ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What to do? . advice please

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
windermeredave
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 265
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 13:37
Gender: Male

What to do? . advice please

Post by windermeredave »

Yesterday (Monday) I delivered a tracked parcel to the correct address on my round.
Today when in the same street the lady came out with the opened parcel in her hand telling me that it wasn`t for anyone in the house.
The address label apart from the barcode was missing. she asked me if I could take it off her hands?
I told her no, not in that condition. she offered to secure the parcel and asked me to knock her door tomorrow .
What the hell should I do? its not her parcel, so letting her keep it isn`t an option.
As per usual my lino wouldn`t answer her mobile.
steveoooo1
Posts: 58
Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 19:40
Gender: Male

What to do? . advice please

Post by steveoooo1 »

windermeredave wrote:Yesterday (Monday) I delivered a tracked parcel to the correct address on my round.
Today when in the same street the lady came out with the opened parcel in her hand telling me that it wasn`t for anyone in the house.
The address label apart from the barcode was missing. she asked me if I could take it off her hands?
I told her no, not in that condition. she offered to secure the parcel and asked me to knock her door tomorrow .
What the hell should I do? its not her parcel, so letting her keep it isn`t an option.
As per usual my lino wouldn`t answer her mobile.
If this was me I would have a good chat to my dom/lino about this in the morning. personally you delivered to the address on the front so you did your job properly. I would not touch it as it could lead you into false stealing claims etc. this is my opinion so take it or leave it.

Good luck
windermeredave
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 265
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 13:37
Gender: Male

What to do? . advice please

Post by windermeredave »

I think it`s probably best if I refuse to handle a parcel that has already been opened, I will leave it to management to visit the lady to resolve it.
tiredm
Posts: 20
Joined: 18 Oct 2011, 17:45
Gender: Male

What to do? . advice please

Post by tiredm »

If it's been opened then it needs new postage on it. She needs to write the return address on and pay for it.
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

What to do? . advice please

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

I've had similar in the past , I've just said that I can't take it as I cannot issue a receipt and leave it as that.
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

What to do? . advice please

Post by koolishy67 »

Tell her drop the parcel at office don't take it.
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

What to do? . advice please

Post by olilew »

You've delivered it as addressed. End of.
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
swpostie
Posts: 32
Joined: 20 May 2009, 04:28
Gender: Male

What to do? . advice please

Post by swpostie »

Tiredm is right - you shouldn't take it.

You are effectively being asked to accept a redirected parcel (return to sender) but, as per Royal Mail rules, if the item has been opened (or the name has been changed) it is not eligible for a free redirection - it is a new item in the system and postage had to be paid accordingly.

She'll need to secure it, take it to the Post Office and pay the postage.

If she hadn't opened it you could take it.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

What to do? . advice please

Post by WOBBLY »

Sounds very suss! Let your DOM deal with it!