ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Quitting and back pay
-
postie12345
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Quitting and back pay
Hi all,
So I'm thinking of giving my notice imminently because I'm fed up with the hell hole RM has become and the thought of another Christmas makes drinking bleach an extremely attractive prospect. Just wondering how I should go about getting a shedload of back pay I'm owed from last year though. Manager didn't sort it out at the time and brushed it under the carpet. I have tried speaking with the DOM and that has been entirely fruitless. I am not in the union since they are rarely seen in my office and from what I've heard are utterly useless.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
So I'm thinking of giving my notice imminently because I'm fed up with the hell hole RM has become and the thought of another Christmas makes drinking bleach an extremely attractive prospect. Just wondering how I should go about getting a shedload of back pay I'm owed from last year though. Manager didn't sort it out at the time and brushed it under the carpet. I have tried speaking with the DOM and that has been entirely fruitless. I am not in the union since they are rarely seen in my office and from what I've heard are utterly useless.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Quitting and back pay
The only suggestion I can make is that arrears of pay may in a slim chance be rectified if you are añ employee, but you can probably kiss them goodbye once you are añ ex employee. Is the quantity owed worth sticking around for? Maybe better to just find another job then give RM the notice once you've got a start date somewhere else where you won't be treated like poop.
-
postie12345
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Quitting and back pay
Almost a grand, so yes, worth sticking around for but how long are we talking?
-
TONY MELON
- Posts: 73
- Joined: 17 Jan 2008, 11:24
Quitting and back pay
Hi if you do hand in your notice any money that Royal mail owns you must be paid
if they don't pay you contact acas.
Same Thing happened to my friend he left last year with money still owned he contacted acas and within a week all money was payed.
It's a free to use service
Website details below
http://m.acas.org.uk
if they don't pay you contact acas.
Same Thing happened to my friend he left last year with money still owned he contacted acas and within a week all money was payed.
It's a free to use service
Website details below
http://m.acas.org.uk
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Quitting and back pay
Why are they not paying it
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Quitting and back pay
Stage 2 Grievance, before quitting would be my suggestion.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Quitting and back pay
postie12345 wrote:Almost a grand, so yes, worth sticking around for but how long are we talking?
Why/how the f**k did you let it go so long?
To be honest you're not likely to see a penny of this money whether you're with the company or not. If we're talking about unpaid overtime an et claim should have been lodged a long time ago, what evidence do you have?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Quitting and back pay
no idea how you let it go so long, that will likely hurt your chances of getting the money back with someone like acas unless you have good documentation.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Quitting and back pay
Nearly £1000??? Seriously?? No wonder you are looking for another job.
Realistically you have 3 options.
1 - stay and be a difficult arse in the hope that you will get backpay owed, nag them every day and put in all sorts of stages of disagreements;
2 - leave and say 'sod the gits, they don't deserve me - I'm off to a better job' (have one lined up first, the dole is really not an option here);
3 - leave and do the ACAS thing mentioned above. Good luck with that if you do, it sounds like a long shot to me.
I would opt for the easy life (No. 2) as my time is worth more than hassle and grief - life is just too short, IMO.
Realistically you have 3 options.
1 - stay and be a difficult arse in the hope that you will get backpay owed, nag them every day and put in all sorts of stages of disagreements;
2 - leave and say 'sod the gits, they don't deserve me - I'm off to a better job' (have one lined up first, the dole is really not an option here);
3 - leave and do the ACAS thing mentioned above. Good luck with that if you do, it sounds like a long shot to me.
I would opt for the easy life (No. 2) as my time is worth more than hassle and grief - life is just too short, IMO.
-
postie12345
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Quitting and back pay
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.
Don't get me wrong, I have chased it, but nothing gets done here and you cannot and will not win against management. Never really had much to do with the DOM but they were fine with me until I raised this issue, then they were extremely rude and combative, and all involved have washed their hands of it.
It's not overtime. My basic pay was short. Took lots of nagging for them to finally fix it, thereby acknowledging a cock-up had been made, but I've never seen the backpay and subsequent nagging has proven to be ineffective. Guess it's my own fault for not staying at home and flat-out refusing to even come to work until the initial pay error had been rectified.
I'm not one of the golden boys and they've taken the piss on so many levels. They'd have a field day taking the piss at Christmas, but not now, enough is enough.
Will just hand my notice in tomorrow morning and be done with it.
Don't get me wrong, I have chased it, but nothing gets done here and you cannot and will not win against management. Never really had much to do with the DOM but they were fine with me until I raised this issue, then they were extremely rude and combative, and all involved have washed their hands of it.
It's not overtime. My basic pay was short. Took lots of nagging for them to finally fix it, thereby acknowledging a cock-up had been made, but I've never seen the backpay and subsequent nagging has proven to be ineffective. Guess it's my own fault for not staying at home and flat-out refusing to even come to work until the initial pay error had been rectified.
I'm not one of the golden boys and they've taken the piss on so many levels. They'd have a field day taking the piss at Christmas, but not now, enough is enough.
Will just hand my notice in tomorrow morning and be done with it.
-
TONY MELON
- Posts: 73
- Joined: 17 Jan 2008, 11:24
Quitting and back pay
Hi contact acas on this number 0300 123 1100
I guarantee they will get your money back
I guarantee they will get your money back
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Quitting and back pay
The fact of the matter is the bonus culture people on here mock me for that saying but when your payrise is any savings and bonuses are pensionable why would you not pay the staff so you could have a nice life of the workers backs I am sure he will think of you as he draws his not so well earned pension!postie12345 wrote:Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.
Don't get me wrong, I have chased it, but nothing gets done here and you cannot and will not win against management. Never really had much to do with the DOM but they were fine with me until I raised this issue, then they were extremely rude and combative, and all involved have washed their hands of it.
It's not overtime. My basic pay was short. Took lots of nagging for them to finally fix it, thereby acknowledging a cock-up had been made, but I've never seen the backpay and subsequent nagging has proven to be ineffective. Guess it's my own fault for not staying at home and flat-out refusing to even come to work until the initial pay error had been rectified.
I'm not one of the golden boys and they've taken the piss on so many levels. They'd have a field day taking the piss at Christmas, but not now, enough is enough.
Will just hand my notice in tomorrow morning and be done with it.
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Quitting and back pay
Might be better to wait a week or 2 before handing in your notice if you have shares.