ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

2D scanning

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by ScousePostie »

Yes, another one of these 2D scanning posts.

We were told last week that our office is doing well scanning the majority of 2D barcodes, but, I've come across quite a few where the barcode is folded around the corners of boxes, creased, smudged, or, one of the worst ones to scan, wrapped around a tube.

Then, today I spotted this. This one is actually partially covered by white tapping, so unable to scan. I had to take a photo of this one, mostly because I want to show anyone who asks why it wasn't scanned why I was unable to scan it. I could have probably picked at the tape that was covering it, but I don't think the customer would appreciate this.

It'll be interesting to hear what other types of parcels posties have had trouble scanning. This was supposed to be the way forward for scanning parcels but if RM can't even get this right... 'Yes we scan', no, we can't. :arrrghhh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by Surreypostie »

I sent a packet last week, it had one of these barcodes on it applied at the post office. As a customer I have absolutely no idea what good it is to me. I have no idea if it was delivered, when it was delivered and to who it was delivered. As a postman, if I can't scan them, I won't loose any sleep over it.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by ScousePostie »

This is all a case of, if customers complains packet has been lost, RM can cover their own backs.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

2D scanning

Post by k979aaa »

Wet code's run will not scan nor will printers with clogged ink jets post offices and home users normally have these but the transit of mail in York sleeves is the number one reason for non scan as creasing and ripping of the 2D code is the main reason for this. But those who manage us need to allow for all these thing's otherwise they could find themselves upon a conduct charge for not allowing for all the above reason's.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Surreypostie wrote:I sent a packet last week, I have absolutely no idea if it was delivered, when it was delivered and to who it was delivered.
You sent a packet and have no idea who you sent it to? :crazy:
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

2D scanning

Post by steve1873 »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
Surreypostie wrote:I sent a packet last week, I have absolutely no idea if it was delivered, when it was delivered and to who it was delivered.
You sent a packet and have no idea who you sent it to? :crazy:
I think it is clear that he knows who it was SENT to. The problem is, he has no way of tracking to whom it was delivered. Given this new "delivery to neighbour" bollox, items can be delivered to anywhere in proximity of the recipients address. :thumbdown
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by ScousePostie »

steve1873 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
Surreypostie wrote:I sent a packet last week, I have absolutely no idea if it was delivered, when it was delivered and to who it was delivered.
You sent a packet and have no idea who you sent it to? :crazy:
I think it is clear that he knows who it was SENT to. The problem is, he has no way of tracking to whom it was delivered. Given this new "delivery to neighbour" bollox, items can be delivered to anywhere in proximity of the recipients address. :thumbdown
It would be a good idea if the PDAs had an option 'delivered to neighbour'. 'Delivered' is an ambiguous term to use.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by Surreypostie »

steve1873 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
Surreypostie wrote:I sent a packet last week, I have absolutely no idea if it was delivered, when it was delivered and to who it was delivered.
You sent a packet and have no idea who you sent it to? :crazy:
I think it is clear that he knows who it was SENT to. The problem is, he has no way of tracking to whom it was delivered. Given this new "delivery to neighbour" bollox, items can be delivered to anywhere in proximity of the recipients address. :thumbdown
Exactly, I know who I sent it to and I know they received it, we are sold this scanning idea on the basis it is for the customers benefit so they can track their item, I know it is bullshit. I have no problem with scanning the ones that work, I just don't believe why we are doing it.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by wannabeek »

Maybe mistakenly, I just assumed that they were using the scans to track the postie, not the packets. I scan everything I can scan because I do the job by the book and don't need to hide up anywhere. More scans the better in my opinion as the longer the duty takes the more there is for OT. Sometimes OT for me, sometimes for someone else, no matter which, as far as I'm concerned.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by ScousePostie »

wannabeek wrote:Maybe mistakenly, I just assumed that they were using the scans to track the postie, not the packets. I scan everything I can scan because I do the job by the book and don't need to hide up anywhere. More scans the better in my opinion as the longer the duty takes the more there is for OT. Sometimes OT for me, sometimes for someone else, no matter which, as far as I'm concerned.
I wish our management would confirm to us all exactly what we should be scanning. There are barcodes such as the one I posted at the top here and also similar looking smaller ones which I've seen on letters. Some DOMs say we don't scan these smaller barcodes, some say we do.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by cpsteve »

Surreypostie wrote:I sent a packet last week, it had one of these barcodes on it applied at the post office. As a customer I have absolutely no idea what good it is to me. I have no idea if it was delivered, when it was delivered and to who it was delivered. As a postman, if I can't scan them, I won't loose any sleep over it.
Its still a trial but once its gone live you can track your parcel not sure if its a bar code on your receipt like recorded items.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by Surreypostie »

cpsteve wrote:
Surreypostie wrote:I sent a packet last week, it had one of these barcodes on it applied at the post office. As a customer I have absolutely no idea what good it is to me. I have no idea if it was delivered, when it was delivered and to who it was delivered. As a postman, if I can't scan them, I won't loose any sleep over it.
Its still a trial but once its gone live you can track your parcel not sure if its a bar code on your receipt like recorded items.
No, nothing on the receipt. Once you hand it over you have no record of it at all. Just a con if you ask me, you just pay the normal postage cost. Tracking is a premium service, I'd love to know why we are scanning these things.
mbavelja
Posts: 60
Joined: 19 Sep 2009, 12:55
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by mbavelja »

Surreypostie wrote: I'd love to know why we are scanning these things.
In addition the data produced will also enable Royal Mail to charge customers more accurately. It will also allow Royal Mail and CWU to gather more data about traffic relating to parcels including how many, weight, size, location etc, to assist with future discussions on Resourcing to Workload.
Round up the usual suspects.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

2D scanning

Post by ScousePostie »

But most importantly it allows managers to be able to see where packets where scanned in the event of any denial of receipt, similar to tracked etc.