ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Un equal treatment or not?!
-
Steve32ford
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
Hi
I have a query and any advice would be appreciated!
Firstly I love my job!!
I started over a yr ago and was trained on a round that no one likes or wants to do, it seems that I ve been left to rot on this round as I always complete it and leave it clear for the next day! Whilst it's nice to have a regular round and punters I m getting very down about the fact that all the other reserves seem to be getting shifted round and learning new walks even the new starters are moved more than I have! I ve asked numerous times to be moved around but the answers I get' is that your good on that round 'and 'you should be grateful that your on same walk' 'you always complete it and don t kick off' I don't want to rock the boat and 'kick off' but am feeling very down at the moment and don t know what to do!
I m happy ish to do the walk but am now faced with 3 of us on it over Christmas and it seems to me like I m being questioned of my capabilities on doing the 'problem' round but then having to organise everything and everyone on it! I feel so low and down/dis heartened with it all at the moment all I want is to be given a fair crack at learning more rounds!
At the moment I go in just wanting to go home asp (I don't mind the hours that it takes just that it seems so one sided,I go in keep myself to myself as of late with my music for company as it's my way of coping I guess,I was happy when I started and it was a challenge but as of late it's become just another job and I feel like everyone is laughing at me for being the next victim/mug lumbered with the round hence head down and keep plodding!!
Can anyone give me some advice on what to say or do please!!
I have a query and any advice would be appreciated!
Firstly I love my job!!
I started over a yr ago and was trained on a round that no one likes or wants to do, it seems that I ve been left to rot on this round as I always complete it and leave it clear for the next day! Whilst it's nice to have a regular round and punters I m getting very down about the fact that all the other reserves seem to be getting shifted round and learning new walks even the new starters are moved more than I have! I ve asked numerous times to be moved around but the answers I get' is that your good on that round 'and 'you should be grateful that your on same walk' 'you always complete it and don t kick off' I don't want to rock the boat and 'kick off' but am feeling very down at the moment and don t know what to do!
I m happy ish to do the walk but am now faced with 3 of us on it over Christmas and it seems to me like I m being questioned of my capabilities on doing the 'problem' round but then having to organise everything and everyone on it! I feel so low and down/dis heartened with it all at the moment all I want is to be given a fair crack at learning more rounds!
At the moment I go in just wanting to go home asp (I don't mind the hours that it takes just that it seems so one sided,I go in keep myself to myself as of late with my music for company as it's my way of coping I guess,I was happy when I started and it was a challenge but as of late it's become just another job and I feel like everyone is laughing at me for being the next victim/mug lumbered with the round hence head down and keep plodding!!
Can anyone give me some advice on what to say or do please!!
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
Start cutting off. Then you stand a chance of being moved off it.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 75#p746984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
dennyboycox
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 29 Jun 2014, 21:12
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
yip for defs cut off every day
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
Very valid points made by Rehabron in this post. I would tend to look on the Bright Side. There's certainly more posts on here from Reserves who have been moved around different duties for years, and would just love to have a Permanent Duty which they could call their own!rehabron wrote:http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 75#p746984
You can obviously Cut Off as suggested but I'd just be careful that you don't shoot yourself in the foot. Imagine getting taken off this Duty only to find you don't like the others? Have you any experience of the other Duties or is it just that they "Appear easier?
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
Un equal treatment or not?!
I hate to say it but since starting over 2 years ago and being on the same round for 6 months I then started leaning more rounds and it's not always greener. There is something irritating about most rounds. Is there a way of making your round work better, if you can see how to improve it then make the suggestion. At least you know the people on your round, when you get moved about you're lucky to know where the nearest loo is let alone the route!
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
Its Royal Mail management's way of solving problems. There is a huge round that nobody wants, so they put the quickest guy on it, and hey presto....problem solved!!
Surely, its better than the fear of the unknown. Or are you secretly thrilled at the prospect of working with random posties on random duties with random day's off every week?? The grass may not always be greener methinks.
