ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Days off after Christmas and new year

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
BE89
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 Dec 2016, 15:51
Gender: Male

Days off after Christmas and new year

Post by BE89 »

I am a reserve and was told I would not get a day off this week due to the manager making sure all shifts were covered whilst the full timers who take priority get their day off, however I was told by the manager that instead I will be issued two days off next week, week commencing 2nd Jan. The rota went up today and I have only been given 1 day off next week. Usually always shafted with Tuesday off every week then the 1 time it falls after a bank holiday guess what, I'm working Tuesday. Absolute joke management. A college said you should get bank holiday pay for not having a day off?? The manager hasn't said anything about this to me. I Wasn't asked if I wanted a day off or a day's pay, and have no option but to go along with whatever the manager says I guess.

Just wondering if any one else has ever been in this situation and would be able to clear this situation up for me. Thanks
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Days off after Christmas and new year

Post by yellowbelly »

Zarkandar wrote:
BE89 wrote:I am a reserve and was told I would not get a day off this week due to the manager making sure all shifts were covered whilst the full timers who take priority get their day off, however I was told by the manager that instead I will be issued two days off next week, week commencing 2nd Jan. The rota went up today and I have only been given 1 day off next week. Usually always shafted with Tuesday off every week then the 1 time it falls after a bank holiday guess what, I'm working Tuesday. Absolute joke management. A college said you should get bank holiday pay for not having a day off?? The manager hasn't said anything about this to me. I Wasn't asked if I wanted a day off or a day's pay, and have no option but to go along with whatever the manager says I guess.

Just wondering if any one else has ever been in this situation and would be able to clear this situation up for me. Thanks
You get bank holiday pay , but he won't tell you that
I would make sure that you get which ever you want, I'm pretty sure YOU get the choice (the experienced guys will on here
will be able to quote the reference for this) - either day off in lieu or the pay. However by the sound of it, it sounds like your office
might be a nightmare to get days off so personally I would go for the pay (unless you're really desperate to bank the day off in the hope you'll be
able to book it sometime).

Edit: Yes, it's in another thread - http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=77889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Days off after Christmas and new year

Post by bustedflush »

BE89 wrote:I am a reserve and was told I would not get a day off this week due to the manager making sure all shifts were covered whilst the full timers who take priority get their day off, however I was told by the manager that instead I will be issued two days off next week, week commencing 2nd Jan. The rota went up today and I have only been given 1 day off next week. Usually always shafted with Tuesday off every week then the 1 time it falls after a bank holiday guess what, I'm working Tuesday. Absolute joke management. A college said you should get bank holiday pay for not having a day off?? The manager hasn't said anything about this to me. I Wasn't asked if I wanted a day off or a day's pay, and have no option but to go along with whatever the manager says I guess.

Just wondering if any one else has ever been in this situation and would be able to clear this situation up for me. Thanks

Yep, the life of the reserve, shat on from every height and angle. Someone more 'favourable' than you felt they deserved the long weekend more, or the manager gave it to a favourite. Suddenly that dead, quiet and quick Tuesday that acts as a rest for the posties (and you don't get the benefit of working usually) becomes desirable as a day off because it will effectively be a 'busy Monday' with loads of flats and mail stemming from the Bank Hol weekend backlog and award a 3-day break to boot! :evil/mad :evil/mad
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Days off after Christmas and new year

Post by Postie45 »

to be fair its probably good management, i mean if its going to be a busy day they will need extra help.... i know that doesnt OP much and i feel your pain
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Days off after Christmas and new year

Post by Creditshampoo »

Make sure you average out 39 hours a week as Tuesday is a shorter day
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Days off after Christmas and new year

Post by rubberbond »

Hit them with a grievance,it's clearly breaching national agreements,just don't be fobbed off.
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Days off after Christmas and new year

Post by telithowitis »

You are entitled to be paid for the bank holiday if they give you a rest day on it, work place grievance if it doesn't happen.
It's a legal entitlement as an addition to annual leave but depends on how many days your contract is, people with 4 or 5 day a week contracts are entitled to all 8 bank holidays', less than 4 get them pro rata- see previous threads