ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by Barbel »

To those of you who do trolley rounds do you always take Specials and if so when you know you won't get to an address by 1pm do you give it to a driver? Today I had 3 specials I knew I wouldn't get to because it's so busy but the van driver refused to take them so they failed. When I worked in a different office trolley rounds didn't take any Specials or tracked items. Just wondering what you do in your office regarding Specials and HCT rounds.
frank doyle
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Dec 2008, 20:51
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by frank doyle »

Inform the manager ASAP that you will fail so many items of Special Delivery items . And it is up to them to redistribute your specials so they meet Q of S standard . That's what happens in our office , and not just at Christmas .
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by Mobey »

I've been told when I get them from the locker if I can't do it in the time, to say so and that's not an issue. Make sure you tell the manager though.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by postslippete »

In our office, if you do a HCT round and you knew that you couldn't get there for 1pm then obviously a driver has to deliver them.

If the driver refused then your first port of call should obviously be to notify your line manager that you will struggle to deliver them for 1pm on the day. And let the manager make the decision on what you can and can't manage.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by Barbel »

Thanks for your replies. We don't have a manager in our office as we're a little rural office and we don't even sign for our Specials. When I asked the chap to take them he suggested I did the round back to front which wouldn't have made a difference because then other Specials at the beginning of the round would have failed also. In the end I just didn't scan any of them because I knew I wouldn't get there in and got the customer to sign a P379 instead.
A2B
Posts: 2029
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by A2B »

Do you carry your Special Delivery items with you at all times? I don't think you are allowed to leave them in the HCT ?
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by 97gaz »

Y
Last edited by 97gaz on 15 Dec 2019, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
wookie
Posts: 319
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by wookie »

This time of year you really should have relief drivers in place so they can do extra packets/Tracked & SPECIALS so they do not fail. If you have informed the line manager or if you can accomadate them and book excess then there shouldn't be a problem.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by enskied »

I have been in this position, but on a city delivery. Aargued my case at the cage.

If I was in your position I think I would just not sign for them in the first place. But that is easier said than done.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by yellowbelly »

A2B wrote:Do you carry your Special Delivery items with you at all times? I don't think you are allowed to leave them in the HCT ?
According to RM Delivery Equipment Security Procedure (it's in the downloads board), even in low risk area where you can leave HCT unattended for max 10 mins, SD items
should be removed but not sure whether this is just for the old style canvas sided HCT's or applies to the newer plastic sided ones as the document is dated 2010.
A2B
Posts: 2029
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by A2B »

enskied wrote:I have been in this position, but on a city delivery. Aargued my case at the cage.

If I was in your position I think I would just not sign for them in the first place. But that is easier said than done.
Says in his post that they don't sign the Specials out :thumbdown
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by yellowbelly »

Barbel wrote:Thanks for your replies. We don't have a manager in our office as we're a little rural office and we don't even sign for our Specials. When I asked the chap to take them he suggested I did the round back to front which wouldn't have made a difference because then other Specials at the beginning of the round would have failed also. In the end I just didn't scan any of them because I knew I wouldn't get there in and got the customer to sign a P379 instead.
Am confused - why are you getting them to sign a 739 and not a P4550 card/sheet?
A2B
Posts: 2029
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by A2B »

yellowbelly wrote:
A2B wrote:Do you carry your Special Delivery items with you at all times? I don't think you are allowed to leave them in the HCT ?
According to RM Delivery Equipment Security Procedure (it's in the downloads board), even in low risk area where you can leave HCT unattended for max 10 mins, SD items
should be removed but not sure whether this is just for the old style canvas sided HCT's or applies to the newer plastic sided ones as the document is dated 2010.
Our Specials were taken off the HTC duties and security was the reason given but i believe a few missing the 1pm deadline may also have played a part
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by Barbel »

wookie wrote:This time of year you really should have relief drivers in place so they can do extra packets/Tracked & SPECIALS so they do not fail. If you have informed the line manager or if you can accomadate them and book excess then there shouldn't be a problem.
Yes I know and we did last year, but because the managers let a colleague have 2 weeks annual leave during the pressure we're one person down so no one to take parcels or specials.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Taking Specials on a HCT round

Post by Barbel »

A2B wrote:Do you carry your Special Delivery items with you at all times? I don't think you are allowed to leave them in the HCT ?
Nope they're left in the trolley at all times.