ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rest day bank holiday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dafydd
Posts: 8
Joined: 21 Dec 2014, 16:46
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by dafydd »

Hi guys.
I am a FT duty holder, my rest day next week is Monday 2nd which is a bank holiday. Today I asked the DOM if I could have it paid as overtime rather than a days holiday in lieau. His reply, "no you can't as I've already done next weeks forecast, so can't change the hours I've input, you'll have to have a holiday in lieu" Am I too late asking or is he fobbing me off?
Any help would be great guys? :Very Happy
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by DiamondSmiles »

You can have either the money or the day off. My day off fell on Boxing Day and the manager came around today to ask what I wanted. Ask again, if he still says no have a word with your Rep.
Destiny
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
Gender: Male
Location: North

Rest day bank holiday

Post by Destiny »

Trying it on he is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by bustedflush »

Our office admin woman used to come round and ask us in these circumstances if we wanted a day's extra pay or additional days holiday. It's your right to choose, tell the DIM they are talking scheisse. :d'oh!
dafydd
Posts: 8
Joined: 21 Dec 2014, 16:46
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by dafydd »

thanks for your responses guys :Applause
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by wannabeek »

I think it is his fault if your decision messes up his forecast.

He should have asked you sooner because it is up to you which option you choose - day off or pay.

He can't decide that for you and it is his fault that he didn't give you that option, or gave it so late that your decision would mess up his forecast.

However, as well as being an awkward old git, I am also a realist. Myself, I would tell him to do one. However, it may be in your interests to just shrug your shoulders, think him a pillock and get on with it. Some battles just aren't worth having.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by Creditshampoo »

I have random.days off every week and have been given Tuesday this week so they're saying I won't get paid for the bank holiday / day in lu is this correct??
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by South_London_Postie »

Creditshampoo wrote:I have random.days off every week and have been given Tuesday this week so they're saying I won't get paid for the bank holiday / day in lu is this correct??
Tuesday was bank holiday. So you are owed either 1 days overtime or another day off this week. Read the link provided above for a break down of the policy.

Best to speak to your dom tomorrow or you may well find your day off next week is Monday!.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by bustedflush »

Creditshampoo wrote:I have random.days off every week and have been given Tuesday this week so they're saying I won't get paid for the bank holiday / day in lu is this correct??
Total BS - you should get a day in lieu or a day's pay, your choice. This often happens, DIM deliberately 'fix' the rota so those not on the Wally Week who have single days get shafted for the DIMs convenience so he has more bodies in the DO. :evil/mad
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by Jpro747 »

Makes you wonder how many posties are unaware that you should be paid OT or day in lieu and aren't getting either due to managers lying to try n save a bit on their budgets. :thumbdown
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by woopesh »

I never knew this. Thanks a lot folks.
paulpp
Posts: 9
Joined: 14 Jun 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by paulpp »

Hi

I'm on a part time five day week 25 hour contract so does it work the same.....this week my rest day was down for the bank holiday Tuesday assuming I will be paid for 25 hours?
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by bustedflush »

paulpp wrote:Hi

I'm on a part time five day week 25 hour contract so does it work the same.....this week my rest day was down for the bank holiday Tuesday assuming I will be paid for 25 hours?
Your wage should be the same as usual and you will be given the choice (or should be!) of getting 5hrs extra pay or lieu day. I personally would take the 5 hours extra pay in your case as being PT and likely newish to the business you'll find booking that extra day holiday will suddenly become a huge inconvenience to the DIM unless it just so happens to round up any holiday days you have left this year to 5 or one solid week.......
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by wannabeek »

I'd not recommend asking for a lieu day. They are often difficult in my experience about giving any day that would actually be of any use to you. Take the money, is the best option in my opinion.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Rest day bank holiday

Post by WOBBLY »

Defo fobbing you off. Ask for the pay again and if he refuses stick a grievance in, he'll soon change his mind :wink: