ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
-
2214MN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
I know we can't predict what is going to happen in the future, but I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Currently agonising over taking a new job but it would mean either a 80 mile round trip commute to work or moving, but is likely to have better long term prospects I think although it will be mentally challenging rather than physically challenging.
We all moan about the job but now it's come to actually having the opportunity to leave, I'm questioning whether I want to walk away from a job which does have so many positives. I'm full time on collections, which sounds like it will slowly get ripped apart. I'm in my twenties and I don't want to fear for my job on a yearly basis, especially as I get older.
Just interested to see what you guys think, I realise it's a decision I can only make for myself. How do you see it long term and if anyone is having similar thoughts about finding something else for the long term.
Thanks
Currently agonising over taking a new job but it would mean either a 80 mile round trip commute to work or moving, but is likely to have better long term prospects I think although it will be mentally challenging rather than physically challenging.
We all moan about the job but now it's come to actually having the opportunity to leave, I'm questioning whether I want to walk away from a job which does have so many positives. I'm full time on collections, which sounds like it will slowly get ripped apart. I'm in my twenties and I don't want to fear for my job on a yearly basis, especially as I get older.
Just interested to see what you guys think, I realise it's a decision I can only make for myself. How do you see it long term and if anyone is having similar thoughts about finding something else for the long term.
Thanks
-
Deadly
- Posts: 703
- Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
I was going to say that the grass isn't always greener but then I read that you are a collection driver. In my opinion that role is the most insecure job in Royal Mail due to the push to put more and more collection work on deliveries. You are quite young so are in a good position to move on and start afresh in another job. Good luck!
-
Aus10
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 10 Jul 2015, 00:38
- Gender: Female
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
You are right, it is a decision only you can make.
Your expected commute if you take the new job is very long - having done long commute myself for a previous job some things to consider:
1. Expense. Public transport or your own vehicle? Weigh in cost of maintenance for your personal vehicle and for fuel.
2. Physical impact. Whether you're driving or taking PT, a long commute is tiring. Especially consider, if you are a driver, risks posed by driving fatigued, feeling rushed or frustrated. Roadworks, accidents etc. which causes delays to commuters.
Also for consideration:
How practical is moving, if you decide you want to go down that route? Is it affordable? Since moving is a big deal, how secure is your new job prospect? You're young, think about pension plan - is the new company's offer good? Is there scope for advancement/progression/promotion? Compare these things with what you currently 'have' working for RM.
Most important, I think, is how do you FEEL working for RM now? Are you happy? Insecure? Content? How does the job affect you mentally and physically? Can you see yourself as a postie 10 yrs from now? Twenty?
Many posties I know have physical ailments due to the nature of the work. Does your prospective job have similar hazards? (i.e. how might it impact your health 10-20 yrs from now?)
RM does seem to me to be a company of declining standards and poor treatment of its employees - that's why I have left. I got tired of being expected to work overtime without pay, feeling undervalued and unequal to the job despite my best efforts. Also, the uncertainty of what I'd be tasked to do each day was not a happy experience.
I've not regretted my decision. Mentally and physically I am in much better shape. I am also now currently employed by a company that makes me feel valued. I no longer dread going to work. I actually like my managers!
And my colleagues seem to be content as well, despite having a gripe now and then. It's early days yet but when I consider that after my first two weeks at RM I wanted to quit and was dreading going into work each day and how I feel now, I'm glad I left.
Good luck to you, whatever decision you make.
Your expected commute if you take the new job is very long - having done long commute myself for a previous job some things to consider:
1. Expense. Public transport or your own vehicle? Weigh in cost of maintenance for your personal vehicle and for fuel.
2. Physical impact. Whether you're driving or taking PT, a long commute is tiring. Especially consider, if you are a driver, risks posed by driving fatigued, feeling rushed or frustrated. Roadworks, accidents etc. which causes delays to commuters.
Also for consideration:
How practical is moving, if you decide you want to go down that route? Is it affordable? Since moving is a big deal, how secure is your new job prospect? You're young, think about pension plan - is the new company's offer good? Is there scope for advancement/progression/promotion? Compare these things with what you currently 'have' working for RM.
Most important, I think, is how do you FEEL working for RM now? Are you happy? Insecure? Content? How does the job affect you mentally and physically? Can you see yourself as a postie 10 yrs from now? Twenty?
Many posties I know have physical ailments due to the nature of the work. Does your prospective job have similar hazards? (i.e. how might it impact your health 10-20 yrs from now?)
RM does seem to me to be a company of declining standards and poor treatment of its employees - that's why I have left. I got tired of being expected to work overtime without pay, feeling undervalued and unequal to the job despite my best efforts. Also, the uncertainty of what I'd be tasked to do each day was not a happy experience.
I've not regretted my decision. Mentally and physically I am in much better shape. I am also now currently employed by a company that makes me feel valued. I no longer dread going to work. I actually like my managers!