Surely, its better than the fear of the unknown. Or are you secretly thrilled at the prospect of working with random posties on random duties with random day's off every week?? The grass may not always be greener methinks.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
Unequal treatment is rife in RM. Managers couldn't give a s##t if a member of staff is unhappy as long as the mail keeps on getting delivered. 
-
Steve32ford
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
Firstly Thanks for all your comments!
I don t really know how /or the right answers!
I take pride in my work and I know cutting off is an option but having never done this/don t know how this works (apart from getting managers back up and leaving you more to deliver the next day!) Its not a route I really want to go down and I really still take pride in making sure all the mail/packets have been received by customers each day whether there tracked or not,I know I d like to receive something I ordered asp so look at it like that I guess!
I have asked to be moved around a bit numerous times and manager has said he ll give me a break from this duty but I have had a day or two on another walk then a week on another I just find it so frustrating as I want to learn them all!! Just scared that I m falling behind everyone else on knowing different areas as I m know to be quick and always clear this 'problem' walk! I actually don t mind the area and still find it a challenge to complete it but always gonna be over cause of size/packet heavy!
I know not all rounds are equal/nice and the grass is nt always 'greeener' but I d like to try some!
A resign if it ever happens ,been going on for 8 months+ now I have complemented signing for this duty as I know it(must be mad!) would just like to know a bit more I guess
I think if I was left alone to do round /had a regular co worker on it may help a bit as you can get a working partnership /know each other's walking speeds/try to split round to balance it so everything can go out etc !
I ve worked my nuts off on round all yr and got to know a lot of customers which is nice but am not looking forward to trying to manage another person that's gonna be put on for Christmas (I had a plan in my head and wanted to try it out as it was my first Christmas on it last yr and was still learning ropes!)very worried that I ll drop one as trying to organise others work load and may take my eye off the ball
I just don t know what to do or say or who to approach with my concerns
I ve been struggling with a few things at wk and outside of wk and am finding it difficult enough to concentrate on what I m doing which probably does nt help
Any advice is very helpful and I appreciate any comments
I don t really know how /or the right answers!
I take pride in my work and I know cutting off is an option but having never done this/don t know how this works (apart from getting managers back up and leaving you more to deliver the next day!) Its not a route I really want to go down and I really still take pride in making sure all the mail/packets have been received by customers each day whether there tracked or not,I know I d like to receive something I ordered asp so look at it like that I guess!
I have asked to be moved around a bit numerous times and manager has said he ll give me a break from this duty but I have had a day or two on another walk then a week on another I just find it so frustrating as I want to learn them all!! Just scared that I m falling behind everyone else on knowing different areas as I m know to be quick and always clear this 'problem' walk! I actually don t mind the area and still find it a challenge to complete it but always gonna be over cause of size/packet heavy!
I know not all rounds are equal/nice and the grass is nt always 'greeener' but I d like to try some!
A resign if it ever happens ,been going on for 8 months+ now I have complemented signing for this duty as I know it(must be mad!) would just like to know a bit more I guess
I think if I was left alone to do round /had a regular co worker on it may help a bit as you can get a working partnership /know each other's walking speeds/try to split round to balance it so everything can go out etc !
I ve worked my nuts off on round all yr and got to know a lot of customers which is nice but am not looking forward to trying to manage another person that's gonna be put on for Christmas (I had a plan in my head and wanted to try it out as it was my first Christmas on it last yr and was still learning ropes!)very worried that I ll drop one as trying to organise others work load and may take my eye off the ball
I just don t know what to do or say or who to approach with my concerns
I ve been struggling with a few things at wk and outside of wk and am finding it difficult enough to concentrate on what I m doing which probably does nt help
Any advice is very helpful and I appreciate any comments
-
Steve32ford
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
Sorry it's such a long post!
