ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How late back were you in your first day?
-
Kirsty952002
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 11:47
- Gender: Female
How late back were you in your first day?
Today I did a van duty, we left late, heavy post, and did our lapsing (where I got sent the wrong way!) got back about half an hour - 45 mins late.
Essentially I am looking for a bit of reassurance that this happens to others on there first duty out and it's not because I am a snail, lol!
Thanks anyway!
Essentially I am looking for a bit of reassurance that this happens to others on there first duty out and it's not because I am a snail, lol!
Thanks anyway!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
How late back were you in your first day?
45 minutes is nothing to be honest.
My first day of doing a duty on my own I was 2.5 hours over.
My first day of doing a duty on my own I was 2.5 hours over.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Theghost
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
Started delivering at 8.30am (Late for 21 years ago) and finished at 4.30pm. It should have taken me 3 hours,I had sky mags,Mail not in order and my head was proper up my arse.
Thats what happens when you are not trained properly,I saw the kids going to school and coming home from school.

Thats what happens when you are not trained properly,I saw the kids going to school and coming home from school.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3220
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
Sky Mags!Theghost wrote:Started delivering at 8.30am (Late for 21 years ago) and finished at 4.30pm. It should have taken me 3 hours,I had sky mags,Mail not in order and my head was proper up my arse.
Thats what happens when you are not trained properly,I saw the kids going to school and coming home from school.![]()
![]()
*shudders*
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
you shouldnt be doing lapsing if you dont have time, but i get it, early on you dont really want to cause problems.... people struggle to finish no matter if theyre new or not, workloads are set to fill our hours now, so anything above the projected volume and its impossible to finish (unless you run) .... (dont run) :)
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
Don't worry, Christmas will sneak up on royal mail soon! When is it this yr? Then 45mins late will seem nothing!
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
How late back were you in your first day?
My very first day I was done by 11 am, I was with a runner so i ran with him, mind you that was 12 years ago
First day on my own it was about 4 pm lol
First day on my own it was about 4 pm lol
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
First day on my own i finished just before 3 because I had to pick up my kid...I still had probably a quarter of a walk (including a special) left over...turns out the half a day training and google map printout I was given wasn't enough, not being allowed a pda didn't help at all.
I have a question though... why in the hell are you lapsing in September? and on the second busiest day of the week...f**k that
I have a question though... why in the hell are you lapsing in September? and on the second busiest day of the week...f**k that
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
45 minutes is nothing!
Last week I went out on my own for the first time. I came back two and a half hours later. It was my first time using a HCT too. I was not given any map or told where to park the hct.
I ended up pushing it around all the way, I left for delivery at 1000 and didn't get back until 1630. I walked about 14.5 miles that day. I was knackered. I brought back some mail and packets I couldn't find. When I told a manager I was struggling, they couldn't understand why as the walk is very easy.
I come in this week to find I'm on it again. But this time, been given a map and shown on the map where to leave the trolley. So much easier!
Keep doing the best you can, I'm sure you will do fine.
:
Last week I went out on my own for the first time. I came back two and a half hours later. It was my first time using a HCT too. I was not given any map or told where to park the hct.
I ended up pushing it around all the way, I left for delivery at 1000 and didn't get back until 1630. I walked about 14.5 miles that day. I was knackered. I brought back some mail and packets I couldn't find. When I told a manager I was struggling, they couldn't understand why as the walk is very easy.
I come in this week to find I'm on it again. But this time, been given a map and shown on the map where to leave the trolley. So much easier!
Keep doing the best you can, I'm sure you will do fine.
-
tinkz
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 08 Mar 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
How late back were you in your first day?
I took a new starter out on her first day on a walk last week plus lapsing and we was an hour late back
-
abzo
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
On my first time alone i finished on time. But the latest i ever finished was 1 hour 30 mins. Although i have heard stories of other posties who finished well into the evening around 8 - 9 pm when they started. So my advice is don't worry about 45 mins, i tend to go over once each week by an hour. But so long as your prep is done properly you should be fine outside. I remember when i started a month ago i was one of the last people out of the office, now though I am one of the first ones out of the office, only thing that delays me now is late missorts and late mech mail coming in. Other than that I have calculated my delivery time to only take 2 - 3 hours
-
madmax1
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
a manager admitting one walk is easier than another!Mobey wrote:45 minutes is nothing!
Last week I went out on my own for the first time. I came back two and a half hours later. It was my first time using a HCT too. I was not given any map or told where to park the hct.
I ended up pushing it around all the way, I left for delivery at 1000 and didn't get back until 1630. I walked about 14.5 miles that day. I was knackered. I brought back some mail and packets I couldn't find. When I told a manager I was struggling, they couldn't understand why as the walk is very easy.![]()
I come in this week to find I'm on it again. But this time, been given a map and shown on the map where to leave the trolley. So much easier!
Keep doing the best you can, I'm sure you will do fine.
:
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
I'm sorry, I thought you said you're delivery only takes 2-3......oh hang on, you did! Are you sure you work for royal mail? Just saying coz my delivery takes 5-6hrs from leaving the office to getting back. Ah the fairness of royal mail. No, seriously, how the hell do you deliver a full round in 2-3hrs. Please fill us in, I'm sure it's not just me wondering as I haven't delivered a round in less than 3hrs since a Tuesday about 15 yrs ago.abzo wrote:On my first time alone i finished on time. But the latest i ever finished was 1 hour 30 mins. Although i have heard stories of other posties who finished well into the evening around 8 - 9 pm when they started. So my advice is don't worry about 45 mins, i tend to go over once each week by an hour. But so long as your prep is done properly you should be fine outside. I remember when i started a month ago i was one of the last people out of the office, now though I am one of the first ones out of the office, only thing that delays me now is late missorts and late mech mail coming in. Other than that I have calculated my delivery time to only take 2 - 3 hours
-
abzo
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
What's wrong with you?rambo1 wrote:I'm sorry, I thought you said you're delivery only takes 2-3......oh hang on, you did! Are you sure you work for royal mail? Just saying coz my delivery takes 5-6hrs from leaving the office to getting back. Ah the fairness of royal mail. No, seriously, how the hell do you deliver a full round in 2-3hrs. Please fill us in, I'm sure it's not just me wondering as I haven't delivered a round in less than 3hrs since a Tuesday about 15 yrs ago.abzo wrote:On my first time alone i finished on time. But the latest i ever finished was 1 hour 30 mins. Although i have heard stories of other posties who finished well into the evening around 8 - 9 pm when they started. So my advice is don't worry about 45 mins, i tend to go over once each week by an hour. But so long as your prep is done properly you should be fine outside. I remember when i started a month ago i was one of the last people out of the office, now though I am one of the first ones out of the office, only thing that delays me now is late missorts and late mech mail coming in. Other than that I have calculated my delivery time to only take 2 - 3 hours
And im sure you would like me to fill you in how my duty takes only 2-3 hours, well considering its a hct duty and pretty much a lot of the duties in my office are hct duties that should give you a little idea of why it does not take us much long to deliver and dont get me wrong we do have van shares as well but the area we deliver to is very densely populated and is in very close proximity to our office hence why we use hcts. And i calculate this from the first delivery point to the last if you want travelling times to and from the area i deliver to then its roughly 10 mins to go there 10 mins to get back. Tell me how your duty is so that i can get an idea of how unfair you seem to think it is?