ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Giving Notice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Knobber
Posts: 6
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 17:10
Gender: Male

Giving Notice

Post by Knobber »

Been a Postie for year now but had enough of not having a regular round, and I seem to be the one to get sent all over the place to other DO's. Any way I have 7 days A/L left which I was told I could'nt use between Nov/Dec , can I take them instead of working my 1 weeks notice ????
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Giving Notice

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Knobber wrote:Been a Postie for year now but had enough of not having a regular round, and I seem to be the one to get sent all over the place to other DO's. Any way I have 7 days A/L left which I was told I could'nt use between Nov/Dec , can I take them instead of working my 1 weeks notice ????
That will be up to your managers but at this time of year I doubt it.

Also you say you have 7 days left, Is that left from a full years leave entitlement, or is it over and above what you have accrued.

With the leave year starting in April, and you leaving early December you will be only entitled to 3/4 of a years entitlement.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Knobber
Posts: 6
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 17:10
Gender: Male

Giving Notice

Post by Knobber »

I got a print out from the office after I got back from having 2 weeks off in October, and it says I have still have 7 days a/l entitlement !!!
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Giving Notice

Post by Pathfinder »

Think that's assuming you work up until years end (April)
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Giving Notice

Post by bustedflush »

Another who found the life of a dogsbody reserve no fun at all. Good luck for the future, whatever you do next you'll almost certainly feel the weight of stress lifted from you.

You did well, at induction I was told only 1/9 new inductees are still OPG's after 6 months. About right from what I saw come and go in my 4 years.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Giving Notice

Post by rubberbond »

bustedflush wrote:Another who found the life of a dogsbody reserve no fun at all. Good luck for the future, whatever you do next you'll almost certainly feel the weight of stress lifted from you.

You did well, at induction I was told only 1/9 new inductees are still OPG's after 6 months. About right from what I saw come and go in my 4 years.
1 in 9? Crikey,that's a very high turnover ,regrettably it doesn't surprise me.
*xen*
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Feb 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Giving Notice

Post by *xen* »

Since I started 5 years ago there have been 46 new starters at an office of 90 OPGs.

23 of those 46 have subsequently quit so exactly 50% of new starters at our office decide its not for them.

This is usually because they get treated like absolute dog-s**t (sent out on their own on rounds they've never done before
and forgotten about (one guy returned at 7pm!!), sent to any old office, never getting a Saturday off etc etc.)

Now I don't know how much it costs to recruit people but surely the apathetic, lazy line managers and DOMs and their
'sink or swim' method of sorting new starters must be costing a fortune.
Last edited by *xen* on 27 Nov 2016, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
That money talks,
I'll not deny,
I heard it once,
It said 'goodbye'.
Theghost
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 417
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

Giving Notice

Post by Theghost »

Knobber wrote:I got a print out from the office after I got back from having 2 weeks off in October, and it says I have still have 7 days a/l entitlement !!!
Like others have said,Only if you work until April you are entitled.
Just walk out with stress.
They wont do anything,The top brass know managers are bullying people and the workers are stressed,A form of bullying in alot of workplaces --- "To consistently give the employee unachievable workloads on a regular basis" Sound familiar?