Good luck to you, whatever decision you make.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
This acquisition of UKMail by DeutschePost will certainly be used as a stick to beat our t&c's down with even further.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
its only going to get worse. Most of us are now either cutting off or barely completing everyday, the next steps are 6 hour deliveries, its just going to be a grind. Hopefully ill be out of here within 6 months
-
2214MN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
Thanks Deadly. I enjoy collections as it is right now but I'm aware changes are coming and having the least seniority I also realise my job is most likely to be in danger when the revision comes.Deadly wrote:I was going to say that the grass isn't always greener but then I read that you are a collection driver. In my opinion that role is the most insecure job in Royal Mail due to the push to put more and more collection work on deliveries. You are quite young so are in a good position to move on and start afresh in another job. Good luck!
-
2214MN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
Thanks for such a detailed post, appreciate your thoughts on a decision I'm finding hard to make.Aus10 wrote:You are right, it is a decision only you can make.
Your expected commute if you take the new job is very long - having done long commute myself for a previous job some things to consider:
1. Expense. Public transport or your own vehicle? Weigh in cost of maintenance for your personal vehicle and for fuel.
2. Physical impact. Whether you're driving or taking PT, a long commute is tiring. Especially consider, if you are a driver, risks posed by driving fatigued, feeling rushed or frustrated. Roadworks, accidents etc. which causes delays to commuters.
Also for consideration:
How practical is moving, if you decide you want to go down that route? Is it affordable? Since moving is a big deal, how secure is your new job prospect? You're young, think about pension plan - is the new company's offer good? Is there scope for advancement/progression/promotion? Compare these things with what you currently 'have' working for RM.
Most important, I think, is how do you FEEL working for RM now? Are you happy? Insecure? Content? How does the job affect you mentally and physically? Can you see yourself as a postie 10 yrs from now? Twenty?
Many posties I know have physical ailments due to the nature of the work. Does your prospective job have similar hazards? (i.e. how might it impact your health 10-20 yrs from now?)
RM does seem to me to be a company of declining standards and poor treatment of its employees - that's why I have left. I got tired of being expected to work overtime without pay, feeling undervalued and unequal to the job despite my best efforts. Also, the uncertainty of what I'd be tasked to do each day was not a happy experience.
I've not regretted my decision. Mentally and physically I am in much better shape. I am also now currently employed by a company that makes me feel valued. I no longer dread going to work. I actually like my managers!![]()
And my colleagues seem to be content as well, despite having a gripe now and then. It's early days yet but when I consider that after my first two weeks at RM I wanted to quit and was dreading going into work each day and how I feel now, I'm glad I left.
Good luck to you, whatever decision you make.
The new job would be with the ambulance service as a dispatcher, which is going to be mentally challenging rather than physically but a lot of pressure. The pay is similar but in a few years time would be slightly more. The big issue with commuting is this job would involve night shifts and I don't think I could spend an hour in the car after a 12 hour shift.
i think realistically I realise I need to move on from RM within the next few years, it's whether this is the right opportunity or I risk being able to find something else.
Glad to hear your change of job has worked out well for you, nice to know there is life after RM out there!
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
You're full time, you're pretty much guaranteed work in Royal Mail no matter what comes. You might not always be on collections as you know it, it could be absorbed into deliveries etc. but you will have a job.
The real dilemma is for part-time staff, if for whatever reason the OT dried up, the job would no longer be sustainable.
The real dilemma is for part-time staff, if for whatever reason the OT dried up, the job would no longer be sustainable.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
Sounds like the Commuting is going to be your biggest problem. Long Term Commuting is a killer.
As mentioned the collection duties will be nibbled away at due to deliveries having to empty more boxes. You'll obviously be offered another job, but will you want it? Personally I don't think this Business has a lot to offer youngsters long term, it's going to become even more of a grind. I'm in the position of being an Old Git and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel!
I'll take the Fresh Air for now but I wouldn't recommend it as a job to a friend. 
I think the Ambulance Service would be a good move. Something I might have done a few years ago, but now I've had enough of starting at the bottom in a new job. Good Luck in your choice.
As mentioned the collection duties will be nibbled away at due to deliveries having to empty more boxes. You'll obviously be offered another job, but will you want it? Personally I don't think this Business has a lot to offer youngsters long term, it's going to become even more of a grind. I'm in the position of being an Old Git and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel!
I think the Ambulance Service would be a good move. Something I might have done a few years ago, but now I've had enough of starting at the bottom in a new job. Good Luck in your choice.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
This is what worries me greatly about my role within the Royal Mail.norm wrote: The real dilemma is for part-time staff, if for whatever reason the OT dried up, the job would no longer be sustainable.
