ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Xmas Bonus

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jordanpark92
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Feb 2014, 18:36
Gender: Male

Xmas Bonus

Post by Jordanpark92 »

I've been working for royal mail for 3 years, always been on a 25 hour contract .. Last year I got put up to full time hours over christmas so i would be eligible to receive a full time christmas bonus as I had worked full time for the full year. This time I've worked nearly 60 hours each week .. But I've been told I will be only having a part time christmas bonus? apparently only 7 part time staff are getting the full time christmas bonus because it goes in seniority. surely this is discrimination .. either everybody should get it .. or nobody!
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Xmas Bonus

Post by datasaint »

The manager will probably tell you the office doesn't have the resources to make everybody up fulltime for xmas, but, if you've been working FT over the 4 weeks of xmas that's obviously not the case so you would have an argument at getting the full bonus.

In reality if you'd stuck together as an office and said we all want making up FT or we won't do the OT, they would have backed down.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Xmas Bonus

Post by postslippete »

When I was part-time many years ago and I worked overtime I only got the pro-rota Xmas bonus. So if you can prove the fact that only half a dozen part timers are getting a full time Xmas bonus purely based on seniority then you might have good grounds for a grievance. What does the unit rep think?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Jordanpark92
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Feb 2014, 18:36
Gender: Male

Xmas Bonus

Post by Jordanpark92 »

We did say that if we wasent going to get the full time christmas bonus then we would stick to our contract hours .. they replied by saying that if we were going to be doing that then we would get moved back into our main office as we work at a small office and that we was threatening them.
Jordanpark92
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Feb 2014, 18:36
Gender: Male

Xmas Bonus

Post by Jordanpark92 »

Spoke to the union, absolutely waste of time .. all Part timers names was supposed to be put forward of who needed to be put up to full time to receive the christmas bonus .. but because we work at a small office, our names didn't even get put forward so it didn't make the deadline. not that we would of received it anyway.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Xmas Bonus

Post by Creditshampoo »

Should have stuck together and refused to work more than contract
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Xmas Bonus

Post by rehabron »

Jordanpark92 wrote:I've been working for royal mail for 3 years, always been on a 25 hour contract .. Last year I got put up to full time hours over christmas so i would be eligible to receive a full time christmas bonus as I had worked full time for the full year. This time I've worked nearly 60 hours each week .. But I've been told I will be only having a part time christmas bonus? apparently only 7 part time staff are getting the full time christmas bonus because it goes in seniority. surely this is discrimination .. either everybody should get it .. or nobody!
The Christmas bonus does NOT go on seniority it is based on the 4 week qualifying period and contracted hours within that period. You need to get your union rep to lodge a disagreement on behalf of all staff who are being short changed over this period and clearly working hours well above the F/T limit. I realise that at this time of year peoples income is important for obvious reasons to try and give the best possible Christmas for families etc. but as stated in other posts you all need to stand together and make it known that if your Christmas bonus is to be paid on contracted hours then everyone of you effected will only work their contracted hours. This business runs on o/t at this time of year and withdrawing your o/t will severely effect the operation and a hurried call to HR to pay the full bonus may result.
abzo
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
Gender: Male

Xmas Bonus

Post by abzo »

Two weeks ago myself and most of the part timers in my office agreed to be made up to full time hours during the Christmas period. Our union rep also ensured that we were made up to full time hours from last week in order for us to qualify for the full time Christmas bonus. However on my payslip last week i was still on my part time hours and when i brought this to the attention of the DOM he mentioned how the pay works like Overtime where you get paid a week later etc. So i believed him and thought that on this weeks payslip i will see the full time hours on my payslip. but yet again im still on my part time hours and i have been working flat out thinking im on full time hours. Now I keep a record of everything i have worked every week so from last week im owed a fair amount of hours and i am guessing this week will be the same as there are a few days when i started at 6am and didn't go home till 6pm in the evening. From tomorrow i shall see my union rep about this along with the DOM as its quite ridiculous how the DOM didn't put me up to full time hours yet everyday he expects me to take out parcels in the afternoon :evil/mad. Seems like i won't be getting the full Christmas bonus or the full time hours, I'll just have to claim everything that i didn't get paid for as overtime :sad: :mad