ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

D2D's Part tine contract

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
F3zza
Posts: 14
Joined: 03 Jan 2016, 20:38
Gender: Male

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by F3zza »

Hi all

As a 25 hour per week employee I only receive £15.36 delivery supplement for D2D's where as full timers get £25 and a few pennies for D2D's.

I was lead to believe that the difference is because a part time worker who starts at 9am is only expected to deliver the D2D's and not prep them?

This is not happening in my office and I am expected to prep the D2D's on a daily basis. along with other prep work not being done this means I frequently have to cut off as I am not getting out of the depot until at least an hour after everyone else.

I've raised this with the DOM saying that I shouldn't be prepping D2D's and his reply was I should do whatever Royal Mail tells me to do and that if it means I have to cut off so be it.

Union Rep is unclear on this too, but surely if I prep the D2D's than I should be getting £25 like a full timer?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Last edited by F3zza on 03 Oct 2016, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by bustedflush »

There is NO D2D payment! You get a pro-rata delivery supplement. If the DOM accepts you'll go out late and accepts the resulting cut-off then he is correct in saying you basically have to do what's asked. You'll spend more time in the office and less outdoors. No skin off your nose. If, however, they start getting arsey because of the cutting-off then it will become an issue.
F3zza
Posts: 14
Joined: 03 Jan 2016, 20:38
Gender: Male

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by F3zza »

Thank you for clarifying that for me bustedflush.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by Creditshampoo »

You get paid the same 39 hours as a full time.

You get an enhanced rate 25 hours to 39 which makes up for the supplement difference
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by NewPostieUK »

F3zza wrote:I am expected to prep the D2D's on a daily basis. along with other prep work not being done this means I frequently have to cut off as I am not getting out of the depot until at least an hour after everyone else.
As stated, there is no door to door payment, just your normal £10 an hour to do whatever the manager tells you to do.

However, I've been in the same boat. Someone is supposed to prep my duty, including door to doors. It's not getting done so I have to cut off. Lets think about that.. I am having to cut off because someone else can't do their job.

Bearing in mind the hassle and other implications of cutting off or claiming ("NP is claiming overtime every day when no one else is, not good" or " that bloody NP cutting off again - performance issues") I am seeing the rep and the manager every day. I think I'm slowly getting through to them. The person who can't do their job (the person who is meant to prep my duty) is the one who should have the hassle of cutting off or claiming, not me.

If I was you, I'd take the rep in with you to see the manager. What is supposed to be happening isn't happening and "just do what you are told" isn't a permanent solution.

There is a reason one person is meant to do one thing and another person something else. It's the plan, the organised workload, and when it isn't working on a daily basis it needs fixing.
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
F3zza
Posts: 14
Joined: 03 Jan 2016, 20:38
Gender: Male

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by F3zza »

What NewpostieUK and madmax1 have just said is more or less exactly what is happening to me at the moment, its getting silly.

I don't mind cutting off and to be fair I don't have a discussion about it. I'm in a position where I can't go over even if I wanted to and they know that.

It doesn't stop me feeling inadequate at my job having to cut off more often than not though.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

But it's not you that is inadequate at their job, it's the manager, failing to manage.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

They have no idea how impossible it is to double-prep another duty outside the kids summer holidays as well as your own and do lapsing, without going over... If you do the job vasguely how it should be done and how the duties are supposed to be designed to do in the correct way.

Part time staff are often stitched up every single day, if they come in at 0900 or so for contract hours that are supposed to be delivery only, 9 times out of ten they will have to finish prep. Which then means going over is likely, fine if you want the daily o/t, not so good if you want to get away on time.

Follow reasonable instruction by lino indoors, once you think you will go over, follow over-running procedure and be certain of how much overtime you wish to do.
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

D2D's Part tine contract

Post by NewPostieUK »

madmax1 wrote: It's really difficult to take a step back and say 'I haven't created this mess. It's not a reflection on me'.
That's because you know it will reflect on you. All management see is someone always cutting off or claiming overtime.

I've been in a conversation about cutting off and had to say "look, why am I even talking to you about this? Why isn't it PostmanX? HE is the one having trouble with the workload, yet it is ME who has to have the conversation about cutting off. WHY IS THIS??

If I was told to prep Duty 1 then my own, I'd prep duty 1 then if I was having problems with the workload, I'd have the cutting off conversation. I wouldn't just leave half the
prep undone, hoping someone else would do it.