ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Unused Annual Leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
404909
Posts: 13
Joined: 11 Jun 2015, 18:21
Gender: Male

Unused Annual Leave

Post by 404909 »

I'll potentially be leaving Royal Mail at the start of the new year to start a new job after being year for 1.5 years, I have 16 days of Annual leave that I still haven't been able to take. Will I be entitled to any payment for these?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Unused Annual Leave

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

404909 wrote:I'll potentially be leaving Royal Mail at the start of the new year to start a new job after being year for 1.5 years, I have 16 days of Annual leave that I still haven't been able to take. Will I be entitled to any payment for these?
yes - if you have accrued enough statutory leave. https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement- ... ving-a-job" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Getting paid instead of taking holidays
The only time someone can get paid in place of taking statutory leave (known as ‘payment in lieu’) is when they leave their job. Employers must pay for untaken statutory leave (even if the worker is dismissed for gross misconduct).

If an employer offers more than 5.6 weeks’ annual leave, they can agree separate arrangements for the extra leave.
Anything beyond the statutory leave should be agreed at the time of your resignation.

However, if 16 days is the amount left from a full years entitlement, then you won't have accrued enough as you won't be working a full year. In fact if you resign in the new year you will have only accrued roughly 3/4 of a years entitlement so you may have only 10 or 11 days available.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
404909
Posts: 13
Joined: 11 Jun 2015, 18:21
Gender: Male

Unused Annual Leave

Post by 404909 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
404909 wrote:I'll potentially be leaving Royal Mail at the start of the new year to start a new job after being year for 1.5 years, I have 16 days of Annual leave that I still haven't been able to take. Will I be entitled to any payment for these?
yes - if you have accrued enough statutory leave. https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement- ... ving-a-job" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Getting paid instead of taking holidays
The only time someone can get paid in place of taking statutory leave (known as ‘payment in lieu’) is when they leave their job. Employers must pay for untaken statutory leave (even if the worker is dismissed for gross misconduct).

If an employer offers more than 5.6 weeks’ annual leave, they can agree separate arrangements for the extra leave.
Anything beyond the statutory leave should be agreed at the time of your resignation.

However, if 16 days is the amount left from a full years entitlement, then you won't have accrued enough as you won't be working a full year. In fact if you resign in the new year you will have only accrued roughly 3/4 of a years entitlement so you may have only 10 or 11 days available.
Sorry about bumping this, but how will I go about claiming this? I will be leaving in January.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Unused Annual Leave

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Ask for it when you resign, or better include a request for it in your resignation letter, hopefully it will be an automatic process, but at least you will have documentary evidence should a problem occur.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
404909
Posts: 13
Joined: 11 Jun 2015, 18:21
Gender: Male

Unused Annual Leave

Post by 404909 »

Final question, I should also be entitled to annual leave carried over from last year and also annual leave days I was given in lieu of pay on bank holidays right? Just want to make sure I get everything I should be entitled too.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Unused Annual Leave

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

yes
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.