ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
osteoarthritis
-
holly123
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 12:45
- Gender: Male
osteoarthritis
wonder when this gets classed as a postman's occupational disease
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
osteoarthritis
Yep. I was IHR'd with it. Hardly any pain now. Excessive walking I believe is akin to repetitive strain injury, it's becoming apparent that since short and very early deliveries on bikes the park-and-loop is causing health issues and I cannot see anybody starting since the revision to P&L lasting 40-45 years in the job. RM won't admit it but musculoskeletal issues are ballooning and are the cause of most sicknesses.holly123 wrote:wonder when this gets classed as a postman's occupational disease
-
A2B
- Posts: 2028
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
osteoarthritis
The days of anyone starting and doing 45 years in this job finished a looooooooooooooong time ago 
-
holly123
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 12:45
- Gender: Male
osteoarthritis
Union must have a record of how many have finish with this type of issue, needs pushing to the Health And Safety Executive if they have.
-
max power
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 21:30
osteoarthritis
Union are really not that bothered i don't think
all management care about is profit
in my office the scales have been turned off so we can't weigh anything anymore
its all bollocks now
all management care about is profit
in my office the scales have been turned off so we can't weigh anything anymore
its all bollocks now
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
osteoarthritis
Our scales were put outside to rust about 3-4 years agomax power wrote:Union are really not that bothered i don't think
all management care about is profit
in my office the scales have been turned off so we can't weigh anything anymore
its all bollocks now
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
osteoarthritis
But then if RM did admit it, would they then put the blame on OPGs not using light weight trollies if suitable for their walk?bustedflush wrote:Yep. I was IHR'd with it. Hardly any pain now. Excessive walking I believe is akin to repetitive strain injury, it's becoming apparent that since short and very early deliveries on bikes the park-and-loop is causing health issues and I cannot see anybody starting since the revision to P&L lasting 40-45 years in the job. RM won't admit it but musculoskeletal issues are ballooning and are the cause of most sicknesses.holly123 wrote:wonder when this gets classed as a postman's occupational disease
-
holly123
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 12:45
- Gender: Male
osteoarthritis
never saw as many people suffer with this tho when we did the old two deliveries way,
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
osteoarthritis
Trollies have little meaning here - not the weight necessarily but the sheer amount of walking we do/did along with poor footwear it's a recipe for wearing knees and ankles out.greengiant wrote:But then if RM did admit it, would they then put the blame on OPGs not using light weight trollies if suitable for their walk?bustedflush wrote:Yep. I was IHR'd with it. Hardly any pain now. Excessive walking I believe is akin to repetitive strain injury, it's becoming apparent that since short and very early deliveries on bikes the park-and-loop is causing health issues and I cannot see anybody starting since the revision to P&L lasting 40-45 years in the job. RM won't admit it but musculoskeletal issues are ballooning and are the cause of most sicknesses.holly123 wrote:wonder when this gets classed as a postman's occupational disease
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
osteoarthritis
Apparently just 30 minutes of moderately intense exercise like walking 5 times a week is one of the best ways to keep joints healthy NOT 6 hours!! And I agree, back in the day fewer guys went off on sick because the duties were more manageable and there was more emphasis on people rather than profit.
And there was more 'goodwill' in the company and amongst staff as well
And there was more 'goodwill' in the company and amongst staff as well
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
osteoarthritis
That's true, however I can see RM managment using the fact that trollies might not have been used, as an excuse to blame any OPG unfortunate to end up long term sick due to musculoskeletal injuries! we all know RM management like to blame opgs for everything...bustedflush wrote:Trollies have little meaning here - not the weight necessarily but the sheer amount of walking we do/did along with poor footwear it's a recipe for wearing knees and ankles out.greengiant wrote:But then if RM did admit it, would they then put the blame on OPGs not using light weight trollies if suitable for their walk?bustedflush wrote:Yep. I was IHR'd with it. Hardly any pain now. Excessive walking I believe is akin to repetitive strain injury, it's becoming apparent that since short and very early deliveries on bikes the park-and-loop is causing health issues and I cannot see anybody starting since the revision to P&L lasting 40-45 years in the job. RM won't admit it but musculoskeletal issues are ballooning and are the cause of most sicknesses.holly123 wrote:wonder when this gets classed as a postman's occupational disease
And I agree that 6 hour + delivery spans are only going to cause more problems for people, even worse when one wave comes in!
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
osteoarthritis
I have knee issues which started at about the time "methods" was introduced. Still usually finish on time (apart from at the moment of course) on a HCT duty. But get constant criticism from the DOM that I should be finishing sooner- like the 20 year younger guy who did my round while I was on leave did! I still enjoy the basic idea of being a postie- being outside and delivering. But these aches and pains and constant grumbling from management makes the idea of retirement seem all the more sweeter!