ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA's

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
driver906
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Mar 2011, 16:53
Gender: Male

PDA's

Post by driver906 »

Im am fed up with these new PDA's, continuously logging me off during the day. Whoever designed them gave no thought to how big most humans hands are, when carrying a bundle of letters and packages, the natural position of holding the PDA's means you can't press the yellow zap button, the black one below would just about work, so well "front line tested", "not".
On zapping, the 2D new codes only work part of the time so any data collection becomes worthless. When these new PDA's were first mentioned they were described as being like smart phones, good job they don't have to sell them to the general public royal mail would go bust, the PDA's remind me of my old brick phones and the servers are of the same age.
On the subject of 2D codes, what are they for? If its to show where things have been lost its pointless, because if its lost, its lost, knowing its lost in a distribution centre in birmingham or glasgow makes no difference. how many times have we lost stuff at home, i know its lost there but I still can't find it!
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

PDA's

Post by BeamishStout »

You have to position your hand like an arched claw so as no to bring up the volume control or the other functions when you hit the scan button. Why the testing process did not bring up what is a big design flaw speaks volumes for the trial process and feedback. Bottom left and right would be way easier than top left and right. :neutral:
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

PDA's

Post by postiewhite »

Most of the time I dont have an issue with them however I have started to find that scanning multiple items ( for example you have 2 tracked items) then if you scan them quickly they will beep as normal but the second one wont be recognised on the screen, this has only started doing this.
The other issue is the poor servers, sometimes we cant log on and can spend ten minutes of your morning trying to do so before you go out. I also think they are slowing down as well, they dont feel as responsive as they did when they were new. They are an improvement over the other pda's but they are not as good as I thought they might be.
mjt120
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
Gender: Male

PDA's

Post by mjt120 »

postiewhite wrote:Most of the time I dont have an issue with them however I have started to find that scanning multiple items ( for example you have 2 tracked items) then if you scan them quickly they will beep as normal but the second one wont be recognised on the screen, this has only started doing this.
The other issue is the poor servers, sometimes we cant log on and can spend ten minutes of your morning trying to do so before you go out. I also think they are slowing down as well, they dont feel as responsive as they did when they were new. They are an improvement over the other pda's but they are not as good as I thought they might be.
Totally agree they are an improvement but I was one of the first to use them and they were great at first very quick, but they are getting less reliable, much slower and I now have to do a shut down on mine every morning or I Carnt get it to log on, I also see the battery are holding less charge as well with no way of now charging in the van, I do think in another year we will be having major issues with them.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

PDA's

Post by wacko74 »

Yes they are so slow and dimwitted... every action you try to carry out on them takes a couple of seconds for the pda to respond.

I've also noticed the batteries are already lasting less than they did when we first got them, I've had 2 batteries die on me mid-delivery in the last fortnight.

And don't even get me started on the ''report incident'' screen which pops up constantly... the ironic thing is I don't even know how to make it appear if I did ever need to actually ''report an incident''!
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

PDA's

Post by Pathfinder »

wacko74 wrote:
And don't even get me started on the ''report incident'' screen which pops up constantly... the ironic thing is I don't even know how to make it appear if I did ever need to actually ''report an incident''!
Bloody hell this fills me with rage hah! It's so annoying, I spend most of the day mumbling away to myself about my crap pda I must look like a right loon :arrrghhh :left: :evil/mad
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

PDA's

Post by rubberbond »

wacko74 wrote:Yes they are so slow and dimwitted... every action you try to carry out on them takes a couple of seconds for the pda to respond.

I've also noticed the batteries are already lasting less than they did when we first got them, I've had 2 batteries die on me mid-delivery in the last fortnight.

And don't even get me started on the ''report incident'' screen which pops up constantly... the ironic thing is I don't even know how to make it appear if I did ever need to actually ''report an incident''!
And don't forget the random sat nav instructions that appears from nowhere and scares the seven bells out of me,as I think I'm being followed.
Zicomurphy
Posts: 578
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

PDA's

Post by Zicomurphy »

mjt120 wrote:
postiewhite wrote:Most of the time I dont have an issue with them however I have started to find that scanning multiple items ( for example you have 2 tracked items) then if you scan them quickly they will beep as normal but the second one wont be recognised on the screen, this has only started doing this.
The other issue is the poor servers, sometimes we cant log on and can spend ten minutes of your morning trying to do so before you go out. I also think they are slowing down as well, they dont feel as responsive as they did when they were new. They are an improvement over the other pda's but they are not as good as I thought they might be.
Totally agree they are an improvement but I was one of the first to use them and they were great at first very quick, but they are getting less reliable, much slower and I now have to do a shut down on mine every morning or I Carnt get it to log on, I also see the battery are holding less charge as well with no way of now charging in the van, I do think in another year we will be having major issues with them.
I also now can't log on in the mornings unless I turn it off and on again. Only takes a couple of minutes but it's a pain.
EdRush
Posts: 123
Joined: 19 Oct 2016, 20:18
Gender: Male

PDA's

Post by EdRush »

Makes me chuckle when I scan a packet, then after faffing for a while forcing the f'in flimsy plastic packet through the bl**dy akward draught proof letterbox, only to find that ive been logged out so can't submit as delivered!

I chuckle.. until I get bollocked for 'open clock'

So I scan and submit as delivered for every packet now, and if I cant deliver- I rescan.

Twice as much faff!
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

PDA's

Post by robbertwhitton »

Well in the words of wolice from wolice and grommet re the scanners"well that went as well as could be expected?!!!!