ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Training advice for a marathon?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sheepy19
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 15:06
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by sheepy19 »

Hello
a very niche question, I know,
I'm running a marathon next year and I wanted to know if any posties have done this before and how they trained for it?
I've looked online about training for it, but my legs are already tired after walking 4+ hours every day!
Only getting 22 days off a year I don't want to use all my holidays up because of it. So I wanted to know whether
the legs can take the running every day after a hard days work, if the work-related exercise can count towards the training
or if it basically messes it all up and the best thing is to not work for 16 weeks before!?
I'm 31 and I know a lot of posties of all ages have ran them so i'd be interested to hear about it

cheers
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by Justanotherstar »

Just take a few ephedrine tabs half hour before...you'll do it in an hour or so.


Someone helpful will be along shortly.
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by salomon2 »

I've done a few and find walking 12 miles a day supplements my training, but best training is strength work, insanity classes, Pilates for quieter sessions and some cross training with a long run on weekends and a few shorter runs during the week. I'm 50 and not fast but some short hill reps are good for not overdoing the miles as well. I aim for 8 minute miles on short runs and 10mm on longer runs.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by Mobey »

salomon2 wrote:I aim for 8 minute miles on short runs and 10mm on longer runs.
10mm sounds good to me, I do more than that when I get out of bed. :Very Happy
Stunl3y
Posts: 73
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 11:57
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by Stunl3y »

Ive done a couple , ive found that rest days are as important as training days , I also found that as I increased my training it was easier using Sundays Mondays and Tuesdays for my longer runs , take things easy or even just rest on Wed/Thursday then go on steady runs Friday and Saturday. I really found grabbing an hour or two kip before I ran helped as well, not easy I know with the way things are in this job but if you can I really recommend it. Plenty of pasta and carbs and when you get nearer the race you really want to have done at least three or four 18-20 mile runs then taper down your training 2 weeks before you race. This is what I did, managed to get under 3.20 and to be honest if I had not gone off so fast I reckon I could easily get under 3.10 but unfortunately my right knee has caused me all sorts of problems (Thanks Royal Mail) and I don't think it can take the pressure of the job and marathon training so I just run 4 times a week now im 47 btw.

Good luck !!
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
stewart
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 16:36
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by stewart »

Doing all the walking on my round whilst training for a marathon certainly helped me . My round was on average 10 miles a day 5-6 days a week . I ran on average 90 miles a week in a 16 week build up to London Marathon with 120 miles a week when on holiday . This was done in my forties . To cope I just said it was all in the mind and got on with it . Running 26.2 miles is tough and being a postie in all weather toughens you up !!
sheepy19
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 15:06
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by sheepy19 »

Cheers everyone for the advice and stories :cool
looking forward to it (and also not :) )

3:42 is very impressive!
hazzeem025
Posts: 280
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:09
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by hazzeem025 »

Use your walking miles as your base training. Mix up your training sessions. Do interval sessions, absolutely do hill reps, tempo for an hour. Don't get obsessed with the idea that you have to run 18-20miles 5 or 6 times to do a marathon! Don't over train. If you're tired, rest! If you run when tired you stand a higher chance of injury. Mix a little cycling into your training. My main bit of advice is quality hard miles over the quantity of miles. Eat a mix of protein and carbohydrate after training sessions. And also eat well when you're at work, otherwise training won't happen, you'll be to tired! Best of luck!!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I'll take my hat off to any Postie that's got the energy to train and run Marathon's :Applause Maybe if you've got a correctly set up duty BUT TBH when I get home I'm knackered! :sad:

Quite a few in my DO are getting into the cycling perhaps they're just missing their old Bikes, but I suppose you could argue it's less impact on the knees etc! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
mrpostiepat
Posts: 16
Joined: 13 Aug 2013, 23:14
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by mrpostiepat »

You won't need to take time off before to train but i recommend you try and get some time off after your race as your legs are going to be tired for quite a while afterwards.
I followed an 18wk training plan and always did 'the long run' on the Sunday when you're not working and have all day. Three 20 mile runs in your training is enough as any more than that you risk injury. It's actually good practice to run on tired legs in your training as you are teaching your legs to keep going when you're fatigued. Good luck, hope it goes well.
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by PHARRY »

Eat 3 full English fry ups everyday and drink 20 pints of Guinness a day
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by PHARRY »

sheepy19 wrote:Hello
a very niche question, I know,
I'm running a marathon next year and I wanted to know if any posties have done this before and how they trained for it?
I've looked online about training for it, but my legs are already tired after walking 4+ hours every day!
Only getting 22 days off a year I don't want to use all my holidays up because of it. So I wanted to know whether
the legs can take the running every day after a hard days work, if the work-related exercise can count towards the training
or if it basically messes it all up and the best thing is to not work for 16 weeks before!?
I'm 31 and I know a lot of posties of all ages have ran them so i'd be interested to hear about it

cheers


If your running marathon your round can't be very big
sheepy19
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 15:06
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by sheepy19 »

I tried the Guinness and fry ups every day just made me podgy!
update:
So im 2 months away been training since January and i did a 18 mile run today so going good...(after a 6 day week, with plenty of overtime, collections etc)
Surprisingly enough I'd say all the running hasn't affected my walking or vice versa, in any case it's made the job easier....
the first couple of runs i had to hobble round the next day in work but since then it's been okay.
Don't want to speak too soon but anyone worried about running and overworked legs, i guess its okay and the legs can take Full time walking with lots of running afterwards
(38 miles a week over 4 running days). I've seen some marathon schedules of 80+ hours of running a week!

P.S. I haven't been given any time off after the marathon!! Despite requesting this at the first opportunity. This has gone to all the people who've also asked for that time off, and since they've all been there longer they get it off. I'll be possibly calling in sick though if my legs are in a bad way, so their loss... :arrrghhh
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Training advice for a marathon?

Post by South_London_Postie »

"This has gone to all the people who've also asked for that time off, and since they've all been there longer they get it off."

Seniority is not allowed to be used as a tool for annual leave allocation