ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

When you're off sick

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

When you're off sick

Post by Barbel »

When you ring in ill does your manager just turn up at your house? I've got a flu type virus and no way could I drag myself in. I text my manager at 4am on the Wednesday morning and by midday that day he was knocking on my door. Is this the norm now?
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

When you're off sick

Post by rehabron »

Barbel wrote:When you ring in ill does your manager just turn up at your house? I've got a flu type virus and no way could I drag myself in. I text my manager at 4am on the Wednesday morning and by midday that day he was knocking on my door. Is this the norm now?
NO this type of pressurising by management to employees who have reported in sick was the reason that the new attendance procedure came in to force. Your obligation is to maintain contact during your absence in order that management can check on your progress but this does not allow them to be at your doorstep without mutual agreement. Management have at their discretion that at sometime within a 28 day absence request that you attend for a face to face interview if your medical condition allows. First 7 days of absence to be self certificated and further days to be with a GP " fit note". You may consider by your manager taking this action in your case consider a grievance or a B&H but would inform your union rep of this type of pressurising that you have been subjected to.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

When you're off sick

Post by WOBBLY »

A bit of advice, don't text you're not going into work. ALWAYS pick up the phone and speak to them - if you can't get someone to do it for you.
Destiny
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
Gender: Male
Location: North

When you're off sick

Post by Destiny »

Can you prove they received/read it? If that's the case then the contact strategy may have been broken.

If they didn't read it or where unable to discuss the absence, duration or maintain contact can they not attend the property anytime that day? I.e. As above or later proven "late" by way of cold calling?
Had similar issue so would appreciate clarity on that if anyone can.
jetblack
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
Gender: Male

When you're off sick

Post by jetblack »

rehabron wrote: NO this type of pressurising by management to employees who have reported in sick was the reason that the new attendance procedure came in to force.
I'm glad to hear this - I've never been affected but I think this sort of thing is appalling behaviour by managers. What is the new attendance procedure, in relation to this particular problem ? Is them banging on your door when your ill no longer an acceptable course of action ?
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

When you're off sick

Post by Barbel »

Destiny wrote:Can you prove they received/read it? If that's the case then the contact strategy may have been broken.

If they didn't read it or where unable to discuss the absence, duration or maintain contact can they not attend the property anytime that day? I.e. As above or later proven "late" by way of cold calling?
Had similar issue so would appreciate clarity on that if anyone can.
I sent 2 texts to 2 separate people and they both replied within a an hour. I didn't want to ring at 4am in case they were still in bed.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

When you're off sick

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

No manager should urn up at your house without your prior knowledge and permission.

It's B&H, clear and simple.

Though, you should always speak to someone, not text.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

When you're off sick

Post by Postie45 »

i imagine the manager is going to claim that he didnt get the message and he checked on your house for your welfare.