ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
-
telithowitis
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Real Heavy rain today for the first time since my RM "storm proof" jacket was issued. Well it failed the test within 5 minutes with water pouring through the fabric of the jacket in the back section and arms and I was drenched through.
Has anyone else had this problem or do I have a defective jacket that needs to go back?
Has anyone else had this problem or do I have a defective jacket that needs to go back?
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
They are storm proof only if the storm you happen to be in contains no rain. They are warm and keep the wind off you but anything more than a brief shower means you're carrying around a couple of kilos of rainwater on your shoulders.
I spent time and money on various products to give the RM 'stormproof' a waterproof treatment for the first couple of years, but just didn't bother after the second winter.
Utter rubbish in my opinion and I've bought a proper rainproof coat that is actually rainproof. A red Montane jacket, had it 2 years now and it's still good.
I spent time and money on various products to give the RM 'stormproof' a waterproof treatment for the first couple of years, but just didn't bother after the second winter.
Utter rubbish in my opinion and I've bought a proper rainproof coat that is actually rainproof. A red Montane jacket, had it 2 years now and it's still good.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Mine faired pretty well today. Kept me dry in heavy rain. Was issued about 3 years ago. Whether they've changed the materials since then I don't know.
What helps is keeping it clean, so the water runs off instead of getting trapped in the dirt. And wash it using Nikwax tech wash.
What helps is keeping it clean, so the water runs off instead of getting trapped in the dirt. And wash it using Nikwax tech wash.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
They're absolutely useless, I was doing a very rural duty where I probably spend 75% of my time actually driving and yet even in my brief time outside in only moderate rain the stormproof completely failed and my back and shoulders were soaked.
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Getting wet on delivery... and then getting home to a nice warm house and a small sherry (knowing you've done a sterling job delivering the Queen's Mail) is one of the joys of being a postman (or postwoman)
What concerns me more is being given unmanageable workloads on a regular basis ? ? ?
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Some of them are defective ... The person I was working with yesterday has one that's totally non-waterproof (they where wearing their own waterproof jacket underneath it!), whereas mine is about 1.5 years old and doesn't leak at all. The one I had before it was 3.5 years when I replaced it, and it was still waterproof at that point it was the zip that had broken beyond all repair. See your manager about getting a replacement.telithowitis wrote:Real Heavy rain today for the first time since my RM "storm proof" jacket was issued. Well it failed the test within 5 minutes with water pouring through the fabric of the jacket in the back section and arms and I was drenched through.
Has anyone else had this problem or do I have a defective jacket that needs to go back?
I seem to recall people saying the old storm proof (the half-orange/half-blue one) wasn't waterproof either, but mine lasted 5.5 years and never leaked. I suspect that the quality control isn't what it should be, and that the RM really isn't taking any steps to deal with this. (OTOH, I can also see that there will be Posties not reporting the problems to their manager (like my colleague above) and also managers not reporting the problems onwards too so it's entirely possible that the RM has false picture of what things are like.)
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Not forgetting that the jackets make you sweat so much that your arms get soaked whether the rain gets through it or not. Like most RM equipment it is totally unsuitable for the purpose they supply it for.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
telithowitis
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Thanks everyone think I'm going to try send mine back and see if I can get it replaced if that fails then I'll wear my own waterproof coat with a high vis vest on top. Not so bad this time of year but don't fancy being wet through in January.
On a positive note the leggings worked fine.
On a positive note the leggings worked fine.
-
mr hil.
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Don't forget that the Stormproof coats only have a working life of two years and will be replaced earlier by RM at your request if at anytime the uniform is not performing to specification. Under the old system you would get new uniform issued automatically but now you have to do it yourself. Many lads in my office could do with new stuff but they cannot be bothered to order any.
-
telithowitis
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Mine was the first time I have used it since issue. Don't mind working in the rain and cold but the right clothing is essential!!
-
tinkz
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 08 Mar 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
I wear mine under my fleece keeps me dry that way :D
-
Daniel-san
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 17:51
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Yep, They're absolute rubbish! like you say One heavy downpour and yer buggered.telithowitis wrote:Real Heavy rain today for the first time since my RM "storm proof" jacket was issued. Well it failed the test within 5 minutes with water pouring through the fabric of the jacket in the back section and arms and I was drenched through.
Has anyone else had this problem or do I have a defective jacket that needs to go back?
I also think they should issue waterproof trousers with bib n braces style, maybe with pocket in the bib bit for keeping p739 cards in as they get wet & unusable inside 'storm proof coats'
and of course the braces will stop them falling down and you having to walk all over the bottoms.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
I've heard about defective batches but it seems impossible that I owned 3 over the space of 3 years before I gave up on them and bought my own coat. I've also heard the comment that dirt stops the waterproofing, yet every one of mine was non-waterproof from brand new, except for a while after I had waterproofed it myself with nikwax products.
The day I got my third and last one it was brand new out of the packaging at 6am but 4hrs later I was carrying about 8kg of rain-filled cold sponge on my back, with a soggy fleece underneath. I only wear it now when it's cold dry weather forecast.
Maybe I was just unlucky with the batches I got. Rubbish quality control if that is the case though.
The day I got my third and last one it was brand new out of the packaging at 6am but 4hrs later I was carrying about 8kg of rain-filled cold sponge on my back, with a soggy fleece underneath. I only wear it now when it's cold dry weather forecast.
Maybe I was just unlucky with the batches I got. Rubbish quality control if that is the case though.
-
borgpicard
- Posts: 486
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
They are totally shite
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
wannabeek what sort of Montane jacket do you have? I'm watching one on ebay that says it's waterproof. My RM coat is useless. I don't mind paying £100 if it keeps me dry.