ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

20 hour contract,bank holidays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

20 hour contract,bank holidays

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Zarkandar wrote:Does anyone know how many we will be owed n if we can be paid for them??

Not sure I understand the question, but basically you are owed any that fall on your day of.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1374
Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
Gender: Male

20 hour contract,bank holidays

Post by rogersh »

Zarkandar wrote:Does anyone know how many we will be owed n if we can be paid for them??
I work a 20 hour week, Tuesday to Saturday. I am entitled to 8 Bank holiday days each year as part of the 28 statutory days everyone is entitled to.

If a Bank holiday falls on a Monday I am given the following day instead.

Note that if you work less than 5 days that make up your 20 hours the amount of b/h days will be calculated pro-rata. (e.g 2 days = 2/5ths 8 = 3.2 which I believe is rounded UP to 4 days). Hope this info is of some help.
jetblack
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
Gender: Male

20 hour contract,bank holidays

Post by jetblack »

rogersh wrote:
Zarkandar wrote:Does anyone know how many we will be owed n if we can be paid for them??
I work a 20 hour week, Tuesday to Saturday. I am entitled to 8 Bank holiday days each year as part of the 28 statutory days everyone is entitled to.

If a Bank holiday falls on a Monday I am given the following day instead.

Note that if you work less than 5 days that make up your 20 hours the amount of b/h days will be calculated pro-rata. (e.g 2 days = 2/5ths 8 = 3.2 which I believe is rounded UP to 4 days). Hope this info is of some help.
I'm a bit confused by this. Is what you are saying that you get (roughly) 5.6 weeks holiday a year but (roughly) 1.6 weeks of that are classed as bank holidays in leiu ?
Whereas the guy on Monday to Friday gets the same amount of annual leave (5.6 weeks) - but also gets Bank Holiday Mondays on top of this.

Is this what you mean ?

Or is the latter posties annual leave entitlement reduced to take account of the Monday Bank Holidays (5.6 weeks isn't standard after all) ?
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

20 hour contract,bank holidays

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

The confusing part is the way the government word it. 5.6 weeks is based on 5 days weeks so someone working 5 days gets 28 days statutory leave a year minimum. This CAN include bank holidays. Everyone at Royal Mail gets a little more as the basic entitlement on joining is 4.5 weeks (22.5) days plus the 8 days PH makes 30.5 days.

Now in Royal Mail if you working week is less than 5 days then your leave entitlement drops

5 day week = RM 22.5 days - Statutory entitlement 28 days - Public Holiday entitlement = 8 Days
4 day week = RM 18 days - Statutory entitlement 22.4 days - Public Holiday entitlement = 8 Days
3 day week = RM 13.5 days - Statutory entitlement 16.8 days - Public Holiday entitlement = 4.8 Days
2 day week = RM 9 days - Statutory entitlement 11.2 days - Public Holiday entitlement = 3.2 Days
1 day week = RM 4.5 days - Statutory entitlement 5.6 days - Public Holiday entitlement = 1.6 Days




http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... monisation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1374
Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
Gender: Male

20 hour contract,bank holidays

Post by rogersh »

I was going to edit my post to say 28 days "minimum" . I get 30.5 days p.a. as TBT has explained. I believe only a minority of employers give the minimum entitlement plus Bank holiday. Royal mail employees increase extra leave with service & there is the option to purchase annual leave.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

20 hour contract,bank holidays

Post by Creditshampoo »

Always book the bank holiday as overtime never trust them to owe you a day back