ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

bulk split between delveries

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
thehobbit
Posts: 76
Joined: 26 Jun 2014, 12:14
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by thehobbit »

last July one of our older bulk delivery posties went on 2 weeks leave on his duty he always came in a bit early ,finished on time or just after but did not claim ,
while he was off the duty cover posties rushed round finished an hour to hour and half early while making a lot of noise about how easy it was :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: ,

the result of this was while the duty holder was off management took him off the bulk he has been doing this for 3 years , and split the bulk between the deliveries that cover the area saying the van drivers could do it when delivering the parcels , but this would be a temporary measure over the summer to trial it ,

BET YOU CAN TELL WHAT HAPPENNED NEXT
:nana :nana :nana the trial was deemed such a success it was decided to carry it on a permanent basis.


so the old postie came back from his holiday to find he was displaced and pushed from pillar to post , nearly every day he is in the office over performance issues , as he was originally moved to the BULK as he struggled to complete a normal delivery


so the management have saved the hours and it look like the are going to try to force the old postie out ,all due to the inconsiderate posties that rushed round on the holiday cover just thinking of themselves :arrrghhh :arrrghhh instead of thinking what might happen if they cut all the corners they could just to make a bit of time for 2 weeks. :cry :cry
Last edited by thehobbit on 10 Sep 2016, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
thehulk
Posts: 15
Joined: 27 Jan 2013, 09:48
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by thehulk »

This happens all over the country, the duty holder, does the job properly, comes in on time, takes their break.
Then goes on leave, and the runners get on it, who probably come in early, no break, just to finish early, and make the duty holder look slow.
Posties at times are their own worst enemies.
elteleltel
Posts: 120
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
Gender: Male
Location: Hertfordshire

bulk split between delveries

Post by elteleltel »

When I was off sick 6 months back with a busted ankle I saw a colleague of mine who incidentally i get on well with running on my round .I was bloody annoyed but what can you do ...
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by yellowbelly »

elteleltel wrote:When I was off sick 6 months back with a busted ankle I saw a colleague of mine who incidentally i get on well with running on my round .I was bloody annoyed but what can you do ...
There's a lot of posts on the forums referring to 'runners' but I always thought that posters referred to posties who moved at a fast walking pace,
but do some posties actually run with a bundle in their hand or even carrying a bag? Never seen it myself but it sounds bizarre not to say downright dangerous.....
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by Postie45 »

yellowbelly wrote:
elteleltel wrote:When I was off sick 6 months back with a busted ankle I saw a colleague of mine who incidentally i get on well with running on my round .I was bloody annoyed but what can you do ...
There's a lot of posts on the forums referring to 'runners' but I always thought that posters referred to posties who moved at a fast walking pace,
but do some posties actually run with a bundle in their hand or even carrying a bag? Never seen it myself but it sounds bizarre not to say downright dangerous.....
ive seen it in the past, more recently ive seen people in a walk-jog type action
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by Newbie001 »

My usual postman. Used to always see him jogging down the street.
Haven't seen him for a while though, apparently he's on long term sick. Wonder why.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by ScousePostie »

elteleltel wrote:When I was off sick 6 months back with a busted ankle I saw a colleague of mine who incidentally i get on well with running on my round .I was bloody annoyed but what can you do ...
Just out of interest. I see 'runners' used a lot on this forum. I'm wondering when you say you saw him 'running' do you mean walking at a very high pace or, actually running? This isn't being picky, I'm genuinely curious.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by postslippete »

Our postie would definitely get a place in Britains olympic high hurdling team
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

Obviously what you've described is quite vague & open to interpretation, but judging by what you've said regarding him struggling to complete normal deliveries & being in the office constantly over performance issues, it sounds more like the duty holder in question is either not fit enough for the job any longer or was purposely making the duty look more difficult than it actually was as opposed to any wrong doing/corner cutting from people covering his duty while he was on leave.
thehobbit
Posts: 76
Joined: 26 Jun 2014, 12:14
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by thehobbit »

ThatsNotPlumb wrote:Obviously what you've described is quite vague & open to interpretation, but judging by what you've said regarding him struggling to complete normal deliveries & being in the office constantly over performance issues, it sounds more like the duty holder in question is either not fit enough for the job any longer or was purposely making the duty look more difficult than it actually was as opposed to any wrong doing/corner cutting from people covering his duty while he was on leave.
I think you miss the point he was put on the bulk which was a complete delivery ,as he struggled to complete a walking delivery and he had been on this duty for 3 years with out a problem , but when he went on holiday the managers used his time away from the office to remove him from the duty and split the duty between other walking duties to save them the hours using the fact that other younger fitter posties had run round finished early making time and made noise about doing it faster to remove him from a dedicated bulk round ,

and since them he has been put on a different shared duty on a day to day basis which he struggles to complete so cuts off and is taken into the office over "performance issues" most days

if they were going to remove the duty and split it between others why wait until he was on holiday :roll: :roll: so he did not find out until he returned
Last edited by thehobbit on 13 Sep 2016, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by WOBBLY »

ScousePostie wrote:
elteleltel wrote:When I was off sick 6 months back with a busted ankle I saw a colleague of mine who incidentally i get on well with running on my round .I was bloody annoyed but what can you do ...
Just out of interest. I see 'runners' used a lot on this forum. I'm wondering when you say you saw him 'running' do you mean walking at a very high pace or, actually running? This isn't being picky, I'm genuinely curious.
'runners' is a kind of generalised name used for the posties that don't do the job properly - come in early, cut corners, prep D2Ds the day before, don't take break etc...... but we do have posties that actually run in our office! :no no
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by ScousePostie »

WOBBLY wrote:
ScousePostie wrote:
elteleltel wrote:When I was off sick 6 months back with a busted ankle I saw a colleague of mine who incidentally i get on well with running on my round .I was bloody annoyed but what can you do ...
Just out of interest. I see 'runners' used a lot on this forum. I'm wondering when you say you saw him 'running' do you mean walking at a very high pace or, actually running? This isn't being picky, I'm genuinely curious.
'runners' is a kind of generalised name used for the posties that don't do the job properly - come in early, cut corners, prep D2Ds the day before, don't take break etc...... but we do have posties that actually run in our office! :no no
I must admit. I do prep D2Ds the day before IF we've come back early from delivery. We are actually encouraged to do this by management.
elteleltel
Posts: 120
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
Gender: Male
Location: Hertfordshire

bulk split between delveries

Post by elteleltel »

To answer the question re running I would say it was more of a jog , definitely not a fast walk. Quick enough to smash the round up if he could keep it up . I did ask him about it and he said it was a busy day .....
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by eastie »

DOMs will use any excuse to speed people up like when you say early starters, runners , hedge jumpers do the round quicker when you are doing the job properly.
Best thing to do is ask your DOM WHY he or she is faster than you and get the DOM to come out on delivery with you to tell you where you are going wrong.
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

bulk split between delveries

Post by themailman »

Something similar happened in our office.
A postie was given given a duty that included very little walking time out in the street as he claimed he found it too tough, in his case though he got quite a lot of input into how much work he was given. This caused a bit of friction in the office as this type of arrangement wasn't offered to others. So you can imagine that when he was on holiday the knives came out. Not saying it's right, but his duty got well and truly 'found out' in some peoples eyes.