ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Late special

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mb1
Posts: 27
Joined: 10 Feb 2016, 17:34
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by mb1 »

Hi, I was on a HCT round today and forgot to deliver a special on time. I knew it would be tight to get to the place by 1pm so I put it in a different part of the trolley with the thought of cutting across the road out of sequance to deliver it but forgot it until i got back. I saw the phg and used a van to deliver it 11mins late. The coustomer was totally fine with it but what will happen when my manager gets to hear of it?
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Late special

Post by GT85 »

As long as it's your 1st offence you should get away with just a slap on the wrist. Go and see your manager tomorrow and explain what happened rather than wait for them to come chasing you and you should be ok.
We're all here because we're not all there
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Late special

Post by nickbsmooth »

No big deal,it's ridiculous they way they bleet on about specials.
Half the time there not even specials ie foreign.
I've failed maybe 4 in 8years no ones died no ones complained.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by fishtank »

Given the general unreliability of the current PDS system I doubt it will even be noticed.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
venom
Posts: 201
Joined: 03 Nov 2009, 17:25
Gender: Male
Location: leaving in half a walk and working to time

Late special

Post by venom »

Next time just use an epod card and say your pda wouldn't let you log in a write 12.55 where the time goes after they have signed for it
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by wannabeek »

I wouldn't falsify the time on an epod card.

What if the recipient complains? You are in the poop.

They may say they won't, but what about when they talk about it to their friend who points out that they can get a full refund of the delivery cost because it was late? You are in the poop.

Just fess up and the worst that can happen is a slap on the wrist (unless you do it over and over again, obviously). Try to hide it and you could get in the poop. Don't do that.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by rubberbond »

Just think,when we still had bikes,how much more flexible they were, than these stupid trolley things,then you could break off,deliver your special to time and continue on your merry way,now you have no hope. Short term thinking again.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by Chewster »

I've missed LOADS of specials on my old HCT round. Cutting off just isn't an option a lot of the time, cutting off often means you're prioritising one special just to be late for another, or you'll be late back and get moaned at anyway. At first I did always say I wouldn't make it but nobody cared. Never actually been moaned at for a late special before. A couple of weeks ago I didn't do a special until after 4pm because I somehow managed to leave it on my desk in the morning...nobody has ever mentioned it to me though, also begs the question as to why nobody was checking all the desks as I believe they're supposed to?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by yellowbelly »

Last year just before Xmas was put on a HCT walk on a village round I'd never done before. Lads in the office said I'd make it
to said addresses before 1pm but didn't (by about 10 mins to one and 20 to the next). Nothing was said.

Another large UK special was put under my frame, didn't have the silver special label on it, just plain white printed,
nobody said there's a special, didn't notice the different label till I got to the address at 4.30pm!!
Customer was out anyway but nothing was said by managers as to why it didn't get scanned till 4.30pm.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by bustedflush »

I did it once with 2 separate ones when I started - a day had gone tits-up and I received 10 minutes coaching from the DIM, even through the customers were fine. I was advised the sender could claim a refund and it costs RM money blah, blah. Never happened again for me. Wannabeek is right DO NOT try and BS the system, just be honest and hold hands up. Very few senders could be bothered to claim even if they are aware it was slightly late. A quick word, a small bollocking, the worst I'd say is a bit of coaching.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by wannabeek »

I don't have any inside info but I suspect that a late special only gets compensation from RM if the recipient complains - that's unlikely if they receive it during that day I imagine. They probably have no idea that they could even get a refund.

There's presumably a bigger compensation if the item goes missing. So as long as the item turns up and gets where it's supposed to on that day then the managers can probably quite easily sweep any late scans under the carpet.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by bustedflush »

wannabeek wrote:I don't have any inside info but I suspect that a late special only gets compensation from RM if the recipient complains - that's unlikely if they receive it during that day I imagine. They probably have no idea that they could even get a refund.

There's presumably a bigger compensation if the item goes missing. So as long as the item turns up and gets where it's supposed to on that day then the managers can probably quite easily sweep any late scans under the carpet.
Apparently the sender has to complain as they made the transaction, RM's contract is with them. The only time a recipient becomes involved is if they point out the item never arrived, or it arrived late and "I paid the sender to use SD for a pre 13;00 delivery etc." Then the sender (say an eBayer) will chuck the recipient a few quid postage refund and then claim from RM. The sender has the receipt and number so only they can initiate a claim.

There is a manager's dodge somewhere as I remember doing a Doctor's Surgery once, arrived at about 8 minutes to 1 and the sods had shut for lunch early! I rang DIM in a panic and he said don't worry I can sort it...I dunno what he did but we took it back at 14:00 when we finished and delivered it. No comebacks. Maybe he entered 'no access' manually or some sort of temporary safety issue which trumps everything.
mb1
Posts: 27
Joined: 10 Feb 2016, 17:34
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by mb1 »

Went straight in and reported it to my DOM this morning and he said thanks for telling him and that it would save him hunting round to find out what happened and said this one should not be a problem. Told him I would be on my toes with them in future, 5 mins later he brought out load of biscuits and we all had a feast so could have been a good day to report it..... Happy christmas to you all.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by Mobey »

That's generous (biscuits)
Darwinsdad
Posts: 78
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
Gender: Male

Late special

Post by Darwinsdad »

Your DOM was in?? Did they not know it was a Saturday?