ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by woopesh »

I was wondering what you can get away with? If a dog slipped past the owners legs and started barking at you could you give it a good kicking? Or does it have to attack you before you act? What's Royal Mail policy on this? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hero. Last time a massive pit bull type dog had a go at me I ran like hell. But some of the smaller dogs, I fancy my chances. If I did kick a dog, I'm sure the owner will complain to Royal Mail. Will I get disciplined? When can you cross that line if ever?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by aiden01 »

woopesh wrote:I was wondering what you can get away with? If a dog slipped past the owners legs and started barking at you could you give it a good kicking? Or does it have to attack you before you act? What's Royal Mail policy on this? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hero. Last time a massive pit bull type dog had a go at me I ran like hell. But some of the smaller dogs, I fancy my chances. If I did kick a dog, I'm sure the owner will complain to Royal Mail. Will I get disciplined? When can you cross that line?
would just say always defend yourself in any way you can.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by cpsteve »

Yes its great fun but best to start with cats and work your way up.
jetblack
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by jetblack »

unhappyCumbria wrote: If a dog escapes, try not to run and try put something between you and it - not your foot
Like what ?

I've been in that situation (more than once). Last time it happened I managed to land my steel toe cap on the underside of the offenders furry jaw :cool

Not only did it have the desired effect of quelling the dogs aggression (and this dog was indeed an aggressive dog - still is) - but it also, to this day, gives me a nice warm feeling inside when I summon up the memory.

Do what you gotta do out there folks.
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by Postie45 »

unhappyCumbria wrote:You don't go kicking anything. Neanderthal :no no

If there is a dog on the property, don't go in. If a dog escapes, try not to run and try put something between you and it - not your foot, it's likely to go for your leg. If it bites you report it and get the CWU lawyers on it and get some compo!

Yes if you know a dog is there or could be out then dont go in. But of course you can kick it if its charging at you aggressively, theres no rules in that situation, take any steps you feel necessary to protect yourself. Id rather not get bitten and potentially seriously injured. A pouch wont stop a dog, and most items you can hide behind its going to get behind too. As I say do whatever you can to protect yourself, if you dont feel kicking it will help then do something else, theres not much time to reflect and make a decision on what you will do though. Not all dog bites are simple little bites, they can do great damage.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by yellowbelly »

I had a long thin bubble padded packet that I was delivering to a house that I knew there was a fair chance that she would let the little
yapper out, even though it just gives it the big yap yap yap til it's about two feet away then runs off (usual comments of 'She won't hurt you, just wants to play, yada
yada, yada).

Was getting fed up of this even though it had never bit me, so before she opened the door
tactically positioned the packet down in front of my shins in such a way that it looked like I was
casually holding it, however as expected yapper went for the packet and was biting and shaking
it like it had a rat. Big rips and bite marks in the packet. Needless to say package was not in mint condition.
How I laughed to myself when she finally got the dog in - dog gets put in the kitchen before door opens now........

Another tactic I use if there's a dog and the householder is the sort that can't be bothered interrupting their mobile call,
is holding a rugrat or cup of coffee when answering the door, then I knock then stand about 6ft back from the door and say 'need a sig
but you need to get the dog away from the door'. Cue lots of struggling to get the dog back while juggling mobile, rugrat or cup of
coffee. I have actually walked away from delivering because they wouldn't/couldn't get their HofB away from the doorstep.

I've also physically held the door from opening a couple of times and asked the customer to secure the dog when I've suspected there's a right beast behind the door - this really
upsets them but it's one method I learned from an old timer when I first started. Rather that than get bitten.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by nickbsmooth »

My friend/colleague kicked a dog the other week. The owner followed him down the road then started laying into him. The guy was wired by all accounts,it happened in a shithole area.
Management didn't give a toss mearly said it's a bad area,nice!
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by Creditshampoo »

I'd say kick the dog with all your strength if you think it will stop it biting you
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by bustedflush »

My favoured method was the Silvikrin hairspray can and soldering a roller/flint from a Clipper lighter in front of the nozzle.

For little rat-hounds with not much power and sharp teeth that followed me out into the road a short non-ignited burst of hairspray would irritate its nose and eyes and make it zoom back indoors, along with a strange smell and stiff Mohican in its fur if (it was windy).

For the potentially more damaging bigger b*stards a 2-second ignited burst around the arse area would do the trick and have them fleeing back with an awful singed smell and smoke trail from their tail (if they had one beforehand).
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Most dogs are faster than us and would be out of the way before your foot made contact. :sad:
I would never intend to kick a dog but have instinctively lashed out if my ankle's been nipped. :evil/mad
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

woopesh wrote:I was wondering what you can get away with? If a dog slipped past the owners legs and started barking at you could you give it a good kicking? Or does it have to attack you before you act? What's Royal Mail policy on this? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hero. Last time a massive pit bull type dog had a go at me I ran like hell. But some of the smaller dogs, I fancy my chances. If I did kick a dog, I'm sure the owner will complain to Royal Mail. Will I get disciplined? When can you cross that line if ever?

There is no policy, there doesn't need to be. You have the legal right to defend yourself using reasonable force when necessary on either Human or Animal if you feel in immediate danger of injury or death. But you don't have the right to use an inappropriate level of force, or for it to be premeditated.

