ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Saturday pda nightmare

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wazz
Posts: 59
Joined: 29 Dec 2011, 19:35
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by wazz »

So the new pda wouldn't let us log in 2day. It kept sayin not connected to server.

Then few a try's later it logged me in but not connected to server. I scan my download route like normal.

I go out on delivery.
I scan a few items. Then put pda back in my pocket. I took out my pda. It logged me out. I logged back in but not connected to server. This happened a few times today. It kept logging me out.

I return to office. And I tell my manager. He says loads people had this problem and it's a world wide issue.
He also said has long has you scanned every item. You will be fine.

Anyone eles had this problem today ?!?
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

A couple did in our office and I know a local office had to revert back to the old PDA 's as nobody could log in

Funnily enough mine worked perfectly
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by BeamishStout »

wazz wrote:So the new pda wouldn't let us log in 2day. It kept sayin not connected to server.

Then few a try's later it logged me in but not connected to server. I scan my download route like normal.

I go out on delivery.
I scan a few items. Then put pda back in my pocket. I took out my pda. It logged me out. I logged back in but not connected to server. This happened a few times today. It kept logging me out.

I return to office. And I tell my manager. He says loads people had this problem and it's a world wide issue.
He also said has long has you scanned every item. You will be fine.

Anyone eles had this problem today ?!?
Yes pretty much as you have described. Everyone (I spoke to) in our office had this prior to going out. Everything went OK from about 10.00 ish today. Funny how we get told to log on indoors but then get told to log on outdoors if problems occur indoors. :crazy:
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by Stormproof »

Very few were working in my office. Most of us went back to the old pen & paper that never let us down. Just told the manager that the box was cleared when I returned to the DO.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by steve1873 »

We were the same. Seemed random as to who and when we could log-in. I managed to scan all items bar one at beginning of delivery which I put on EPOD card - lo and behold I get home and what is in my pocket?

On annual leave next week as well, but I am not going in to hand over card until I am back a week on Monday - I will txt gaffer number and tell him it was delivered with signature.

As far as the "as long as you scanned every item you will be fine" line - if a knowntechnical glitch prevents items from being processed through the system properly, then in absolutely no way should the person delivering the items be held in any way responsible. Royal Mail will have to suck it up and pay compensation as and when required to customers and perhaps come up with a more robust fail safe. Cost of doing business and all that jazz!
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by glenfiddich »

We got told today we can't have a new PDA as the ee network can't cope with the amount of stuff we have to scan :d'oh!
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by ewancurze »

glenfiddich wrote:We got told today we can't have a new PDA as the ee network can't cope with the amount of stuff we have to scan :d'oh!
Same in our office,we should have had them in August,they have all arrived but we can't use them till the New Year at the earliest due to network capacity.The old ones just constantly keep suspending.......the replacements that the guy responsible for PDA's gets sent are just the same,he is getting a bit frustrated!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12191
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by SpacePhoenix »

ewancurze wrote:the replacements that the guy responsible for PDA's gets sent are just the same,he is getting a bit frustrated!
Intermec stoped making the CN3s a few years ago, any "replacements" will just be returns/cast offs frm other DOs
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by DirtyHarry »

glenfiddich wrote:We got told today we can't have a new PDA as the ee network can't cope with the amount of stuff we have to scan :d'oh!
Christmas will be fun,then.
charlie1
Posts: 51
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 15:28

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by charlie1 »

Same in our office, we will be using the old pda`s through this Christmas. We heard no large offices can be added for the new pda`s for now as Royal Mail fear the system will crash at its busiest time.
So after the business banging on about the new ones constantly for the what has seemed an eternity, then getting a weekly poster countdown displayed in office ( 5 weeks to go etc ) it seems we will not be getting them for now. The silence is deafening, no announcement in the rare work time learning sessions, no front page headline in the courier, no letter to my home, what a joke they are.
However they still have us attempting to scan the 2D barcodes, which I was told is a product under development. Our office even now displays the 2D scanning success rate. This is for the number you scanned (not successfully delivered). Really are we that bothered, no doubt it affects some top knobs bonus along the gravy train higher up though.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12191
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by SpacePhoenix »

charlie1 wrote:However they still have us attempting to scan the 2D barcodes, which I was told is a product under development.
Probably looking towards most if not all parcels having 2D barcodes on them
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by cpsteve »

Used new PDA no problems but some could not log in, there are not enough working old ones to go around so it could be a problem if we are told not to use the new ones.
charlie1
Posts: 51
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 15:28

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by charlie1 »

Yep no doubt they would like to track all parcels. However this 2D scanning is probably using capacity on our system, to the point where no more large offices can be added for now. Surely the new pda`s should have come in for all offices and get everyone up and running with them, before introducing this 2D barcode scanning.
It is possible our management will have to consider us dropping scanning the 2D barcodes throughout the Xmas period, as the sheer volume of scanning will mean the old pda`s we are still using will not have enough sustained battery life. They will not want to invest in new batteries with the new pda`s coming.
alwayskint
Posts: 21
Joined: 16 Oct 2010, 17:26
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by alwayskint »

The servers can't cope with all the information the new PDA s send.An almighty mess !! No wonder we're losing Amazon parcels.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by Postie45 »

alwayskint wrote:The servers can't cope with all the information the new PDA s send.An almighty mess !! No wonder we're losing Amazon parcels.
that really makes no sense when you think its just uploading a 9 or 10 digit string of letters and numbers