I'm a 24 hours reserve over 5 days (6 hours OT everyweek) and started just under a year ago.
There's four reserves who I started with on the same day as me who have only ever done one duty apart from their one day training. There's also three more who started a few weeks after me who also pretty much have their own walk which are all P&L. That's seven that I know of that get a nice cushy life and a saturday off every three weeks, whereas myself and a couple of other reserves get moved from pillar to post.
Ok, I have no problem doing a different walk every day but the 1 in 3 saturdays does get to me as these other reserves have had five or six saturdays off and counting since I last had one off.
But the reason I'm only just bringing this up and asking for other people's opinions is that my hours are now starting to be reduced to my contract hours. I know technically they can reduce them to 24 because that's my contract, but surely if there's a need to reduce hours it should be rotated between other reserves? I've been picked out for the third week in a row whilst all others get their 24 + 6 OT with three of them doing packets in the afternoon getting FT hours. Do I have a case to be unhappy with what's going on or is it a case of stop being a whiny so and so and get on with it?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Is this normal to happen in an office?
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Is this normal to happen in an office?
Speak to the union get them to demand the duties go up on the board as they've been unsigned for for over 6 mon the.
Could backfire and have someone senior to yourself get them but still they can't reduce someone's hours and have it no effect others.
Could backfire and have someone senior to yourself get them but still they can't reduce someone's hours and have it no effect others.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Is this normal to happen in an office?
1 in 3 Saturdays isn't the norm that's for sure. 1 in 6 is usually the best most of us can hope ever hope for! 
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Is this normal to happen in an office?
Goes Thursday, Friday, Saturday and repeat. Didn't realise it wasn't the norm?Judgee wrote:1 in 3 Saturdays isn't the norm that's for sure. 1 in 6 is usually the best most of us can hope ever hope for!
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Is this normal to happen in an office?
Saturday off is 1 in 6 for walk holders and once in a blue moon for reserves @ our place.
We're all here because we're not all there
-
Dreamcatcher90
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 26 Sep 2016, 22:18
- Gender: Male
Is this normal to happen in an office?
We get 1 in 3 Saturday's off on our duties
Week 1 Sat
Week 2 Mon, Tues
Week 3 Thursday
If your full time, works well
Week 1 Sat
Week 2 Mon, Tues
Week 3 Thursday
If your full time, works well
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Is this normal to happen in an office?
I
Last edited by 97gaz on 16 Dec 2019, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Is this normal to happen in an office?
As mentioned see your rep. You are entitled to be treated fairly, that means the same as other people in your situation/office. A grievance may be the best way to resolve this but if the rep can have a quiet word it might get sorted before you go nuclear.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.