ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
gerrys
Posts: 33
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 16:15
Gender: Male

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Post by gerrys »

got hell of shock today approached wet drive delivered mail turned around next thing I'm flat on my back looking up at the sky!....The drive was one of those concrete 'cobbled' type with the sprayed on sealant that makes it nice and shinny .Eight years doing the job& its the first time I have gone right over like that,didn't half knock the stuffing out of me;wont what it to have to anyone else so; too all of you be careful out there
Bernardson
Posts: 320
Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 23:22

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Post by Bernardson »

gerrys wrote:got hell of shock today approached wet drive delivered mail turned around next thing I'm flat on my back looking up at the sky!....The drive was one of those concrete 'cobbled' type with the sprayed on sealant that makes it nice and shinny .Eight years doing the job& its the first time I have gone right over like that,didn't half knock the stuffing out of me;wont what it to have to anyone else so; too all of you be careful out there

After a fall like that it can knock your confidence.
A few years ago a broke my wrist in wintery weather and now whenever such as the last couple of days it is icy I tend to scuff along trying not to slide!
I have worn spikies but these get quite uncomfortable after a couple of hours.
Management have forgone the severe weather policy :cuppa
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Post by WOBBLY »

I have a few patterned concrete drives. Some of them have a new waterproof coating on them that seems to give grip! Still careful as fudge on them though :chuckle
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Post by Darren Bent »

and it is alway hard to work in first hour in winter due to frost/icy pavement. It is even worse when you have to deal with non flat drives as slope make things difficult for grip.
gerrys
Posts: 33
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 16:15
Gender: Male

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Post by gerrys »

got to admit it has knocked by confidence for six, I was out for cold for a few seconds couple across road seen me & picked me up[Although they where generally concerned bloke reckons I would have got a 10 from the judges on 'Sticktley'.!]Going to make sure there is some record in Walk Log Book tomorrow.Once again please take care out there cheers
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Post by lightningpostman »

gerrys wrote:got hell of shock today approached wet drive delivered mail turned around next thing I'm flat on my back looking up at the sky!....The drive was one of those concrete 'cobbled' type with the sprayed on sealant that makes it nice and shinny .Eight years doing the job& its the first time I have gone right over like that,didn't half knock the stuffing out of me;wont what it to have to anyone else so; too all of you be careful out there
royal mail footwear?
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Post by apple »

have a few of these drives here, most are ok to be honest, but one! it looks like they have put too much of that clear top coat on it a bit of rain and it's lethal! as i found out, went down too, a few scuffs, told the walk holder said 'oh ye i went down on that, lethal"
when i got back i put it in the walk log, as the walk holder had never bothered FFS!
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Post by Spedley »

I did similar a few years ago on a terracotta tiled floor. The frost hadn't gone in the shade but was totally clear in the sun and I just caught it with my foot and slipped landing on my elbow. Not sure why I didn't damage it permanently, just luck I guess.
gerrys
Posts: 33
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 16:15
Gender: Male

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Post by gerrys »

Think you are right 'Apple' the shinny top coat type drives are the problem seen a few with a type of gritty finish.....they seem a lot better.Trying to recall the last really nasty snowy winter we all had out there think it was 2010 [mind our Scottish colleagues get battered every year] I was on a round in this little former coal mining village & took a short cut across some waste land ended up walking over a load of dumped wood interior doors hides under the snow how I managed to stay up I don't know but I did ! thank goodness no one saw me.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Watch Those Nasty Drives

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yorkshire stone can be very slippery when residents don't clean the surface at last once a year. Living in Yorkshire it can be a "problem" on delivery. Don't know if RM have a "clean your stones" letter but they should.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.