ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal mail Footwear

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

Royal mail Footwear

Post by Clared »

Does anyone else struggle with Footwear especially the walking boots ?
I'm fine with the Anvil type but soon has I put any boots on my feet they become very sore & blister.
Thinking of buying my own to wear but a colleague said I would need to get a doctor's note to wear them. I assume that means RM won't be liable if I have an accident wearing them. Does anyone wear their own footwear ?
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by lightningpostman »

THERE ALL CRAP,

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

there not designed for walking, royalmail needs to scrap them completly and give there posties contributions towards proper sportsware that were designed for walking/running, not that crap that hurts your feet, rubbs your feet causing laserations and all sorts of discomfort.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by rubberbond »

Clared wrote:Does anyone else struggle with Footwear especially the walking boots ?
I'm fine with the Anvil type but soon has I put any boots on my feet they become very sore & blister.
Thinking of buying my own to wear but a colleague said I would need to get a doctor's note to wear them. I assume that means RM won't be liable if I have an accident wearing them. Does anyone wear their own footwear ?
I buy my own,because Royal Mail certainly won't look after my feet. I bought a pair of Hiax Boots ,they are brilliant,lightweight,hard wearing and comfortable,they have the best grip on wet surfaces of any boots I have ever worn. Yes they cost ,but as I say, Royal Mail won't look after my feet,so I must. I believe these boots are now issued to soldiers,so that's another recommendation for you. Oh and I don't have a note from my doctor, he is too busy to bother with Royal Mail bureaucratic stupidity.
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by DiamondSmiles »

rubberbond wrote:
Clared wrote:Does anyone else struggle with Footwear especially the walking boots ?
I'm fine with the Anvil type but soon has I put any boots on my feet they become very sore & blister.
Thinking of buying my own to wear but a colleague said I would need to get a doctor's note to wear them. I assume that means RM won't be liable if I have an accident wearing them. Does anyone wear their own footwear ?
I buy my own,because Royal Mail certainly won't look after my feet. I bought a pair of Hiax Boots ,they are brilliant,lightweight,hard wearing and comfortable,they have the best grip on wet surfaces of any boots I have ever worn. Yes they cost ,but as I say, Royal Mail won't look after my feet,so I must. I believe these boots are now issued to soldiers,so that's another recommendation for you. Oh and I don't have a note from my doctor, he is too busy to bother with Royal Mail bureaucratic stupidity.
Yes, I wear my own too now, a pair of Merrell trainers. They cost £95 and I REALLY had to push myself to buy them as I don't think it's right we should have to buy our own footwear. However the Royal Mail ones are a heap of poo and will do damage, maybe even permanent damage to my feet. I don't have a doctors note but I make sure the trainers are all black. Managers, in my office at least don't seem to notice/care.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by eastie »

Royal Mail footwear crippled me and my doctor said that he had so many postmen come in for a letter he had a template for it. Since I got my own footwear my feet have gone back to normal in 3 weeks
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by rubberbond »

lightningpostman wrote:THERE ALL CRAP,

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

there not designed for walking, royalmail needs to scrap them completly and give there posties contributions towards proper sportsware that were designed for walking/running, not that crap that hurts your feet, rubbs your feet causing laserations and all sorts of discomfort.
Let's face it,the majority of the stuff they provide is rubbish,raincoats that leak,trousers that look awful and are ill fitting,with no redeeeming features,baseball cap,is okay though
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by telithowitis »

The YDS are great. Comfortable the first time I wore them and still going well.
I did lots of walking before I joined RM and the YDS are as good as anything I have bought privately. They are also water proof. I'm very critical of the "storm proof jacket" which is useless and definitely not waterproof but when I joined I asked around with the lads and 90% recommended YDS
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

Royal mail Footwear

Post by Clared »

Decided I can't carry on wearing those boots !
So I have invested in a pair of comfy DR Martin's today real comfy too. Weren't cheap either but like most of you say feet are important so the cost wasn't really important as long as they are comfortable that's the main thing ! Don't think I'll bother with the Drs note either the waiting list to get an appointment this time of year is almost 3 weeks.
By the way I would never recommend the RM Magnum Boots or Shoes they are the worst footwear I have ever worn. That's a note to any newbies getting new shoes
Thanks for the advice ppl :thumbup
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

Royal mail Footwear

Post by Clared »

telithowitis wrote:The YDS are great. Comfortable the first time I wore them and still going well.
I did lots of walking before I joined RM and the YDS are as good as anything I have bought privately. They are also water proof. I'm very critical of the "storm proof jacket" which is useless and definitely not waterproof but when I joined I asked around with the lads and 90% recommended YDS
Had a couple pair of those (YDS) but the soles wear really quickly I worn a pair of those out in 8 weeks !
They were really comfortable but they aren't great for this time of year. Prefer the Anvil for comfort but they aren't waterproof
Mr Incognito
Posts: 64
Joined: 02 Jul 2013, 21:02
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by Mr Incognito »

For those of you having issues with RM's footwear, as I was, there is an American shoe manufacturer that goes by the name of Altra. Their shoes all feature wide toe boxes and what they call zero drop soles, basically the sole is the same height at the heel as it is at the toe. What this means is that your feet are allowed to act as naturally as they would if you were walking barefooted - the structures of you foot are allowed to spread out, the tendons in the foot can act as the perfect shock absorbers and the flat sole allows your achilles to work just like a tensioned spring which means less fatigue for the calf muscles. When you consider that nature never intended us to wear anything on our feet, wearing most overly-cushioned motion control shoes (or cheap, poorly designed shoes) may cause all sorts of bio-mechanical issues - as i discovered.

