ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
What shoes / boots to buy?
-
mattandbenny
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 14 Jan 2015, 13:44
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
So i start work in 3 weeks having never been a postman before. What boots does everyone have?
I was recently on a travelling holiday and wore trainers every day which were extremely comfy and i was fine walking about all day in them, however my feet would get soaking when it rains. Was considering wearing trainers & buying some waterproof socks to go with them, though if i'm walking 10-15 miles i day i don't know how long the socks would last (they're expensive - looking at £20 a pair). Either that or buy some rubber overshoes for the trainers, though don't know how well that would work.
Other option seems to buy some good (waterproof) walking boots. Though i have never had walking boots before and am a bit wary about how comfy they would be.
What does everyone here do for footwear?
Also - do RM do any sort of allowance for footwear, or have you got to pay for it all yourself?
I was recently on a travelling holiday and wore trainers every day which were extremely comfy and i was fine walking about all day in them, however my feet would get soaking when it rains. Was considering wearing trainers & buying some waterproof socks to go with them, though if i'm walking 10-15 miles i day i don't know how long the socks would last (they're expensive - looking at £20 a pair). Either that or buy some rubber overshoes for the trainers, though don't know how well that would work.
Other option seems to buy some good (waterproof) walking boots. Though i have never had walking boots before and am a bit wary about how comfy they would be.
What does everyone here do for footwear?
Also - do RM do any sort of allowance for footwear, or have you got to pay for it all yourself?
-
Daniel-san
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 17:51
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
Royal mail issue uniform mate, not sure if you have to be here for so long or can order straight away ask your manager as soon as you arrive, for the first week or so just wear something comfy.mattandbenny wrote:So i start work in 3 weeks having never been a postman before. What boots does everyone have?
I was recently on a travelling holiday and wore trainers every day which were extremely comfy and i was fine walking about all day in them, however my feet would get soaking when it rains. Was considering wearing trainers & buying some waterproof socks to go with them, though if i'm walking 10-15 miles i day i don't know how long the socks would last (they're expensive - looking at £20 a pair). Either that or buy some rubber overshoes for the trainers, though don't know how well that would work.
Other option seems to buy some good (waterproof) walking boots. Though i have never had walking boots before and am a bit wary about how comfy they would be.
What does everyone here do for footwear?
Also - do RM do any sort of allowance for footwear, or have you got to pay for it all yourself?
Good luck
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
In my experience socks are almost as important as the shoes. If you're feet slide about whatsoever in your boot/trainers then you're feet will get covered in blisters. For me high cotton work socks or sports socks do the trick. Might be better investing in walking shoes as you'll be surprised how quick trainers will fall to pieces. But take spare pair of trainers in your bag till you're feet get used to the boots. They usually issue shoes quite quickly for h&s reasons though.
-
pinstripe
- Posts: 2474
- Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
- Gender: Male
- Location: 2 left turns from reality
What shoes / boots to buy?
You do get issued with shoes and boots.
Order them as soon as you start. I think you can choose between Magnum, Caterpiller and Doc Martins on boots, and Anvil and YDS on trainers
As with everything else, some are better than others. We all have our own preference
https://www.myroyalmail.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click on Uniform Brochure and you'll see what is issued uniform wise, although shoes and boots are not listed for some reason or other.
Until your shoes and boots arrive you can wear what you like, but comfort should be the top priority.
Order them as soon as you start. I think you can choose between Magnum, Caterpiller and Doc Martins on boots, and Anvil and YDS on trainers
As with everything else, some are better than others. We all have our own preference
https://www.myroyalmail.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click on Uniform Brochure and you'll see what is issued uniform wise, although shoes and boots are not listed for some reason or other.
Until your shoes and boots arrive you can wear what you like, but comfort should be the top priority.
-
mondeo1
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 08:00
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
magnum boots for me,last on average 3-4 months{rural postman}very easy to wear in,quite comfy also 
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
What shoes / boots to buy?
Get a pair of these to start with https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Bodmi ... th=1&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
Just search the forum for threads on footwear. It's an old chestnut that's always been discussed. I've had a lot of problems with my feet over the last couple of years (strangely ever since they took the push bikes off us).
Personally I prefer the YDS trainers. They're just like a heavy duty trainer with a thick toecap, ideal to protect your tootsies when kicking kerbs and doorsteps! AND I find them pretty waterproof which was a surprise.
