ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivery to Neighbour query

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by BeamishStout »

Earlier today I had a REC item for my neighbour (lives 5 doors away). They were not in but I left a 'We have delivered your parcel to your neighbour at' notice stating the item was at my address (he knows I'm a postie). The guy toddles along about 4.30pm hands me the card and takes the packet (not damaged in any way). The bloke asks who has signed for it. I had signed for it with my name and told him accordingly. Something about his manner led me to believe that he was not happy. Both my wife and I got the same feeling about him as he started babbling about the contents (a purse!!!). Did not get a heart warming 'thank you'. But looking at the RM website nowhere does it preclude the postman himself being the 'good neighbour' or have I got this wrong?

Needless to say I shall not be doing this household any 'good turns' in the future. Some folk really sound ungrateful..... :confused
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by Surreypostie »

In your position I may have done the same thing. You know it is delivered, he knows he has it, you are not trying to hide anything from anybody. This is the bigger problem with D2N, it is at the OPG's discretion and if something goes wrong there will be a little chat between the OPG, the unit rep and the manager. I wouldn't worry too much. The bloke has shot himself in the foot now as any future deliveries are going to get a 739 and he has a trek to collect it or a redelivery to arrange.
max power
Posts: 113
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 21:30

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by max power »

yeah same here anybody pisses me off once
then never again do i do any favours
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by Spedley »

I never ask a postie to take a neighbours parcel (and I deliver to a few colleagues). I consider it conflict of interest - you are not permitted to take mail home with you, full stop. If you go home for your break you are not permitted to take your bag with mail in it into your house.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Just putting this out there. I agree the DTN does not specifically rule out a postie acting as a neighbour, and when I am at home I have done this for the duty that covers my address. However, the security rules do state that no mail, in any circumstances should be taken home.

My view is that when not working a postie can act as a neighbour, but whilst actually delivering on the duty then I think its better to be circumspect and only do it for people you completely trust.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by steve1873 »

You need to be very, VERY careful in this situation. Never take mail of any kind home, even if it is to act as "the neighbour" in the DTN scenario. It leaves you open to all sorts of accusations.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by BeamishStout »

Well nothing was said at work so the guy did not complain. Thanks for the advice. Yes I've decided in future to follow the advice of most of the responders to my query. If they are not in they get P739'd rather than coming to my house (if no immediate other suitable neighbour available) :thumbup
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by terry2972 »

Who has time to deliver to neighbours lol I know I don't
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by eastie »

Slightly off topic, I deliver to my house on my round and have no toilet facilities on our round.
Whilst doing my loop with my address in do I
1/ Put the trolley in my house whilst using the toilet
or
2/leave it outside
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by rambo1 »

You should never leave yourself open by signing for anything yourself, although I can understand the irony that if you'd took it home and your wife had signed it would have been ok.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by rambo1 »

eastie wrote:Slightly off topic, I deliver to my house on my round and have no toilet facilities on our round.
Whilst doing my loop with my address in do I
1/ Put the trolley in my house whilst using the toilet
or
2/leave it outside
Use it as a toilet stop for you and your partner and just go there in the van. Problem solved.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by datasaint »

I wouldn't bother it's not only jeopardising the relationship with your neighbours (they'll expect you to do them favours constantly like holding/signing parcels, then get miffed if you don't), but you are leaving yourself open to complaints at work.
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Delivery to Neighbour query

Post by telithowitis »

Anyone who has a bad attitude- 739 every time you cannot win with life's complainers so give them nothing to complain about except the traffic on the way to the DO tomorrow to get the packet they wanted today!!!