ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Dealing with irate customers.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
Posted a D2D today. A few seconds later a man stormed out of the door.
"What bit about the NO JUNK MAIL sign do you not understand?"
"We are instructed to deliver them. If you have a complaint you can call..."
"Im not calling a f***ing number... you can take that back... Don't f***ing post that s**t through my door again, or I'll have you for trespassing."
Slams the post down and storms off.
What are you supposed to do in this situation? Are you supposed to report customers like him? How much s**t are you supposed to take? If I wasn't in uniform with a job at stake I would have ignored him totally and walked off. You obviously have to be a bit loony to get that off kilter about a leaflet so I never engage with these sorts of people. Could I be pulled up by a DOM if I did this to a customer and they complained?
"What bit about the NO JUNK MAIL sign do you not understand?"
"We are instructed to deliver them. If you have a complaint you can call..."
"Im not calling a f***ing number... you can take that back... Don't f***ing post that s**t through my door again, or I'll have you for trespassing."
Slams the post down and storms off.
What are you supposed to do in this situation? Are you supposed to report customers like him? How much s**t are you supposed to take? If I wasn't in uniform with a job at stake I would have ignored him totally and walked off. You obviously have to be a bit loony to get that off kilter about a leaflet so I never engage with these sorts of people. Could I be pulled up by a DOM if I did this to a customer and they complained?
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
Yes youre supposed to report it, its abusive behaviour, and I would report it, who knows what piece of mail you may deliver in the future that isnt an actual D2D but an addressed item that looks like a D2D item - items such as TalkTalk letters that can look very much like unaddressed mail, seeing as the guy seems unstable then theres a chance he may come out again when he gets an item like this, make sure your managers are aware and make them aware if you felt threatened for your safety.
The guy is clearly an idiot, he would have a hard time "having you" for trespassing considering youre Royal Mail.
What he could do is deny you future access to his property, which im sure would be fine with you as youd have a delivery point less, but im sure he doesnt really want that as it would mean collecting his mail from the DO. If your manager had any balls hed pay him a visit informing him that RM is going to honour his request and not "trespass" on his property anymore.
"Could I be pulled up by a DOM if I did this to a customer and they complained?" youre allowed to take reasonable action to defend yourself, shouting back at the guy wouldnt be acceptable as your safety wouldnt be in danger from a verbal attack.
The guy is clearly an idiot, he would have a hard time "having you" for trespassing considering youre Royal Mail.
What he could do is deny you future access to his property, which im sure would be fine with you as youd have a delivery point less, but im sure he doesnt really want that as it would mean collecting his mail from the DO. If your manager had any balls hed pay him a visit informing him that RM is going to honour his request and not "trespass" on his property anymore.
"Could I be pulled up by a DOM if I did this to a customer and they complained?" youre allowed to take reasonable action to defend yourself, shouting back at the guy wouldnt be acceptable as your safety wouldnt be in danger from a verbal attack.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
There was was an addressed leaflet with a name on it as well as the D2D. I killed it off as "refused". Will tell the DOM tomorrow.Postie45 wrote:Yes youre supposed to report it, its abusive behaviour, and I would report it, who knows what piece of mail you may deliver in the future that isnt an actual D2D but an addressed item that looks like a D2D item - items such as TalkTalk letters that can look very much like unaddressed mail, seeing as the guy seems unstable then theres a chance he may come out again when he gets an item like this, make sure your managers are aware and make them aware if you felt threatened for your safety. The guy is clearly an idiot, he would have a hard time "having you" for trespassing considering youre Royal Mail. What he could do is deny you future access to his property, which im sure would be fine with you as youd have a delivery point less, but im sure he doesnt really want that as it would mean collecting his mail from the DO.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
oh even better, hes basically told you to not deliver to him any longer seeing as you have no right to pick and choose what mail looks important enough for you deliver to him.
-
blisterfeet
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 18:48
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
Someone said a similar thing to me a few years ago, they said they were going to phone up the office and complain. I said please do, at least then my manager will know I'm doing my job properly and delivering the D2D's.
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
It always seems to be people with a lot of time on their hands who become apoplectic at the sight of a leaflet coming through the letterbox. So just avoid duties with lots of retirees and unemployed folk. 
