Due to various reasons I've ended up in a bit of debt. I currently pay £140 ish a week to the three credit unions. I'm in the process of setting up a debt management plan with Stepchange but for it to start I need to get these deductions stopped and they will be paid through the plan. I have previously asked payroll by letter to stop the deductions but they say they can only stop if the cu requests it. The credit unions wouldn't do this.
Has anyone had similar problems? What was the outcome? Would the credit unions be more willing to stop deductions now I have a DMP in place?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Stopping CU payments
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Stopping CU payments
I'm pretty sure the DMP company should inform the CUs to stop deducting the payments from your wages because you'll be paying them with a different method and hopefully slot lower than that price a week. Remember they can only make you pay what you can afford to pay.
-
notts1862
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 07 Feb 2013, 08:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Stopping CU payments
As for debt management firms. The best one is Christians against poverty. Its totally free and you don't have to be a christian. Be honest with them and they will support you all the way. They also run money management classes and they are fantastic. Been debt free now for 5 years.
-
karlnotts
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 02 Sep 2010, 14:33
- Gender: Male
Stopping CU payments
How did you get on with trying to stop these payments
-
MAILMAN84
- Posts: 186
- Joined: 04 May 2008, 14:05
Stopping CU payments
Would also like to know. I got £60 a week coming in and filed for bankruptcy/sequestration. Taking its time tho and xmas coming up...
-
Theghost
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Stopping CU payments
I have seen this problem in my office,Ok funds held and owed are all members funds so i understand that they need them in,But alot of people are having their lives turned upside down with these Credit unions.It seems when things go wrong for someone in life,They do very little to help,Crazy that payroll do not let the employee reduce payments,What has it got to do with payroll? Its not like its an attatchment of earnings,But they certainly treat it as such.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Stopping CU payments
Get a debt relief order £90 if you owe less than 20k but more than 5k I think and stays on your file for 6 years but wipes all your debt