ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Jury Service

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Jury Service

Post by 19times »

Alright peeps, few questions regards this If anyone knows.

I have been selected to take part :nervous and it's in December!

Anyone know the process? Will I still get paid and will I lose my Xmas bonus??

No tips this year now :cry
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Jury Service

Post by aiden01 »

19times wrote:Alright peeps, few questions regards this If anyone knows.

I have been selected to take part :nervous and it's in December!

Anyone know the process? Will I still get paid and will I lose my Xmas bonus??

No tips this year now :cry
defo will be paid and xmas bonus as for tips hope your not depending on them :sad: :sad:
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Jury Service

Post by 19times »

aiden01 wrote:
19times wrote:Alright peeps, few questions regards this If anyone knows.

I have been selected to take part :nervous and it's in December!

Anyone know the process? Will I still get paid and will I lose my Xmas bonus??

No tips this year now :cry
defo will be paid and xmas bonus as for tips hope your not depending on them :sad: :sad:
Cheers, never depend on tips but it's a nice small bonus of around £90.

Do I tell the Dom and he sorts it all out?
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Jury Service

Post by Chewster »

I started out on a round in the posh side of town, I made £200 in tips last year, plus chocolates (which didn't even make it till the end of the day) and beer :dance :dance :dance

As for getting your regular payment and stuff, I'm sure I recall the DOM saying that it's the courts that sort it all out? I'd chase all lines of enquiry quickly though, I remember another gent in our office finding it all a pain in the hole to sort out when he was called up to jury service
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Jury Service

Post by aiden01 »

19times wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
19times wrote:Alright peeps, few questions regards this If anyone knows.

I have been selected to take part :nervous and it's in December!

Anyone know the process? Will I still get paid and will I lose my Xmas bonus??

No tips this year now :cry
defo will be paid and xmas bonus as for tips hope your not depending on them :sad: :sad:
Cheers, never depend on tips but it's a nice small bonus of around £90.

Do I tell the Dom and he sorts it all out?
yes tell him and there shoul,nt be any problems or alternatively contact HR and they will guide you good luck.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Jury Service

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.myroyalmail.com/sites/defau ... y%20A4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jury service: Before your jury service starts, you will need to give your manager the notification of the
dates from the Court. As the Court won’t reimburse your loss of earnings until after your jury service, we
will pay you an average over the last 13 week period of your basic pay, assigned allowances and overtime.
This payment is a loan from Royal Mail, so that you are not out of pocket during jury service. Once you
receive your loss of earnings from the Court, you will need to repay Royal Mail the outstanding amount
(either as a one-off payment or as deductions from your pay). See the Jury Service Guide for details
If you ask your manager you may be able to ask for a temporary exemption because of the time of year, then they select you again later on.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Jury Service

Post by 19times »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:https://www.myroyalmail.com/sites/defau ... y%20A4.pdf
Jury service: Before your jury service starts, you will need to give your manager the notification of the
dates from the Court. As the Court won’t reimburse your loss of earnings until after your jury service, we
will pay you an average over the last 13 week period of your basic pay, assigned allowances and overtime.
This payment is a loan from Royal Mail, so that you are not out of pocket during jury service. Once you
receive your loss of earnings from the Court, you will need to repay Royal Mail the outstanding amount
(either as a one-off payment or as deductions from your pay). See the Jury Service Guide for details
If you ask your manager you may be able to ask for a temporary exemption because of the time of year, then they select you again later on.
Thanks for that, never knew you could duck out of it thought it was compulsory.

I'll have a think as to what to do now.

Cheers all.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Jury Service

Post by crazyshrew »

19times wrote:
Thanks for that, never knew you could duck out of it thought it was compulsory.

I'll have a think as to what to do now.

Cheers all.
Steady on, there is no "ducking out" it is absolutely compulsoary. You can request to have it deferred if there are permissible circumstances and you can provide proof of it- i.e you're due to be in hospital, or your employer won't let you have time off work
When you ask for the deferral you have to provide dates of availability for the next 12 months so they can recall you.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Jury Service

Post by 19times »

crazyshrew wrote:
19times wrote:
Thanks for that, never knew you could duck out of it thought it was compulsory.

I'll have a think as to what to do now.

Cheers all.
Steady on, there is no "ducking out" it is absolutely compulsoary. You can request to have it deferred if there are permissible circumstances and you can provide proof of it- i.e you're due to be in hospital, or your employer won't let you have time off work
When you ask for the deferral you have to provide dates of availability for the next 12 months so they can recall you.
Wrong choice of words maybe there from me! Ducking out - replace with postpone!

I would have thought the Dim would like to not have me do it due to time of year where's I'm not fussed really as long as I get my full weekly pay which I still can't work out If I do :oops:

I'll ring HR or see the Dim Monday.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Jury Service

Post by Surreypostie »

I was once called for it and because of previous employment I was told I was not elligible and never called again. Something to do with being biased. If called again I would point out on my acceptance that I am still very biased due to previous employment and would love to come along and find a few people guilty and see them put away.
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

Jury Service

Post by olilew »

When I did mine I deferred it due to the birth of my first child. I was called again about 6 months later. I was put on a 6 week trial. If I got called in December I would jump at the chance! The busiest month of the year off? You bet I would!
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
answer=42
Posts: 64
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 07:44
Gender: Male

Jury Service

Post by answer=42 »

Just suggest you'll ask for a tip or two from the defendants side.........................you'd be back on your duty pdq
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Jury Service

Post by ebbzie »

I was called up a few years ago but had a holiday booked , it was no problem they just postponed it and i was called up about a month later
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Jury Service

Post by toomuchcoke »

answer=42 wrote:Just suggest you'll ask for a tip or two from the defendants side.........................you'd be back on your duty pdq
Now that's clearly not thinking in a proper privatised mind set ... Clearly you should solicit bids from both sides, and go with the one that offers the best value?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Jury Service

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

answer=42 wrote:Just suggest you'll ask for a tip or two from the defendants side.........................you'd be back on your duty pdq
:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

After an undetermined period in a small room with en-suite toilet and bars. :left: :left: :left:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.