ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Longs and shorts

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Tank
Posts: 206
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
Gender: Male

Longs and shorts

Post by Tank »

They want to change the office hours to the following Monday 7- 14.30, (7.30hr)
Tuesday 7-13.54(6.54)
Wednesday 7-15.40(8.40)
Thursday 7-15.20(8.20)
Friday 7-14.54(7.54)
Saturday 7-14.30(7.30).

It works out at 39. Hrs over 6 weeks but can they just change your hours or do we need members approval? A lot have children to pick up from school etc our current latest finish is 14.45 so that's fine at the mo. All we get from the management is use after school club!! Are they gonna pay? No! It's going with the unions backing!
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Longs and shorts

Post by daveyeff »

yes they can. but I'm sure you have to be given 28 days notice. its going to happen nationwide before long. 9-5 beckons.
Tank
Posts: 206
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
Gender: Male

Longs and shorts

Post by Tank »

They did say it will be 9-5 within 5-10 years ! But at least I could do the morning school run! Can they make you do more than 7.48hrs in any one day? Could. Open with 7-14.48 but the Wednesday and Thursdays are silly long day!
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Longs and shorts

Post by daveyeff »

yes. I know we used to work 8hrs 52mins a day but we worked 3 weeks on and a week off. and also 9 day fortnights but they put the block on that due to resourcing problems (more probably, because we loved the shifts). there was also a couple of posties on 3x 10 hr and 1x 9 hrs as well. but not any more. our rep reckons the can adjust your contracted hours to suit them as long as its not less or more than your total contracted hours. i.e. 8.50 x 3 and 6.15 x 2.....it totals 39 hrs. and that's what you are contracted for if you are full time. so they are not breaking any rules.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Longs and shorts

Post by k979aaa »

Tank wrote:They did say it will be 9-5 within 5-10 years ! But at least I could do the morning school run! Can they make you do more than 7.48hrs in any one day? Could. Open with 7-14.48 but the Wednesday and Thursdays are silly long day!
They can and it does happen where we work but don't bother asking as I will not be saying even with a PM.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Longs and shorts

Post by rambo1 »

Don't forget your paid meal relief is 40 mins over 7 hrs and 50 mins over 9 hrs, so if you go over by much on the new short and long days your gonna be entitled to an extra 10 mins on top of what is scheduled in the duty hrs. The whole businesses is tailored to resource to workload now. I bet there's no time for work time learning any more though. One plus I guess lol.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Longs and shorts

Post by Dorset Plodder »

This job has changed again and again, over the years. And it's going to keep on changing. The bottom line is If you aren't happy with the new T&Cs you're going to have to look for a new job! :hmmmm

It may not be ideal but I don't think Royal Mail are likely to change their plans just because they upset us? They way I look at is: The works there and they're willing to pay me to do it. IF I'm not happy with the timings or the type of work I've got to do...then I'll have to find myself another job that I am happy with. I know that's not as easy as it sounds, but that's what it boils down to. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Longs and shorts

Post by cpsteve »

While its a pain you can understand the need to adjust hours to a degree. I am working to my time give or take fifteen mins most days Tuesday is normally thirty mins early and go over by forty to sixty mins Wednesdays if the hours are adjusted so I have no take then I might as well not give and bring back work not something I like to do as I value the job we do.