ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Management home visits
-
Ihatework
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 22:51
- Gender: Female
Management home visits
Hello,
I was in hospital last week, discharged on Saturday with a sick note for two weeks. Yesterday the manager telephoned about my welfare and mentioned someone would be around to visit later this week. I would just like to know what happens if I am not in when they arrive? I have an invalid parent who needs help occasionally so cannot guarantee I will be in constantly. Do they have to arrive within my duty times (I finish about two thirty) or can they turn up when they feel like it?
I was in hospital last week, discharged on Saturday with a sick note for two weeks. Yesterday the manager telephoned about my welfare and mentioned someone would be around to visit later this week. I would just like to know what happens if I am not in when they arrive? I have an invalid parent who needs help occasionally so cannot guarantee I will be in constantly. Do they have to arrive within my duty times (I finish about two thirty) or can they turn up when they feel like it?
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Management home visits
They have no business coming to your house at all.
All you are required to do is maintain a reasonable level of agreed contact, i.e phone call one a week or so. (As you're signed off for two I would say checking in over the phone half way through and then 2/3 days before your due back in would be perfectly reasonable)
If they do show up out of the blue and you're not there, then there really isn't anything they can do.
A huge number of things can mean one is too sick to work for a while but only a few would leave someone completely housebound. There's still life to get on with - Doc/Dentist appointments, collecting a prescription from the pharmacy, food shop, school run, or even just getting a bit of fresh air and getting out to prevent cabin fever.
Odds are no one will bother turning up on your doorstep but if they want to they should at least try to arrange a mutually convenient time (which you don't have to agree to because they have no business coming to your house!!)
If giving a blanket "no" to a face to face is more hassle than it's worth, you could compromise and have a meeting at the office, but you are under absolutely no obligation to have any sort of face to face meeting or such a relatively short absence
All you are required to do is maintain a reasonable level of agreed contact, i.e phone call one a week or so. (As you're signed off for two I would say checking in over the phone half way through and then 2/3 days before your due back in would be perfectly reasonable)
If they do show up out of the blue and you're not there, then there really isn't anything they can do.
A huge number of things can mean one is too sick to work for a while but only a few would leave someone completely housebound. There's still life to get on with - Doc/Dentist appointments, collecting a prescription from the pharmacy, food shop, school run, or even just getting a bit of fresh air and getting out to prevent cabin fever.
Odds are no one will bother turning up on your doorstep but if they want to they should at least try to arrange a mutually convenient time (which you don't have to agree to because they have no business coming to your house!!)
If giving a blanket "no" to a face to face is more hassle than it's worth, you could compromise and have a meeting at the office, but you are under absolutely no obligation to have any sort of face to face meeting or such a relatively short absence
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Management home visits
Buy a dog, a big one..
Home visit my arse, who does he think he is Dr Kildare? Get in touch with your rep and your branch. What are these managers on?
Home visit my arse, who does he think he is Dr Kildare? Get in touch with your rep and your branch. What are these managers on?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Nigel1505
- Posts: 409
- Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
- Gender: Male
Management home visits
The only people who are allowed to cross your threshold in law are those in possession of a warrant issued by a court of law or the fire brigade who believe there may be a fire. Gas, Electricity people can but only when they have a warrant. Royal mail managers are about one from bottom on the list of entrants, just above the cat from just up the road, who happens to know the code for the cat flap. 
-
Ihatework
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 22:51
- Gender: Female
Management home visits
Ok thanks for all your help. I think I'm just going to disconnect the buzzer (I'm in a third floor flat) and turn the phone off.

-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Management home visits
Third floor flat! well then, they'll never bother. Climbing all those stairs will be too close to real work for their liking!Ihatework wrote:Ok thanks for all your help. I think I'm just going to disconnect the buzzer (I'm in a third floor flat) and turn the phone off.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Management home visits
Or following knee surgery someone who lives alone could be recovering at parents house? There are various reasons for someone who is not fit for work to not be at home, e.g gp appointment / pick up prescription etc
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Management home visits
A lot of these threads are cropping up. Seems that managers are actually trained to bully and harrass? Can anyone confirm?
