslippete wrote:The pressure is off for a non-driver as they don't drive. Whereas the driver is ultimately responsible for the safety of both themselves and of the passenger.