ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Vacancies/extra hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Manboat
Posts: 172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
Gender: Male

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by Manboat »

Any advice please, I've been asking for extra contracted hours at work and am getting told there isn't any which is fair enough, I've just found out that someone wanting to transfer in from another office has had his transfer put on hold due to too much staff sickness in his current depot and not being able to be released. Now if my office has hours going to accommodate this transferee who God knows when will be allowed to transfer, how does his transfer go ahead of me getting the extra hours available. I'm already getting told that any upcoming vacancys I won't be allowed to go for as my 11 hours contract would require upping and a less senior individual with hours similar to the vacancy can trump me to it, I'm feeling a bit victimised to be honest, any help appreciated thanks.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by datasaint »

The vacant duty has to be advertised within your office and whoever has the most seniority gets it.
Manboat
Posts: 172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
Gender: Male

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by Manboat »

That's what I thought but my dom, union rep and area rep are saying different and see basically saying my hours don't fit and and because there's no hours going in the office I will be unable to apply for anything that comes up so less senior people can override me.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by Creditshampoo »

Less senior people cannot override you
Manboat
Posts: 172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
Gender: Male

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by Manboat »

Gonna try my hardest for that to be the case cos they don't seem to be changing their stance on it, just keep saying me taking a vacancy above my hours will require the office to bust it's hours and that can't happen.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by Creditshampoo »

Get the union reps to help you. And put in a grievance
Manboat
Posts: 172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
Gender: Male

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by Manboat »

They're saying the same as the dom but do they still have to help me put in a grievance?
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by Darren Bent »

Do it as 90-100 pounds a week is not enough.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by Creditshampoo »

Put in a stage 2 tomorrow. Send a copy to HTC and also to the union.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by korky »

Creditshampoo wrote:Less senior people cannot override you
Creditshampoo wrote:Get the union reps to help you. And put in a grievance
did at my d/o, all done by the cwu rep and not by management, 3 reps refused to tell me the procedure used when i asked for a transfer, one even got stroppy with me!
Manboat
Posts: 172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
Gender: Male

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by Manboat »

Thanks guys.
roger
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 148
Joined: 17 Feb 2007, 18:51

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by roger »

Manboat wrote:Any advice please, I've been asking for extra contracted hours at work and am getting told there isn't any which is fair enough, I've just found out that someone wanting to transfer in from another office has had his transfer put on hold due to too much staff sickness in his current depot and not being able to be released. Now if my office has hours going to accommodate this transferee who God knows when will be allowed to transfer, how does his transfer go ahead of me getting the extra hours available. I'm already getting told that any upcoming vacancys I won't be allowed to go for as my 11 hours contract would require upping and a less senior individual with hours similar to the vacancy can trump me to it, I'm feeling a bit victimised to be honest, any help appreciated thanks.
It would depend if the person transferring in is surplus in their own office.
Manboat
Posts: 172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
Gender: Male

Vacancies/extra hours

Post by Manboat »

He can't be surplus as they are recruiting a couple of people at the moment so they obviously short staffed and like I said have a load of sickness so they won't release him.