ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New walk

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

New walk

Post by Clared »

Hi
Currently been at RM now for 19 weeks & been on the same walk since I joined. (Become bored with that route now I have say)
Next week when I'm back off from annual leave I start on a new walk.
Can anyone give me advice will I be dropped in it big style or am I going to be helped out with where I am suppose to be going ?
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

New walk

Post by Chewster »

Isn't it supposed to be three days of training on a new round?
BillySixFingers
Posts: 5
Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 06:59
Gender: Male

New walk

Post by BillySixFingers »

Chewster wrote:Isn't it supposed to be three days of training on a new round?
Not with me, i got training on the 1st day, day 2 i was alone with 3/4 of the walk then day 3 onwards i was doing the full walk on my own. I was also doing from day 3 onwards (as a part timer) tying down my bundles, prepping the D2Ds, the redirections and sorting out the parcels. I was always one of the last to leave the office because most of the other guys had a head start on me. The training is piss poor.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

New walk

Post by wacko74 »

3 days is only normal for rurals in my experience, residential/town duties usually only get 1 day, or none if it's a P&L.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

New walk

Post by postslippete »

Apparently, some of our occasional agency workers have had no training at all!! I feel sorry for them. The job may not be rocket science but how on earth do Royal Mail expect the quality of service to improve without giving them a PDA to use ??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

New walk

Post by Judgee »

Used to be 3 days. Now it's none as your P & L partner is supposed to guide you. That's one of the reasons they came up with the scheme!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

New walk

Post by salomon2 »

Same with us, no training on town rounds. What I've done is checked the frame the day before, write down the roads and driven round. Failing that download a google map and you've always got your phone as back up. The first time I do it as per frame, number the bundles and keep the parcels with the bundles or turn over a letter. Always been fine with a bit of prep, saves wasting time on the first day.
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

New walk

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

New walk

Post by Clared »

Thanks for the advice. I've had my last colleague to messaged me the route I will be put on so I will be doing a bit of homework while I'm off. I don't know the area that well either which doesn't help matters but lets hope I work with someone that will help me out. At the end of the day if they don't we will be out there a long longer than they want to be
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

New walk

Post by cpsteve »

You are given two or three days off the sorting on new walks.
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

New walk

Post by Clared »

cpsteve wrote:You are given two or three days off the sorting on new walks.
Would that apply to PT (24hours) contract too ? I currently work 30 hours at the minute to work along side my collegue but that may change when I go back down to 24 hours......