Guess I may be happier if I had a constant working buddy and was just left alone to do walk instead of what seems to me being constantly questioned ,on how long it took,to many different people prepping it etc especially as I m never with a constant partner (it's always been clear since I ve been on it!) I take pride in that still and am a bit miffed I guess that I ve inherited the full timers role and all responsibilities on round with no appreciation of efforts I do enjoy the challenge but just seems that it's been a case of he ll do it
Guess I may be happier if I had a constant working buddy and was just left alone to do walk instead of what seems to me being constantly questioned ,on how long it took,to many different people prepping it etc especially as I m never with a constant partner (it's always been clear since I ve been on it!) I take pride in that still and am a bit miffed I guess that I ve inherited the full timers role and all responsibilities on round with no appreciation of efforts I do enjoy the challenge but just seems that it's been a case of he ll do it
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
It sounds to me you are just the sort of postie the R/M should be looking after keep up the good work. You must inform the manager with your rep that you are having problems and long term the workload needs addressing as it is affecting your health.
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
The less rounds you know in Royal Mail the better, trust me 
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
Sounds to me like you are sick of being on the same huge ass round week in week out, and you're thinking about it too much when delivering? Trust me we've all been there!
My advice would be to slow down, take your time and enjoy it more, either claiming overtime to complete the round or cutting off. Yes it will upset the manager but you'll feel much better knowing you're not under so much pressure to complete on time when it's impossible to anyway. And don't worry too much about leaving stuff in the frame for it not to be delivered when cutting off - thats for management to worry about!
Don't worry about falling behind others by not learning new rounds, we are all doing the same job just in different places! No one is considered better that the other for knowing more rounds.
My advice would be to slow down, take your time and enjoy it more, either claiming overtime to complete the round or cutting off. Yes it will upset the manager but you'll feel much better knowing you're not under so much pressure to complete on time when it's impossible to anyway. And don't worry too much about leaving stuff in the frame for it not to be delivered when cutting off - thats for management to worry about!
Don't worry about falling behind others by not learning new rounds, we are all doing the same job just in different places! No one is considered better that the other for knowing more rounds.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
Honestly stay with what you know. You stand a good chance of getting good tips at Xmas being the regular postie.
Once they start moving you from duty to duty you'll soon wish you were back on your old round. I've had to part-prep 3 rounds before management decided what I was doing that day, you really want that?

Once they start moving you from duty to duty you'll soon wish you were back on your old round. I've had to part-prep 3 rounds before management decided what I was doing that day, you really want that?
-
Steve32ford
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
- Gender: Male
Un equal treatment or not?!
Thanks for all the comments and advice
Two things I vowed not to do is 'cut off' and not let this round claim yet another victim by beating me! (Although seem to be the laughing stock of depot for my efforts with one of the worst rounds!)
I really enjoy job and wish I d joined up years ago!
I ve been thinking of requesting a transfer to another depot just to get away from it! Better the devil you know I guess! The tips on the round are crap at best got £40 last year and partner who d been on it for three + yrs ended up with about £100 (better than nothing I know) I don t do it for the tips (although it's appreciated) just wanna be left to do round without having the stress of an extra person to 'help out' i had a plan in my head for Christmas but seems to be falling on deaf ears! Spoke to manager this morning as the persons posted on it at moment seem to be on a pootle round no rush and I end up taking nail off them to try to keep o/t down
I guess I still/just care to much about it
Two things I vowed not to do is 'cut off' and not let this round claim yet another victim by beating me! (Although seem to be the laughing stock of depot for my efforts with one of the worst rounds!)
I really enjoy job and wish I d joined up years ago!
I ve been thinking of requesting a transfer to another depot just to get away from it! Better the devil you know I guess! The tips on the round are crap at best got £40 last year and partner who d been on it for three + yrs ended up with about £100 (better than nothing I know) I don t do it for the tips (although it's appreciated) just wanna be left to do round without having the stress of an extra person to 'help out' i had a plan in my head for Christmas but seems to be falling on deaf ears! Spoke to manager this morning as the persons posted on it at moment seem to be on a pootle round no rush and I end up taking nail off them to try to keep o/t down
I guess I still/just care to much about it