I'll be honest - if you defended yourself by kicking a dog you would probably have to explain your actions to one or all of the following. The Police, RSPCA (they handle specialist animal cruelty investigations) and/or your Manager.

You would, of course, have to explain:

1. Why you entered the property or was it in a public area.
2. Were you aware of the presence of the animal?
3. Why you didn't retreat at the first sign of trouble.
4. Why you didn't use another method to protect yourself.
5. Did you feel yourself in immediate danger?
6. Was the reaction planned or an instinctive reaction to the situation.
7. Why you felt the situation warranted continued kicks instead of a single one.

For certain including the statement "fancy my chances" in any response would not be conducive to a positive result on your behalf. Also if an incident does occur after this post lets hope they don't feel the need to have an official police investigation involving a search of your internet history. :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by woopesh »

Thanks Trueblue. Good answer. I had a look at the 2014 amendments to the Dangerous Dogs Act here:

blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/2014/05/14/how-the-changes-to-the-dangerous-dogs-act-affect-you-and-your-dog/#.WChod7TfWf0

I think I'll back off and just report the owner and the dog to the police. All I need to do is feel threatened by a dog, that is enough reason to file a report as its now illegal. Let the RSPCA, the council and the Police come down on the dog owner instead. I'll be telling the dog owners as well that I will be reporting them. 9 out of 10 owners I come across are completely irresponsible and think its their dogs right to behave how they see fit without boundaries or limitations. They are totally clueless. Mind you a small minority of dogs are fine. Once a chihuahua puppy came out and rushed towards me... it was obviously wanting to play so we had a little bit of a duck and a dive. The vast majority of rushes by dogs are aggressive and terrorial however... growling, snarling, baring of teeth. I was indifferent to dogs before I became a postie. Now I hate them.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by sussexlad »

When I started at my delivery office 25 years ago there was an old story always being told that one of our guys got attacked by a dog and he kicked the dog first for protection and then for revenge. The story goes he kicked the dog to death. The guy was a total nutcase by all accounts but I never got to the bottom of the story.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by bustedflush »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
woopesh wrote:I was wondering what you can get away with? If a dog slipped past the owners legs and started barking at you could you give it a good kicking? Or does it have to attack you before you act? What's Royal Mail policy on this? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hero. Last time a massive pit bull type dog had a go at me I ran like hell. But some of the smaller dogs, I fancy my chances. If I did kick a dog, I'm sure the owner will complain to Royal Mail. Will I get disciplined? When can you cross that line if ever?

There is no policy, there doesn't need to be. You have the legal right to defend yourself using reasonable force when necessary on either Human or Animal if you feel in immediate danger of injury or death. But you don't have the right to use an inappropriate level of force, or for it to be premeditated.

I'll be honest - if you defended yourself by kicking a dog you would probably have to explain your actions to one or all of the following. The Police, RSPCA (they handle specialist animal cruelty investigations) and/or your Manager.

You would, of course, have to explain:

1. Why you entered the property or was it in a public area.
2. Were you aware of the presence of the animal?
3. Why you didn't retreat at the first sign of trouble.
4. Why you didn't use another method to protect yourself.
5. Did you feel yourself in immediate danger?
6. Was the reaction planned or an instinctive reaction to the situation.
7. Why you felt the situation warranted continued kicks instead of a single one.

For certain including the statement "fancy my chances" in any response would not be conducive to a positive result on your behalf. Also if an incident does occur after this post lets hope they don't feel the need to have an official police investigation involving a search of your internet history. :Very Happy
If you killed a dog and it was accepted there was no unnecessary 'cruelty' or intent to cause suffering the worst you could be charged with is Criminal Damage which may or may not come with a compensation order and/or smallish fine. If the dog was in a public place then it would be almost inconceivable you'd be charged at all as if not on a lead the owner would almost certainly be liable, and you had self-defence as an excuse. Usually a snarling yapping dog (and/or owner) would attract plenty of attention and therefore 'good' witnesses.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Has anyone ever kicked a dog?

Post by Chewster »

A few people in my office have booted a dog before, and sometimes it is indeed the only course of action.

Dogs are relatively intelligent creatures, indeed they are the only non primate to understand what we mean when we point our finger. So I find that all but the most vicious of dogs will back down if you point at it menacingly and shout at it. Otherwise it's gonna need a booting. Never had to do it yet but there are a few people who don't take the hint no matter how many times you moan or how many times they don't get their post because there's a dog running loose and the owner is nowhere to be seen.

I just don't understand how people can be so dim about their own dogs. Putting it in another room, or not putting it out in the front garden at the time the postie comes almost every day, is not hard. A few weeks ago there were two kids walking a collie on this street. The collie looked highly strung and I find that collies just don't like posties anyway. I gave them a wide berth, because I did think "well it must be alright if two kids younger than 10 are walking it." NOPE! It lashed out and grabbed the ankle of my trousers! The children's mother got an earful from me let me tell you. I banged on her door and explained to her that her dog tried to attack me, and that I couldn't believe how irresponsible she could be in letting her too small children walk it alone, especially when she KNOWS the postie is on the street at around that time nearly every day!