-
2214MN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
Thanks mate. Agree on the commute, I think realistically long term it would be easier to move but I can only afford to rent in shared accommodation which wouldn't be ideal on night shifts. Plenty to consider. I don't know how the older guys do it, I have so much respect for all of you.Dorset Plodder wrote:Sounds like the Commuting is going to be your biggest problem. Long Term Commuting is a killer.![]()
As mentioned the collection duties will be nibbled away at due to deliveries having to empty more boxes. You'll obviously be offered another job, but will you want it? Personally I don't think this Business has a lot to offer youngsters long term, it's going to become even more of a grind. I'm in the position of being an Old Git and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel!I'll take the Fresh Air for now but I wouldn't recommend it as a job to a friend.
I think the Ambulance Service would be a good move. Something I might have done a few years ago, but now I've had enough of starting at the bottom in a new job. Good Luck in your choice.
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
A word of caution, I have come tonight from a meeting about the privatisation of the NHS ( side note but gives context) one of the speakers read out a statement from an ambulance dispatcher, it was grim read, all about the mental stress they are under having to prioritize basically who lives and who dies due to cutbacks, how droves of them are going sick with the stress - it did not paint a pretty picture at all -maybe do some research online about other currently working there before you make a leap? just something for you to consider2214MN wrote:
Thanks for such a detailed post, appreciate your thoughts on a decision I'm finding hard to make.
The new job would be with the ambulance service as a dispatcher, which is going to be mentally challenging rather than physically but a lot of pressure. The pay is similar but in a few years time would be slightly more. The big issue with commuting is this job would involve night shifts and I don't think I could spend an hour in the car after a 12 hour shift.
i think realistically I realise I need to move on from RM within the next few years, it's whether this is the right opportunity or I risk being able to find something else.
Glad to hear your change of job has worked out well for you, nice to know there is life after RM out there!
-
2214MN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
I do feel sorry for the part timers, have been there myself and was very fortunate to get a full time contract on collections. Really does test you being part time on delivery, getting messed around all the time is no fun at all.Mobey wrote:This is what worries me greatly about my role within the Royal Mail.norm wrote: The real dilemma is for part-time staff, if for whatever reason the OT dried up, the job would no longer be sustainable.
-
2214MN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
Thanks for sharing that. I did come across this article, https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... ce-failure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which doesn't make great reading either. Not sure if anyone on here watched it but there's a three part series on BBC one starting Tuesday just gone called Ambulance all about London Ambulance service. Very interesting watch regardless of my job offer, they are incredible people who work there but your right the lack of resources puts them under a huge amount of pressure. In one way that attracts me to the role but in another o think I must be crazy to swap this job for that sort of mental challengefeduppostie wrote:A word of caution, I have come tonight from a meeting about the privatisation of the NHS ( side note but gives context) one of the speakers read out a statement from an ambulance dispatcher, it was grim read, all about the mental stress they are under having to prioritize basically who lives and who dies due to cutbacks, how droves of them are going sick with the stress - it did not paint a pretty picture at all -maybe do some research online about other currently working there before you make a leap? just something for you to consider2214MN wrote:
Thanks for such a detailed post, appreciate your thoughts on a decision I'm finding hard to make.
The new job would be with the ambulance service as a dispatcher, which is going to be mentally challenging rather than physically but a lot of pressure. The pay is similar but in a few years time would be slightly more. The big issue with commuting is this job would involve night shifts and I don't think I could spend an hour in the car after a 12 hour shift.
i think realistically I realise I need to move on from RM within the next few years, it's whether this is the right opportunity or I risk being able to find something else.
Glad to hear your change of job has worked out well for you, nice to know there is life after RM out there!
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Opinions on the future of Royal Mail
It's my belief that everybody currently within Royal Mail who is not within reasonable reach of retirement should be considering their options. I have been in the job for six years and have enjoyed working here - the money is reasonable for unskilled work, and the job itself is still okay. But, every year since I started, the job has become worse because of one modernisation method or another, because of one initiative or another, because of attempts to draw more work out of fewer people for less money. Delivery spans have gone up and will go up again. There is no way this will be stopped, because every time Royal Mail has set its sights on something while I've been here, regardless of CWU opposition, they have eventually got round to it.
The physical impact of an increasing delivery span is hard to predict, but I find four-hour spans to be quite draining as it is. Personally, I have just started looking for and applying for other jobs - I was waiting until I was close enough to the time when our shares actually become ours, because it didn't make sense to me to throw away a reasonable dividend year-on-year, and the lion's share of the shares which would probably be worth £1500+ in the worst case.
The physical impact of an increasing delivery span is hard to predict, but I find four-hour spans to be quite draining as it is. Personally, I have just started looking for and applying for other jobs - I was waiting until I was close enough to the time when our shares actually become ours, because it didn't make sense to me to throw away a reasonable dividend year-on-year, and the lion's share of the shares which would probably be worth £1500+ in the worst case.