ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Quick question on collections.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Brownma34
Posts: 6
Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 14:38
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by Brownma34 »

Hi,

Basically I'm in my 7th week of the job and yesterday I was given a walk to do on my own. I had to prep a difficult frame I'd never done before and it was gone 10am before I even got out.

I was asked to do 4 collections on my way round which I missed 3 of because I was running late, I figured it would be better to get rid of the mail and parcels I had instead of the collections and get my lapsing done. It was gone 4pm before I got back to the depot, last back!

My question is will there be any consequence of missing these collections?

I've had no training whatsoever and I feel like I was a bit stitched up covering this walk.
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by Pathfinder »

Wouldn't worry about it, just explain yourself if it comes up. If they've trained you and shown you where each one is, simple mistake, say you won't do it again bla bla, if they've not trained you have nothing to fear because it's their problem :dance

Could always use the ''PDA was playing up'' excuse :nana
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by Pompey Boy »

Sounds like you were stitched up, but be careful about missing collections. They can tell from ABC if you have missed a collection and then the dreaded test letters might start appearing in the future. Miss these and it could lead to suspension and being done for wilful delay of the mail. By the way leaving the office at 10 is early at our place!
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
Brownma34
Posts: 6
Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 14:38
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by Brownma34 »

Cheers for the replies, to be honest I think I was the last resort as it seems it's a bastard of a walk to prep and the guy who's it is, is in Mexico.

Suppose if i'm asked I'll just say I figured it would be better to do the mail as I didn't know where I stood on missing them.

Got a feeling I could be on the same walk next week but hopefully not on my own.
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Quick question on collections.

Post by salomon2 »

Did you download them onto your pda, as you shouldn't be able to miss them as they won't be cleared.If you ever miss them again tell someone on evening collections as they would have to do them but really you would probably have to go back and do them yourself. Speak to your workplace coach and tell him to show you what to do.
Brownma34
Posts: 6
Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 14:38
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by Brownma34 »

Didn't download them to my pda and adhoc'd the first one I did.

I'll try and find the work place coach and have a word.

Cheers.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Quick question on collections.

Post by nickbsmooth »

Just another chore added to a already hard job,just as well we've all got so much spare time. I've missed the boxes a couple of times for various reasons in the past and the manager has gone and done them,it wasn't treated like a crime.
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by telithowitis »

My advice for future would be once you have prepped the frame/bundled up, if you think you don't have enough time just tell them you are not taking the savings and complete your delivery and collections.
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by Pompey Boy »

nickbsmooth wrote:Just another chore added to a already hard job,just as well we've all got so much spare time. I've missed the boxes a couple of times for various reasons in the past and the manager has gone and done them,it wasn't treated like a crime.
Blimey!
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
Brownma34
Posts: 6
Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 14:38
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by Brownma34 »

Managers didn't say jack to me today and I've been on the same walk and managed to empty all 4 collections.

The lad I was with did lose his PDA tough and wasted 1 1/2 hours looking for it before he found it behind his seat in the van!
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by greengiant »

Brownma34 wrote:Managers didn't say jack to me today and I've been on the same walk and managed to empty all 4 collections.

The lad I was with did lose his PDA tough and wasted 1 1/2 hours looking for it before he found it behind his seat in the van!
Hopefully it was easier now you knew the round a little better today?

lol, I've once been looking in my pouch bag for my pda, when I actually had is strapped round my left hand! :roll:
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Quick question on collections.

Post by NewPostieUK »

Brownma34 wrote: Basically I'm in my 7th week of the job
I'm assuming you are part time? I know it differs depending on duty (never mind office) but most part timers don't prep duties. Are you going in early on overtime to prep?

10 is normal for getting out for me, and back at 4 not unusual at this time of year.
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by Pompey Boy »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Brownma34 wrote: Basically I'm in my 7th week of the job
I'm assuming you are part time? I know it differs depending on duty (never mind office) but most part timers don't prep duties. Are you going in early on overtime to prep?

10 is normal for getting out for me, and back at 4 not unusual at this time of year.
Think this is why some of our hybrid duties are failing. Person on hybrid comes in at 9, by which time partner should have preped both frames :crazy: What usually happens is that they get out at 10:30 or even later, then the hybrid guy has to be back for 1:30 so that he can have a break before his SA collection.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Quick question on collections.

Post by woopesh »

I reckon nothing will happen to you if you are 7 weeks in. They might chat to you about it but if they haven't trained you, it won't go further. You'd probably have to do something stupid or illegal to get the sack so early on. Steal something. Assault someone. Deliver one bundle and tell them that's your limit etc.

If you are in the same situation again, I've repeatedly been instructed to prioritise Special Deliveries (before 1pm), anything with Tracked written on it and the collections. Sometimes when I have to cut off I'll spend the last 30mins delivering just the Tracked items. I think these must be key performance measures for the DOM's bonus.