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
There's one guy like that on one of my duties too. He's been clever and has an official opt out for d2ds, fine by me, but he'll come out with addressed bits of junk and moan about it, in the past he's gone as far as to physically shove it in the postie's pocket! I've even seen his bits of junk in a post box I collect from, a fair distance from his house, with "RETURN TO SENDER" written all over it. Just chuck it in the bin mate christ almighty! Nobody likes receiving junk in the post, but why can people not realise that as long as their name and address is on it, then it's mail just the same as a birthday card? Is moaning at the posties really worth all the effort when all you need to do is drop the few pieces of paper into your recycle bin 
-
stan_lers
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
You can't be 'done for trespass', it's not a criminal offence.
You should tell your manager, who might send a letter or go and speak to them, but I doubt anything would happen in the end, unless it continued to happen. I got bit by a dog twice on my old walk, and management just kept going up and telling him if it happened again we wouldn't deliver there, but I was moved to another walk before it could happen a 3rd time.
Seems the company will do anything to keep a delivery point, even though they get paid whether it's delivered to their door, to the DO for them to pick up, or killed off.
You should tell your manager, who might send a letter or go and speak to them, but I doubt anything would happen in the end, unless it continued to happen. I got bit by a dog twice on my old walk, and management just kept going up and telling him if it happened again we wouldn't deliver there, but I was moved to another walk before it could happen a 3rd time.
Seems the company will do anything to keep a delivery point, even though they get paid whether it's delivered to their door, to the DO for them to pick up, or killed off.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
Tell your manager you will not deliver D2Ds at the address as it puts you at risk he/she should have no problem with that.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
We all suffer from the "Bored OAP" syndrome!
Don't let it stress you out. You'll get your own back on him. They'll be that occasion when he's got an important parcel (that you could have done him a favour with and put it in a safe place) and guess what? He'll be coming to the Office to collect it, after you've 739d him!
Then he'll probably launch off at the PHG about "Stupid Bloody Posties not using their initiative and leaving the parcel"!
Then he'll probably launch off at the PHG about "Stupid Bloody Posties not using their initiative and leaving the parcel"!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
I was in the same situation a few years ago, tried explaining that you can request to opt out of receiving door to door items but he wasn't having any of it and said "No, there should be an opt in!" 
-
Drloomis
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 15 Nov 2015, 18:31
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
I'm with you on this; be patient, bide your time, and revenge will be yours!Dorset Plodder wrote:We all suffer from the "Bored OAP" syndrome!Don't let it stress you out. You'll get your own back on him. They'll be that occasion when he's got an important parcel (that you could have done him a favour with and put it in a safe place) and guess what? He'll be coming to the Office to collect it, after you've 739d him!
![]()
Then he'll probably launch off at the PHG about "Stupid Bloody Posties not using their initiative and leaving the parcel"!
-
ThatsNotPlumb
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
Had a few people come out looking to hand me back door to doors, never one full blown shouting or screaming the odds but a few coming out shaking their heads trying to hand me them back to which I refuse. I tell them I don't care if you put them straight into the bin with me watching, but they must be delivered.
All I ever say to them is unless you actually take the steps & opt out of receiving them you will continue to receive them as they have to be delivered.
All I ever say to them is unless you actually take the steps & opt out of receiving them you will continue to receive them as they have to be delivered.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Dealing with irate customers.
A few years ago I had one resident go ape at me over D2Ds. When he calmed down I advised him of the opt out. They didn't want to go down this route so I said. "Ok mate they'll still get delivered. Even if you shout at me, I've got sore ears and a job. If by boss found out I wasn't delivering them, then I won't have a job - which option would you chose". They still haven't opted out, but at least they don't complain at me anymore.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Burgh
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 09 Jul 2013, 13:41
- Gender: Male
Dealing with irate customers.
If he didn't want to opt out of D2D.you should of said he can collect his mail from the sorting office and not put into his door every day..They soon change there mind.we are giving them a FREE service.altho it is bills.woopesh wrote:Posted a D2D today. A few seconds later a man stormed out of the door.
"What bit about the NO JUNK MAIL sign do you not understand?"
"We are instructed to deliver them. If you have a complaint you can call..."
"Im not calling a f***ing number... you can take that back... Don't f***ing post that s**t through my door again, or I'll have you for trespassing."
Slams the post down and storms off.
What are you supposed to do in this situation? Are you supposed to report customers like him? How much s**t are you supposed to take? If I wasn't in uniform with a job at stake I would have ignored him totally and walked off. You obviously have to be a bit loony to get that off kilter about a leaflet so I never engage with these sorts of people. Could I be pulled up by a DOM if I did this to a customer and they complained?