Hi I just want some advice. I am on a twenty hour contract, but have been working 6 days a week on a wallington since I started. I would just like to know what pay I will be entitled to over the Christmas period? Will I be paid for bank holidays etc? As my contract is for Wednesday to Saturday.
I was also off last week due to illness so only worked one day. I had twenty pounds sick pay, and no pay for the day I worked. Is this right?
thanks
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
xmas pay
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
xmas pay
notgoodanymore wrote:Hi I just want some advice. I am on a twenty hour contract, but have been working 6 days a week on a wallington since I started. I would just like to know what pay I will be entitled to over the Christmas period? Will I be paid for bank holidays etc? As my contract is for Wednesday to Saturday.
I was also off last week due to illness so only worked one day. I had twenty pounds sick pay, and no pay for the day I worked. Is this right?
thanks
No, you should get paid for the day you worked and SSP for the rest.
You do get Bank Hols on a pro-rata basis. You get the company leave 25 days plus 8 Bank Hols 33 days in total but pro-rata as I said, therefore you'd end up with 4/6 of that as the Wally Week is based on 6 days, i.e. you would get the full 33 if on a 6-day contract which is all 8 BHs plus 4 weeks' leave with an odd day over. There is laws on Bank Hols for people who don't usually work Mondays when most fall, one of the others on here may know more.
I would guess in your case 4/6 of 33 is 22 so you should get basically 5 weeks paid holiday plus 2 left over as you work a 4-day week, therefore compensating you for missed BHs but don't quote me on that. Take a day from that total if a BH falls on a day you do work like Good Friday or at Christmas. So in your case now 21 where it should stay as this year Xmas is Mon/Tue BHs. In a roundabout way I am saying you should end up with exactly the same holiday as someone who had your contract but worked say Mon-Thu.
As for your working 6 days and stupid hours you get absolutely b*gger-all extra. This is the old RM scam to save money, shortest contracts possible in hours and made up in OT. This should really only persist for 3-6 months but they will roger you like it indefinitely, all the while your BHs and leave being paid at your 20-hrs rate while working FT effectively. A great money-saver for RM that even on my 30hrs. 6-day contract when I worked 32.5 with 2.5 at OT I worked out saved RM (but cost me!) 2.5 x 13 (leave and rota weeks per year) = 33.5 hrs. approx. 1 weeks' pay therefore saving RM about 2% on my annual wages had I had the 32.5 contract I actually worked - and I was lucky! People often have 20-hours for 6 days Wally Week so if they work FT effectively that saves RM 13 x 19 hours per year, a colossal 6.2 weeks' wages a year about 2.1k off of the OPG's top end and thus saving RM about 11.5-12% on the full-time money they would pay you if you had the 39 FT contract you were working. It's a joke! Sorry for the rant but you need to understand this con that was supposed to be curtailed in the Way Forward Agreement ha ha