ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Purchase annual leave.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
GT_TDI_150
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Mar 2016, 16:05
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by GT_TDI_150 »

Hi

Im wanting to buy 2 weeks annual leave to take me up to 6 weeks.

Does anyone no the start and cut off date to apply to do this please.

Thanks.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

The cut off point to have extra leave in 2017-18 year (that starts around end March or early April) is the end of February 2017.

Unless you have a special contract, you get 4.5 weeks as standard, so you only need to use POAL to buy another 1.5 weeks to take you to the maximum of 6 weeks leave per year..
GT_TDI_150
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Mar 2016, 16:05
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by GT_TDI_150 »

Ok thanks for the reply. :cool
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Forgot to mention, once you join POAL, you are automatically on it for the rest of your RM days until you leave or get 6 weeks as standard after many years service. You don't have to enrol each year and as far as I know, only you can elect to leave the scheme from the next financial year (I don't know the cut-off for this, presumably end of February too).
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

Purchase annual leave.

Post by woking »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:The cut off point to have extra leave in 2017-18 year (that starts around end March or early April) is the end of February 2017.

Unless you have a special contract, you get 4.5 weeks as standard, so you only need to use POAL to buy another 1.5 weeks to take you to the maximum of 6 weeks leave per year..
how do I go about buying extra leave?none of this has been explained & I'd really like additional time off,also if I was to buy 1.5 weeks how do I pay for it & if it's on a weekly basis how much would I be paying?
GT_TDI_150
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Mar 2016, 16:05
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by GT_TDI_150 »

Its hard work now days to even get the simplest answer. No one knows or even cares haha. Looking into it though ive 10 years service next year so will only have to buy a year and a day if thats even possible. :nana
ddtc
Posts: 253
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by ddtc »

Ask a manager for the form you need to fill in to purchase annual leave. Fill in the amount of weeks you want and give it back to your manager.

Wait for them to approve it, and just a bit of advice ask them often if its been authorised.

Once its been authorised then book the extra leave you want for next year as usual.

The time to purchase annual leave starts October and the deadline is February. You will recieve a letter from Hr saying how many days you have asked for and it will be taken out of your pay every week/month. It will be labelled as POAL and the amount you pay depends on what contract you are on.

As someone already said you will not need to apply the following year unless you inform them.

I got this information from Hr as my manager told me I was late for next year which I found fishy as I had extra leave this year which was authorised last December. So I called Hr and they told me the right info.

I do not trust our manager at all as they seem to lie about a lot of things lately.

Good luck getting all the leave you want as at my office we have been told that their are no more spaces for annual leave this year. A lot of colleagues here, myself included have on average 5 days left. They use that excuse along with theirs no more annual leave budget.

Stupid as that means a lot of annual leave will have to be carried over which I would think would give them more of a headache next year fitting everyones extra leave in. Also I don't understand how it comes out the budget if the lot of us are paying it back.
hellpop
Posts: 62
Joined: 13 Nov 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by hellpop »

I buy leave . Have submitted over a dozen requests. All refused. Dom says book now full for this year. Hope your office is better than ours cos people can't even get a day off for anything.
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by themailman »

Our office has plenty people with 4-5 weeks they can't take due to it being refused every time they ask (accrued from long term sick leave).
However a few guys are allowed to buy extra leave every year

:Applause :Applause :Applause :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Purchase annual leave.

Post by k979aaa »

themailman wrote:Our office has plenty people with 4-5 weeks they can't take due to it being refused every time they ask (accrued from long term sick leave).
However a few guys are allowed to buy extra leave every year

:Applause :Applause :Applause :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Just go sick I am sure they will be more than accommodating in taking it out of your annual leave!
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by bustedflush »

POAL will only get you 5 weeks off if you are on the rota week system as you use 6 days each week. If you have the rotating day you will have 6 weeks to book. You start paying it at the start of the financial year the leave applies to, so get it sorted by Feb. and you'll start paying it April.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by bustedflush »

dfubster wrote:When paying for annual leave does the amount you pay add up to what you'll get paid during that extra time off?
i.e. it's sort of 1.5 weeks unpaid (in a round about way)
Yes.
Wiggins79
Posts: 182
Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 11:25
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by Wiggins79 »

Hmm, we were told that buying extra leave is no longer possible. Only the people who already did it in years previously can continue to do so. From reading this thread I'm getting the feeling that this was the usual load of horses**t from our wonderful manager?
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Wiggins79 wrote:Hmm, we were told that buying extra leave is no longer possible.
For what it's worth, that is news to me.

I think the only OPGs that cannot request POAL are newcomers to the business (first 12 months?), in theory I believe everyone else can request to extend their leave up to six weeks.

Might be one for justsayit depending on other replies regarding this.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Purchase annual leave.

Post by WOBBLY »

I set up my POAL this year. I asked my manager to set it up in Jan, only to be told I'd missed the cut off point! (I knew I hadn't) I rang HR to confirm and informed my manager the next day that the cut off was indeed the end of Feb! The request was reluctantly submitted by the DOM. I rang HR a week later to confirm the DOM had actually carried the request out.

End of Feb is the cut off so any application now will be for the 2017-2018 year. AFAIK its still available (ring HR to confirm) Ask your manager to request it through PSP. Leave it a week and ring HR to confirm they have. POAL is then active until you get to 6 weeks leave, leave the business or cancel it :Very Happy