ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Meal Relief Question
-
Splappy_McSplap
- Posts: 235
- Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
Hi,
In our office we all take 20 minutes before we go out. Up until about 6 months ago we would come back and just add the other 20 to the finish time on the sheet and go home.
Then, one day we got told, from then on we would have to put down "time back" and then instead of adding the 20 mins we would have to put down the time we left the building. Also, that if we wanted to claim overtime, we would have to take our last 20 minutes in the canteen before leaving.
The first thing I though was "It's a scam...it won't be long before they are claiming we owe them that time later in the week".
So this week my finishing times over/under (with Monday's overtime down on the sheet) went:
Monday + 30
Tuesday + 6
Wednesday -12
Thursday -20
Saturday +22 (This includes a 17 minute argument...I mean work-related discussion with a manager on returning to the office)
This puts me at +14 minutes for the week.
These times reflect me including my 20 minutes remaining meal relief at the end of my duty, but of course putting down the time I left the building as instructed by the manager.
I took out extra lapsing on the Saturday to make up time and I came back 5 minutes over. Just as I was signing out the line manager tells me to put in d2ds for next week for some jobs.
I say I will but only for the couple of minutes I believe I still owe. The manager claims I still owe 20 minutes. I ask where they are getting this figure and they claim I owe 30 minutes from Wednesday.
I object saying that they are asking me to work my meal relief from Wednesday. About half way through the "discussion" they tell me that since I didn't work 8 hours on Wednesday I was only entitled to 30 minutes.
I looked up the Way Forward Agreement 2000 and it says a) Between 7hrs 1min and 8hrs 59m (I worked 7 hours 13 minutes) I am entitled to 40 minutes and b) For delivery staff there is a standard entitlement of 40 minutes so was this complete nonsense?
Then I get told that I am getting a conduct meeting on Monday for refusing to carry out a direct instruction. I repeat that I believed essentially being asked to work my break from Wednesday is unreasonable.
To add to the fun my Union rep (who has a knowledge of the history of threats of suspension I have received from this manager) is off on Monday.
a) Have I done anything wrong here?
b) Was the manager out of order?
c) What do you think of the general situation here?
d) Any advice?
Thanks all
In our office we all take 20 minutes before we go out. Up until about 6 months ago we would come back and just add the other 20 to the finish time on the sheet and go home.
Then, one day we got told, from then on we would have to put down "time back" and then instead of adding the 20 mins we would have to put down the time we left the building. Also, that if we wanted to claim overtime, we would have to take our last 20 minutes in the canteen before leaving.
The first thing I though was "It's a scam...it won't be long before they are claiming we owe them that time later in the week".
So this week my finishing times over/under (with Monday's overtime down on the sheet) went:
Monday + 30
Tuesday + 6
Wednesday -12
Thursday -20
Saturday +22 (This includes a 17 minute argument...I mean work-related discussion with a manager on returning to the office)
This puts me at +14 minutes for the week.
These times reflect me including my 20 minutes remaining meal relief at the end of my duty, but of course putting down the time I left the building as instructed by the manager.
I took out extra lapsing on the Saturday to make up time and I came back 5 minutes over. Just as I was signing out the line manager tells me to put in d2ds for next week for some jobs.
I say I will but only for the couple of minutes I believe I still owe. The manager claims I still owe 20 minutes. I ask where they are getting this figure and they claim I owe 30 minutes from Wednesday.
I object saying that they are asking me to work my meal relief from Wednesday. About half way through the "discussion" they tell me that since I didn't work 8 hours on Wednesday I was only entitled to 30 minutes.
I looked up the Way Forward Agreement 2000 and it says a) Between 7hrs 1min and 8hrs 59m (I worked 7 hours 13 minutes) I am entitled to 40 minutes and b) For delivery staff there is a standard entitlement of 40 minutes so was this complete nonsense?
Then I get told that I am getting a conduct meeting on Monday for refusing to carry out a direct instruction. I repeat that I believed essentially being asked to work my break from Wednesday is unreasonable.
To add to the fun my Union rep (who has a knowledge of the history of threats of suspension I have received from this manager) is off on Monday.
a) Have I done anything wrong here?
b) Was the manager out of order?
c) What do you think of the general situation here?
d) Any advice?
Thanks all
-
therailway
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 20 Feb 2009, 11:37
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
First thing, do not agree to a "conduct meeting" without the prescence of a CWU rep.
