ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

osteoarthritis

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
holly123
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 12:45
Gender: Male

osteoarthritis

Post by holly123 »

wonder when this gets classed as a postman's occupational disease
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

osteoarthritis

Post by bustedflush »

holly123 wrote:wonder when this gets classed as a postman's occupational disease
Yep. I was IHR'd with it. Hardly any pain now. Excessive walking I believe is akin to repetitive strain injury, it's becoming apparent that since short and very early deliveries on bikes the park-and-loop is causing health issues and I cannot see anybody starting since the revision to P&L lasting 40-45 years in the job. RM won't admit it but musculoskeletal issues are ballooning and are the cause of most sicknesses.
A2B
Posts: 2028
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

osteoarthritis

Post by A2B »

The days of anyone starting and doing 45 years in this job finished a looooooooooooooong time ago :crazy:
holly123
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 12:45
Gender: Male

osteoarthritis

Post by holly123 »

Union must have a record of how many have finish with this type of issue, needs pushing to the Health And Safety Executive if they have.
max power
Posts: 113
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 21:30

osteoarthritis

Post by max power »

Union are really not that bothered i don't think

all management care about is profit

in my office the scales have been turned off so we can't weigh anything anymore

its all bollocks now
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

osteoarthritis

Post by Shaders »

:dance
max power wrote:Union are really not that bothered i don't think

all management care about is profit

in my office the scales have been turned off so we can't weigh anything anymore

its all bollocks now
Our scales were put outside to rust about 3-4 years ago
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

osteoarthritis

Post by greengiant »

bustedflush wrote:
holly123 wrote:wonder when this gets classed as a postman's occupational disease
Yep. I was IHR'd with it. Hardly any pain now. Excessive walking I believe is akin to repetitive strain injury, it's becoming apparent that since short and very early deliveries on bikes the park-and-loop is causing health issues and I cannot see anybody starting since the revision to P&L lasting 40-45 years in the job. RM won't admit it but musculoskeletal issues are ballooning and are the cause of most sicknesses.
But then if RM did admit it, would they then put the blame on OPGs not using light weight trollies if suitable for their walk?
holly123
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 12:45
Gender: Male

osteoarthritis

Post by holly123 »

never saw as many people suffer with this tho when we did the old two deliveries way,
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

osteoarthritis

Post by bustedflush »

greengiant wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
holly123 wrote:wonder when this gets classed as a postman's occupational disease
Yep. I was IHR'd with it. Hardly any pain now. Excessive walking I believe is akin to repetitive strain injury, it's becoming apparent that since short and very early deliveries on bikes the park-and-loop is causing health issues and I cannot see anybody starting since the revision to P&L lasting 40-45 years in the job. RM won't admit it but musculoskeletal issues are ballooning and are the cause of most sicknesses.
But then if RM did admit it, would they then put the blame on OPGs not using light weight trollies if suitable for their walk?
Trollies have little meaning here - not the weight necessarily but the sheer amount of walking we do/did along with poor footwear it's a recipe for wearing knees and ankles out.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

osteoarthritis

Post by postslippete »

Apparently just 30 minutes of moderately intense exercise like walking 5 times a week is one of the best ways to keep joints healthy NOT 6 hours!! And I agree, back in the day fewer guys went off on sick because the duties were more manageable and there was more emphasis on people rather than profit.

And there was more 'goodwill' in the company and amongst staff as well :cool
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

osteoarthritis

Post by greengiant »

bustedflush wrote:
greengiant wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
holly123 wrote:wonder when this gets classed as a postman's occupational disease
Yep. I was IHR'd with it. Hardly any pain now. Excessive walking I believe is akin to repetitive strain injury, it's becoming apparent that since short and very early deliveries on bikes the park-and-loop is causing health issues and I cannot see anybody starting since the revision to P&L lasting 40-45 years in the job. RM won't admit it but musculoskeletal issues are ballooning and are the cause of most sicknesses.
But then if RM did admit it, would they then put the blame on OPGs not using light weight trollies if suitable for their walk?
Trollies have little meaning here - not the weight necessarily but the sheer amount of walking we do/did along with poor footwear it's a recipe for wearing knees and ankles out.
That's true, however I can see RM managment using the fact that trollies might not have been used, as an excuse to blame any OPG unfortunate to end up long term sick due to musculoskeletal injuries! we all know RM management like to blame opgs for everything... :cry

And I agree that 6 hour + delivery spans are only going to cause more problems for people, even worse when one wave comes in!
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

osteoarthritis

Post by fly-catchers »

I have knee issues which started at about the time "methods" was introduced. Still usually finish on time (apart from at the moment of course) on a HCT duty. But get constant criticism from the DOM that I should be finishing sooner- like the 20 year younger guy who did my round while I was on leave did! I still enjoy the basic idea of being a postie- being outside and delivering. But these aches and pains and constant grumbling from management makes the idea of retirement seem all the more sweeter!