Since wearing the Altra's I have found that I have no more issues with foot or knee pain, my feet no longer feel like they are on fire after a couple of hours walking and I no longer seem to suffer from chronic lower limb muscle fatigue. These shoes are available in the UK but that aren't cheap at £110 a pair, however if you have a doctors cert then I believe that you can get RM to contribute to the cost.
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by Pompey Boy »

Agree all RM shoes crap and not fit for purpose, just like uniform, vans and everything else. I prefer Salomon trainers - not cheap, but very comfortable and hard wearing. Also I've had some good trainers from Lidl and Aldi - comfortable and great value!
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by woopesh »

Mr Incognito wrote:For those of you having issues with RM's footwear, as I was, there is an American shoe manufacturer that goes by the name of Altra. Their shoes all feature wide toe boxes and what they call zero drop soles, basically the sole is the same height at the heel as it is at the toe. What this means is that your feet are allowed to act as naturally as they would if you were walking barefooted - the structures of you foot are allowed to spread out, the tendons in the foot can act as the perfect shock absorbers and the flat sole allows your achilles to work just like a tensioned spring which means less fatigue for the calf muscles. When you consider that nature never intended us to wear anything on our feet, wearing most overly-cushioned motion control shoes (or cheap, poorly designed shoes) may cause all sorts of bio-mechanical issues - as i discovered.

Since wearing the Altra's I have found that I have no more issues with foot or knee pain, my feet no longer feel like they are on fire after a couple of hours walking and I no longer seem to suffer from chronic lower limb muscle fatigue. These shoes are available in the UK but that aren't cheap at £110 a pair, however if you have a doctors cert then I believe that you can get RM to contribute to the cost.
Where did you get them? I want to get a pair.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by wacko74 »

rubberbond wrote:
lightningpostman wrote:THERE ALL CRAP,

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

there not designed for walking, royalmail needs to scrap them completly and give there posties contributions towards proper sportsware that were designed for walking/running, not that crap that hurts your feet, rubbs your feet causing laserations and all sorts of discomfort.
Let's face it,the majority of the stuff they provide is rubbish,raincoats that leak,trousers that look awful and are ill fitting,with no redeeeming features,baseball cap,is okay though
I'd disagree that the baseball cap is ok... I only feel the need to wear a cap in the summer to keep the sun off my face and shield my eyes, a dark grey cap is hardly ideal in fierce summer sun, it needs to be light coloured to reflect the suns rays.
Mr Incognito
Posts: 64
Joined: 02 Jul 2013, 21:02
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by Mr Incognito »

woopesh wrote:
Mr Incognito wrote:For those of you having issues with RM's footwear, as I was, there is an American shoe manufacturer that goes by the name of Altra. Their shoes all feature wide toe boxes and what they call zero drop soles, basically the sole is the same height at the heel as it is at the toe. What this means is that your feet are allowed to act as naturally as they would if you were walking barefooted - the structures of you foot are allowed to spread out, the tendons in the foot can act as the perfect shock absorbers and the flat sole allows your achilles to work just like a tensioned spring which means less fatigue for the calf muscles. When you consider that nature never intended us to wear anything on our feet, wearing most overly-cushioned motion control shoes (or cheap, poorly designed shoes) may cause all sorts of bio-mechanical issues - as i discovered.

Since wearing the Altra's I have found that I have no more issues with foot or knee pain, my feet no longer feel like they are on fire after a couple of hours walking and I no longer seem to suffer from chronic lower limb muscle fatigue. These shoes are available in the UK but that aren't cheap at £110 a pair, however if you have a doctors cert then I believe that you can get RM to contribute to the cost.
Where did you get them? I want to get a pair.
I get them from here http://www.accelerateuk.com/shop/produc ... tinct-3-5/ The black and white ones are probably the only ones that you will get away with in work colourwise. Bear in mind that the shoe size is shown in UK sizes but they do come up 1/2 size small, so if you are a 9UK you will need to order a 9 1/2. Altra have their own website and there are plenty of reviews on Youtube too.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Royal mail Footwear

Post by aiden01 »

rubberbond wrote:
Clared wrote:Does anyone else struggle with Footwear especially the walking boots ?
I'm fine with the Anvil type but soon has I put any boots on my feet they become very sore & blister.
Thinking of buying my own to wear but a colleague said I would need to get a doctor's note to wear them. I assume that means RM won't be liable if I have an accident wearing them. Does anyone wear their own footwear ?
I buy my own,because Royal Mail certainly won't look after my feet. I bought a pair of Hiax Boots ,they are brilliant,lightweight,hard wearing and comfortable,they have the best grip on wet surfaces of any boots I have ever worn. Yes they cost ,but as I say, Royal Mail won't look after my feet,so I must. I believe these boots are now issued to soldiers,so that's another recommendation for you. Oh and I don't have a note from my doctor, he is too busy to bother with Royal Mail bureaucratic stupidity.
You are losing out on £30 free from rm for suitable then :confused :sad: :crazy: