ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

parcels

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
the mad woman
Posts: 178
Joined: 20 May 2007, 13:37

parcels

Post by the mad woman »

anybody know what weight of parcels we can refuse to take out and where can I get info from to print out thanks
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

parcels

Post by yellowbelly »

I would like to know the answer to this too. I think it's been mentioned before but I don't think a definitive answer
was given.

RM website pages for max parcels size that can be sent give the max size as 20kg, 60cm x 46cm x 46cm for a medium parcel.

Anything larger than this 'should' or 'can' be sent through PF.

We get loads through that are in excess of one of the dimension limits (not many that weigh more) and we just accept them.

I would like to know if PO staff are inadvertently accepting larger parcels in order to give customers a cheaper deal or
they don't understand the RM pricing and/or if businesses are getting larger parcels into the 'normal' RM system (as opposed to PF)
and RM don't say/do anything as they don't want to lose business.

Don't know if there's any Union/RM agreement to say that the everyday postie must only deliver parcels up to medium dimensions.
Medium parcel dimensions are not that big when you measure it out.

Hopefully some of the more experienced posties on the boards will have the answer......
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

parcels

Post by greengiant »

Nothing worse than a giant cardboard box, full of helium balloons, which takes up the majority of space in the back of a Bipper... :crazy:
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

parcels

Post by nickbsmooth »

We've delivered car body parts ,dysons,push chairs etc.
When I went to send a lightweight 4x2ft aquarium background I was told by the post office only parcel force could do that.
So are we delivering stuff that parcel force cannot do due to work load or are we just taking any corporate business.
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

parcels

Post by PHARRY »

the mad woman wrote:anybody know what weight of parcels we can refuse to take out and where can I get info from to print out thanks
87000 KG
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

parcels

Post by Lounge Lizard »

the mad woman wrote:anybody know what weight of parcels we can refuse to take out and where can I get info from to print out thanks
30kg.
"Get a price" on the Royal Mail website states "Sorry, we do not carry items over 30kg". :cuppa
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

parcels

Post by rubberbond »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
the mad woman wrote:anybody know what weight of parcels we can refuse to take out and where can I get info from to print out thanks
30kg.
"Get a price" on the Royal Mail website states "Sorry, we do not carry items over 30kg". :cuppa
That's a job for Parcelforce.
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

parcels

Post by telithowitis »

We have had some really large parcels dimensions wise of late, and are regularly getting 50 plus large parcels in addition to the small packets, averaging 10 plus in each loop bag, oh and this week 5 D2D of which 2 are catalogue books.
Crazy and they wonder why so many people are going sick in our DO.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

parcels

Post by WOBBLY »

greengiant wrote:Nothing worse than a giant cardboard box, full of helium balloons, which takes up the majority of space in the back of a Bipper... :crazy:
A matchbox takes up most of the back of a Bipper :left: :left:
stephen.cal87
Posts: 72
Joined: 19 May 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

parcels

Post by stephen.cal87 »

So are we losing amazon? I had an amazon parcel delivered by myHermes yesterday. Normally all my amazon deliveries come through royal mail.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

parcels

Post by yellowbelly »

stephen.cal87 wrote:So are we losing amazon? I had an amazon parcel delivered by myHermes yesterday. Normally all my amazon deliveries come through royal mail.

Amazon started using its own delivery service in 2015 according to this article in the Telegraph:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mark ... giant.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and said RM couldn't cope:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... azon-boss/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but we've seen more and more of their stuff coming back through RM as I think their delivery systems can't cope either.......
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

parcels

Post by Lounge Lizard »

rubberbond wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
the mad woman wrote:anybody know what weight of parcels we can refuse to take out and where can I get info from to print out thanks
30kg.
"Get a price" on the Royal Mail website states "Sorry, we do not carry items over 30kg". :cuppa
That's a job for Parcelforce.
Yes, I stand corrected.
20kg is the maximum for Royal Mail ( 10 to 20kg is £33.40 first class and £28.55 second class )
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

parcels

Post by yellowbelly »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
rubberbond wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
the mad woman wrote:anybody know what weight of parcels we can refuse to take out and where can I get info from to print out thanks
30kg.
"Get a price" on the Royal Mail website states "Sorry, we do not carry items over 30kg". :cuppa
That's a job for Parcelforce.
Yes, I stand corrected.
20kg is the maximum for Royal Mail ( 10 to 20kg is £33.40 first class and £28.55 second class )
Fully agree with your findings re weight but it's the sizes of the blinkin' things we get through the system. They might weigh less
than the max but when they take up half a york or more (duvets and bubble wrap rolls being two examples!) I'm under the impression
we ('normal' RM) shouldn't be taking them, they should be going through PF.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

parcels

Post by nickbsmooth »

30kg well that's over the health and safety maximum weight for an individual to lift. Hence cement being in 25kg bag these days
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

parcels

Post by Lounge Lizard »

yellowbelly wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
rubberbond wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
the mad woman wrote:anybody know what weight of parcels we can refuse to take out and where can I get info from to print out thanks
30kg.
"Get a price" on the Royal Mail website states "Sorry, we do not carry items over 30kg". :cuppa
That's a job for Parcelforce.
Yes, I stand corrected.
20kg is the maximum for Royal Mail ( 10 to 20kg is £33.40 first class and £28.55 second class )
Fully agree with your findings re weight but it's the sizes of the blinkin' things we get through the system. They might weigh less
than the max but when they take up half a york or more (duvets and bubble wrap rolls being two examples!) I'm under the impression
we ('normal' RM) shouldn't be taking them, they should be going through PF.
Yes, for Royal Mail the limits are Length 61cm, Width 46cm and Depth 46cm ( with the Weight limit of 20kg ) but many bigger than this get into the system.