Way Forward Agreement clearly states that their is no requirement to remain on the premises solely for booking off.
They are just trying it on, unless there is a local agreement claw back of time is not agreed.
Make sure you have Rep with you, sounds like a stitch up.
Way Forward Agreement clearly states that their is no requirement to remain on the premises solely for booking off.
They are just trying it on, unless there is a local agreement claw back of time is not agreed.
Make sure you have Rep with you, sounds like a stitch up.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Meal Relief Question
Firstly refuse to have the meeting until your rep is present.
secondly, tell your rep exactly what you have said here.
third, watch your Dim back track on Tuesday when he gets told there is no banking of hours at RM.
Fourth, enjoy your weekend and don't worry about a thing :)
secondly, tell your rep exactly what you have said here.
third, watch your Dim back track on Tuesday when he gets told there is no banking of hours at RM.
Fourth, enjoy your weekend and don't worry about a thing :)
-
Splappy_McSplap
- Posts: 235
- Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
I plan on demanding the presence of said rep.therailway wrote:First thing, do not agree to a "conduct meeting" without the prescence of a CWU rep.
Thanks, I am writing that down!Way Forward Agreement clearly states that their is no requirement to remain on the premises solely for booking off.
Since I am a city centre delivery I don't mind working "swings and roundabouts"...however we are double lapsing Tuesdays and Saturdays so it's looking more like "swings and...tough luck".They are just trying it on, unless there is a local agreement claw back of time is not agreed.
-
Splappy_McSplap
- Posts: 235
- Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
Am I right in thinking that since the Way Forward Agreement refers to the 40 minute meal relief as a "standard entitlement" that that time is for meal relief whether or not I remain on the premises for it?
i.e is my manager out of order for trying to make me work that time later in the week?
i.e is my manager out of order for trying to make me work that time later in the week?
-
Splappy_McSplap
- Posts: 235
- Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
Thanks for replying :)doorstepped wrote: third, watch your Dim back track on Tuesday when he gets told there is no banking of hours at RM.
In our office this seems to be the way the vast majority of deliveries operate...
Is the DOM being naughty?
Is there some juicy piece of literature I can quote with regards to this?
-
Splappy_McSplap
- Posts: 235
- Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
Also I would like to add that the same manager threatened to suspend me a month ago for refusing to take out an extra 108 calls when I had stated that not only would I be over my time anyway, but that I was willing to take the single lapsing part that everyone else was getting (about 50 calls). This was witnessed and the witness was interviewed by the Union rep.
On top of that the same manager has told me to "go home and think about it" on at least three occasions which I have not yet done.
On top of that the same manager has told me to "go home and think about it" on at least three occasions which I have not yet done.
-
Splappy_McSplap
- Posts: 235
- Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
Should next week's D2Ds even be getting prepped in on a Saturday? Is there anything official that says this shouldn't be done?
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Meal Relief Question
Take all 40 minutes before you go out. Problem solved.
They also won't like it.
They also won't like it.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
postmandick
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:35
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
Blatant bullying .
don't get riled by this idiot and any 'conversations' you have with him make sure you have a reliable witness .
if this manager or any other manager swears at you or shouts and intimidates you ..... try and flick you phone on to record and capture him/her abusing you ..... the company will not like you recording on our premises . but bullying must be stamped out .
and also the other avenue will be the Grievance procedure .... a career stopping event
be strong and join the union as this is what there here for
don't get riled by this idiot and any 'conversations' you have with him make sure you have a reliable witness .
if this manager or any other manager swears at you or shouts and intimidates you ..... try and flick you phone on to record and capture him/her abusing you ..... the company will not like you recording on our premises . but bullying must be stamped out .
and also the other avenue will be the Grievance procedure .... a career stopping event
be strong and join the union as this is what there here for
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
Next week's door to doors are a part of next week's workload. Not this week's.
-
Zicomurphy
- Posts: 578
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
All I can add to this is that if someone in my office, for example, got done 30 minutes early on a Tuesday and, because of this, was told on Wednesday they would have to work 30 minutes over their time the manager would just be laughed at.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Meal Relief Question
First things first. You do NOT owe them any minutes at the end of the week, if you have finished prior to your time. Banking of hours is not agreed on any level by the CWU.
-
slinder123
- Posts: 261
- Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 14:44
- Gender: Female
Meal Relief Question
it will be from next march so enjoy 
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Question
What will be from next March exactly?slinder123 wrote:it will be from next march so enjoy