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Management home visits
You should have reminded this manager when he called that the new attendance procedure was introduced to stop these mangers making home visits uninvited and within this procedure there is a ruling for maintaining contact when absent that is by mutual agreement and he is in fact breaching this agreement. I suggest you return this call and advise this manager that you are considering taking a civil action against him personally under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 which was originally introduced for jury tampering and stalkers but this now has a bearing in the workplace and Employment Law.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Management home visits
That ,as well as all branches of medicine and surgery,as they instantly know you are not genuinely ill,without seeing you.Jpro747 wrote:A lot of these threads are cropping up. Seems that managers are actually trained to bully and harrass? Can anyone confirm?
By the way, Ihatework, sorry to be the bearer of bad news when you're down,but no car for you my friend. Or the rest of us probably,come to think of it. It's been donated to the CFO,who is leaving,as a present from all of us.
Last edited by rubberbond on 20 Dec 2016, 18:31, edited 2 times in total.
-
Stunl3y
- Posts: 73
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 11:57
- Gender: Male
Management home visits
A guy went down with Chicken Pox at our office 2 days ago , the first thing we heard from our DOM was "well as soon as they start scabbing he will be able to come back" , seems like lino's are now experts in the medical field
BTW anyone coming to my home would be greeted with a clear off or I will be issuing a harassment complaint
BTW anyone coming to my home would be greeted with a clear off or I will be issuing a harassment complaint
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Management home visits
I would open the door and hand them their level two grievance to save myself the time when I return to work.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Management home visits
This is happening to me too. I went off last Wednesday, text manager and another work colleague at 4am (didn't ring in case they were still in bed) both acknowledged my messages within a couple of hours so were received. At around 12pm the same day manager just turns up unannounced out of the blue, sees I'm ill so believes me and off he goes. Today still feeling poorly so sees the GP and gets a sick note and signed off until next Wednesday. Rings my manager to explain the situation and that a sick note will be handed in tomorrow only to be told I have to go into the main office, which is 15 miles away from where I live, to have a face to face meeting. Now why on earth do they want a face to face meeting when he saw how ill I was last week, hears how ill I was on the phone today when I spoke to him and the fact I have a sick note from a doctor who has decided I'm too ill to go into work? I explained I'm not well enough to drive all that way for a meeting so suggested he come to my house for this face to face meeting. It just seems like a waste of his time and I really don't know what's going to be said that hasn't been said already that I'm ill and I won't be back until next Wednesday. Will they be ringing up your GP next? 
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Management home visits
Yes they will be knackered!!!!crazyshrew wrote:Third floor flat! well then, they'll never bother. Climbing all those stairs will be too close to real work for their liking!Ihatework wrote:Ok thanks for all your help. I think I'm just going to disconnect the buzzer (I'm in a third floor flat) and turn the phone off.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Management home visits
What happens if the managers go sick do they they get the same appalling treatment? I very much doubt it!!!!Barbel wrote:This is happening to me too. I went off last Wednesday, text manager and another work colleague at 4am (didn't ring in case they were still in bed) both acknowledged my messages within a couple of hours so were received. At around 12pm the same day manager just turns up unannounced out of the blue, sees I'm ill so believes me and off he goes. Today still feeling poorly so sees the GP and gets a sick note and signed off until next Wednesday. Rings my manager to explain the situation and that a sick note will be handed in tomorrow only to be told I have to go into the main office, which is 15 miles away from where I live, to have a face to face meeting. Now why on earth do they want a face to face meeting when he saw how ill I was last week, hears how ill I was on the phone today when I spoke to him and the fact I have a sick note from a doctor who has decided I'm too ill to go into work? I explained I'm not well enough to drive all that way for a meeting so suggested he come to my house for this face to face meeting. It just seems like a waste of his time and I really don't know what's going to be said that hasn't been said already that I'm ill and I won't be back until next Wednesday. Will they be ringing up your GP next?