Just waiting to try the new Doc Martin Ankle boots........ Has anyone managed to get a pair yet. Uniform helpline just keep telling me they've never heard of them!
Personally I prefer the YDS trainers. They're just like a heavy duty trainer with a thick toecap, ideal to protect your tootsies when kicking kerbs and doorsteps! AND I find them pretty waterproof which was a surprise.
Just waiting to try the new Doc Martin Ankle boots........ Has anyone managed to get a pair yet. Uniform helpline just keep telling me they've never heard of them!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
Officially, your manager won't like it if you wear your own footwear, but he's usually got bigger fish to fry and will probably turn a blind eye to your trainers as long as they are demure, either black or dark greyish. To keep your feet dry, try wearing large-ish polythene food bags over your socks, and secure them with an elastic band 
-
Pathfinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 208
- Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
Like others have said you'll be suprised how long or not long they last.
When I started I invested in a pair of north face gore tex walking shoes, they're very comfy and waterproof but come at a price (£90). They lasted just under 6 months @8-13 miles per day.
Nowadays I use any old trainers as I don't think my feet care anymore
When I started I invested in a pair of north face gore tex walking shoes, they're very comfy and waterproof but come at a price (£90). They lasted just under 6 months @8-13 miles per day.
Nowadays I use any old trainers as I don't think my feet care anymore
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
Personally I buy Reebok Goretex trainers, usually get pretty good discounts on the reebok website, much lighter and more comfortable than the crap RM give you, My knee's kill me after a week in RM shoes...I guess that's why they're called Anvil's....the YDS aren't any better imo either.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
I like the Magnum boots (mine are steel toecap too, good for naughty dogs), but I've got a pair of cheap walking/hiking boots I got in Aldi on standby and they're actually not bad at all, not bad for 11 quid anyway
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
Ever kicked a dog? Don't they just move out of the way? Personally, if I got attacked, I was going to stab them with my pen.Chewster wrote:I like the Magnum boots (mine are steel toecap too, good for naughty dogs), but I've got a pair of cheap walking/hiking boots I got in Aldi on standby and they're actually not bad at all, not bad for 11 quid anyway
Last edited by woopesh on 25 Oct 2016, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
I'd buy something cheap from Sports Direct. I got the Karrimoor shoes that DB1100 mentioned earlier. They lasted 6 months, were comfortable and waterproof. I don't get on with RoyalMail issue shoes.
You are right to buy decent shoes first. I know someone who has been a postie for a year and he still hasn't got his uniform. It took 4 months before I got mine.
I tried my hiking boots, but they were are too hardcore for an urban postal route. Approach shoes would be perfect if you have the budget. For some reason Sports Directs shoes work for me. They have a variety of work shoes and walking shoes that might work for you too. I would never wear anything from Sports Direct on a proper hike however.
I found trainers got shot to buggery really quickly. They arent designed to support someone pushing a 150kg trolley uphill. I also kept stubbing my toes in them. A miss step whilst sorting a bundle in a hiking shoe is a minor bump... in a pair of trainers they can be expletive renderingly painful.
You are right to buy decent shoes first. I know someone who has been a postie for a year and he still hasn't got his uniform. It took 4 months before I got mine.
I tried my hiking boots, but they were are too hardcore for an urban postal route. Approach shoes would be perfect if you have the budget. For some reason Sports Directs shoes work for me. They have a variety of work shoes and walking shoes that might work for you too. I would never wear anything from Sports Direct on a proper hike however.
I found trainers got shot to buggery really quickly. They arent designed to support someone pushing a 150kg trolley uphill. I also kept stubbing my toes in them. A miss step whilst sorting a bundle in a hiking shoe is a minor bump... in a pair of trainers they can be expletive renderingly painful.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
What shoes / boots to buy?
I haven't actually. The only action the steelies actually get is booting stubborn gateswoopesh wrote:Ever kicked a dog? Don't they just move out of the way? Personally, I was just going to stab them with my pen.Chewster wrote:I like the Magnum boots (mine are steel toecap too, good for naughty dogs), but I've got a pair of cheap walking/hiking boots I got in Aldi on standby and they're actually not bad at all, not bad for 11 quid anyway
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
What shoes / boots to buy?
CAT boots very good
Last edited by twoloops on 10 Apr 2018, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.