ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hmmmmm

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Hmmmmm

Post by scoobydo79 »

A posty today was telling Me He delivered a packet to a woman and the woman told Him the sender had told Her to enter damaged on His PDA.Item sent as recorded by all accounts and cost about a fiver :hmmmm .Posty refused to let Her as clearly not damaged.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Hmmmmm

Post by Jpro747 »

He should have clicked Not Delivered - Refused on the PDA. As far as I know there is no 'Damaged' option.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Hmmmmm

Post by Postie45 »

if the recipient signs for the item does that mean it cant be claimed as damaged ?
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Hmmmmm

Post by wannabeek »

No. I used to deal with this in days pre-RM when I was once an eBay trader. Signing for the item does not mean that it is in good condition, just that you have received it. Any damage (or missing elements) can be dealt with after the item is received, opened and inspected. The postie is long gone by then.

I once refused to stand and wait while a fella opened a special and counted the banknotes inside. I just said that it made no difference to any claim whether I was standing there or not.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Hmmmmm

Post by crazyshrew »

Postie45 wrote:if the recipient signs for the item does that mean it cant be claimed as damaged ?
Not necessarily, the contents could be destroyed with no visible sign on the packaging.
I once had some glass coffee mugs to deliver that when subjected to just enough force you could hear were clearly in more pieces than they should be but the box was in perfect condition. I could have easily just had the recipient sign and hand it over carefully before doing a runner; but did explain, demonstrate, and allow her the opportunity to refuse, which she did
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Hmmmmm

Post by datasaint »

This is some sort of folk-lore from the early days of internet shopping whereby if you couldn't inspect goods at the door you sign damaged to cover yourself in the event of an issue.
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Hmmmmm

Post by telithowitis »

I think they should write "not inspected" rather than damaged, that would cover them no problem.
wookie
Posts: 319
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

Hmmmmm

Post by wookie »

Refused on the pda. Then he is in the clear.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Hmmmmm

Post by scoobydo79 »

norm wrote:This is some sort of folk-lore from the early days of internet shopping whereby if you couldn't inspect goods at the door you sign damaged to cover yourself in the event of an issue.
Ahh Yes Norm. This is a possibility. :Applause . We were trying to figure it out . It looked like the sender was going to claim rather than the recipient though.Odly enough the woman was going to do what the sender told Her but the posty was having none of it.!!!I think the posty is going to report it to a DOM. There is some thing fishy going on here though.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Hmmmmm

Post by Chewster »

I'd be having none of it either, 9 times out of 10 it's the sender's fault for inadequate packaging. I once delivered bottles of whisky that had just been wrapped in bubble wrap and a plastic bag...needless to say they were actually bags of whisky with complimentary glass shards by the time they got to my DO.